Widows (sic) Explorer

Phil Daniels 02/18/2005 10:19 pm
Since yesterday I have been running an UnRegsistered copy of TrayIcon Pro 1.5 190 SR1 Details of my system hardware & software config are included at the end of this note.

I want to raise two medium priority issues, one minor issue and make one suggestion.

Firstly one of the Tips I received from TrayIcon was that I could context (right) click on files in Windows Explorer and TrayIcon would be there with an option to add the file to the system tray - that ain`t happening on my system, TrayIcon is not manifested in the context menu of any files in any context.

Secondly it appears that since I installed Tray Icon Windows Explorer (i.e EXPLORER.EXE) crashes more frequently that it did previously i.e once an hour rather than once a day. Often its when I context (right) click on an object, other times its when I start, switch or close an app(Window). It does NOT bring Windows down but it does disappear some of my system tray objects including ATItask, Mixer, 3M Notes Lite, DSLMon and Task Scheduler but TrayIcon, the two avast! tasks and SNDVOL are restored as is the clock.

I am not suggested that the two issues are associated, I`ve been around too long to fall into that trap. The first is not major issue, it would be nice if the software worked as it advertises it works, but the second problem is really annoying - I had not realised how dependent I have become on Post It Notes. I am able to get the system back together without restarting Windows, but it involves using Sysinternals Process Explorer (v6.52version 2.0.0 Build 18.77) which ios not something I like doing, and would be beyond the scope of most users.

The minor issue that the option put in the Title bar to minimise to the system tray has no hint when the mouse hovers on it.

But I like TrayIcon, I was not sure that I would but my Desktop and Start Menu are pretty busy these days, the ToolBar option operates in the wrong dimension, hence I thought I`d try TrayIcon. One suggestion I would like to make is that tasks minimised to the system tray be placed into a dynamic menu like that used for starting tasks - probably a user controlled configuration option.

Hardware

200mHz Dell OmniFlex 256Mb RAM. 6GB disk, running Win98SE (tried XP but too much overhead for a machine this size). Internet connection is via 512/256Mb ADSL link. No fancy peripherals.

Software

I am fairly confident that as of Monday 14 feb 2005 all available patches, device drivers etc from Dell, Intel, ATI, Microsoft and other vendors etc were installed.

The major software products I use (i.e. every day) are :

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Mail Thunderbird version 1.0 (20041206)
Diary Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8a5) Gecko/20050203 Sunbird/0.2
Office Open Office 1.1.4
NewsReader 40tude Dialog V 2.0.15.1 (beta 38)
Virus Protection avast! V 4.5 Home Edition Build Nov2004 (4.5.561)
uses ( Xtreme Toolkit V 1.9.4.0 and Active Skin V 4.2.7.3
Malware Protection Ad-Aware SE personal Build 1.05
Image Management Picasa version 2.0.0 Build 18.77)
Post It Notes 3M Post-it® Software Notes Lite Version 3.1.1.1073

Sergey Kovrizhkin 03/16/2005 10:25 am
Dear Phil

Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for your suggestions and the detailed description of a problem.
We hope that the problem you described is corrected.
Please download the updated version of TrayIcon Pro 1.5.190
SR1 and test it.
Thank you for you help.

Best regards,
Sergey Kovrizhkin
MP Staff
Phil Daniels 03/16/2005 03:17 pm
Sergey,

Thanks for the response, I have uninstalled TrayIcon because I found myself reverting to the desktop and start menu, and using TrayIcon less as time went by, i.e. as the novelty wore off. I have tried a three other "launchers", two of them lasted less than a day - cute but really annoying - the other for a couple of days.

You may also be interested in knowing that my system is now really stable, explorer.exe has not crashed for a couple of weeks. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS BECAUSE I UNINSTALLED TRAYICON PRO.

Rather I think it is because I came across Nils Sofer`s Shell Extensions Explorer, Using it, I ruthlessly disabled all the extensions I did not really need, ie those whose absence would not prevent me achieving my objective in some other way. This included more than a few MS installed extensions, e.g. for some reason the MS W98SE install installs a lot of NT specific extensions, there were also extensions for Office and its components - Office has never been installed on this system, etc etc.

Not only has that improved my system`s stability it has improved it`s performance markedly, everything happens a whole lot faster.

So I`ll decline your invitation to install the updated version of TrayIcon, and wish you and metaproducts look fortune, by all means keep me informed of new developments with TrayIcon Pro and other products - but please try to keep it down to say once a month or thereabouts.

Cheers PhilD

> Dear Phil
> > Sorry for the late reply.
> Thank you for your suggestions and the detailed description of a problem.
> We hope that the problem you described is corrected.
> Please download the updated version of TrayIcon Pro 1.5.190
> SR1 and test it.
> Thank you for you help.
> > Best regards,
> Sergey Kovrizhkin
> MP Staff
>