Controlled Startup suggestions

Ron Horn 01/29/2005 04:22 pm
There are 66 programs in my startup list and 37 of them in Controlled Startup. It usually takes a minute or two for the system to load first 29 programs and I`d like to be able to wait until they load before having SO load the remaining 37. Here`s some options for consideration...

1. A setting to define how long to wait before loading Controlled Startup items.

or

2. A setting to have SO prompt me that it`s ready to begin loading Controlled Startup items whereby it waits for me to click on Begin.

Right now I hold down the Shift key when SO signals me and I continue holding it down until the splash screen disappears. I have no indication that it`s seen the Shift key. With 1 or 2 above, I could logon and walk away while the system finishes loading the essentials.

Oleg Chernavin 01/31/2005 12:26 pm
Ron,

We will try to implement one of the above suggestions in the next version of Startup Organizer. Thank you!

However this may take some time (end of February or even in March).

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Harry Parker 02/18/2005 04:41 am
Oleg --

I just purchased StartUp Organizer a little while ago without trying it first because, being a systems software engineer, I`m usually a pretty good judge of software when it is described as well as SO is on your website and when it has received the awards SO has. So I`m just getting started, and I`m very interested in the controlled startup because I have so many programs loading at startup.

For the past several months I`ve been using Startup Guru from Lincoln Beach. Here`s the link:
http://startupguru.lincolnbeach.com/index.asp
If you have not seen their program, I`d like to suggest that you download it. They use a somewhat different method of controlled startup. I`m having some problems with the program, however, and I intend to replace it with SO because SO is a much more comprehensive program. SO has a lot more features and only costs $5 more. You might be able to get some ideas from the way Startup Guru works. Then, again, you may have already seen the program and decided that the way SO works is the best ;-)

Is it possible to put virtually all of the programs into controlled startup? I would like to have the system load system-related programs and SO, and then have SO load the rest of them with delays to provide an orderly startup without programs crashing into each other.

I`m confident I`ve bought a really great program. Any help you can give me on this will be truly appreciated.

Harry

> Ron,
>
> We will try to implement one of the above suggestions in the next version of Startup Organizer. Thank you!
>
> However this may take some time (end of February or even in March).
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 02/21/2005 09:51 am
Thank you for the link! We will study the program.

Yes, you can place all programs to the Controlled Startup. All of them should start without problems there. The only exception is system services. They are being started in completely different way and you cannot move them to the Controlled Startup.

Oleg.
Harry Parker 02/22/2005 08:39 pm
> Thank you for the link! We will study the program.

I felt like you might be familiar with Startup Guru since startup is your business. I like the way SO does it better, and it`s certainly easier to set the order.

> Yes, you can place all programs to the Controlled Startup. All of them should start without problems there. The only exception is system services. They are being started in completely different way and you cannot move them to the Controlled Startup.

I felt that Controlled Startup was exactly for that purpose, but being new to the program, I wasn`t sure if I could put everything there. And, yes, I`m quite familiar with system services.

Two programs that I moved into Controlled Startup were moved back either by Windows or SO before I closed the program, and I got a message from SO about it. Is that normal behavior for some programs?

Harry
Oleg Chernavin 02/24/2005 05:25 am
Some progams can be added back by their setup applications or if their settings were setup to add themselves automatically.

Oleg.
Harry Parker 02/25/2005 07:34 am
Thanks, Oleg. I`m impressed, however, that SO told me it happened. I`ll move any further questions to support because that`s where they belong. These just came up in our discussion here.

Harry

> Some progams can be added back by their setup applications or if their settings were setup to add themselves automatically.
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 02/25/2005 08:05 am
OK.

Oleg.