List describing services

Chris Harlepp 04/09/2004 11:44 am
In an effort to disable as many things with SO, so as not to have such a bloated XO Home system, I`m tempted to deactive certain services, like "MXO Auto Loader" (C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE). But I don`t know what it does, and what effect on the stability of Windows there would be if I deactivate it.
Is there a website that lists many of these components with their description, so that I could figure out what some of these more esoteric files do, and if i can live without them?
Chris
Oleg Chernavin 04/09/2004 02:11 pm
Dear Chris,

I am sorry, but I am not aware of a site with descriptions of all autostart items.

Anyway, I looked at the Services configuration of my XP Home system on a notebook and I haven`t noticed this service. Also, it is quite strange that the service executable file is located in Windows directory, while all services are in windows\system32\ directory usually.

I think that this service should not be crytical for your system, so you can try to turn it off.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Robin Siebler 04/15/2004 03:44 pm
If you download PC Mag`s TaskPower and Startup Cop, you can get descriptions of programs and services. Not every thing will have a description though. You can also just search Google.

> In an effort to disable as many things with SO, so as not to have such a bloated XO Home system, I`m tempted to deactive certain services, like "MXO Auto Loader" (C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE). But I don`t know what it does, and what effect on the stability of Windows there would be if I deactivate it.
> Is there a website that lists many of these components with their description, so that I could figure out what some of these more esoteric files do, and if i can live without them?
> Chris
Oleg Chernavin 04/15/2004 03:52 pm
Thank you! Actually, we plan to add a button to make an automatic search in Google for an application of a service. This may make things a bit easier.

Oleg.
Jaxman 06/24/2005 08:35 pm
> Thank you! Actually, we plan to add a button to make an automatic search in Google for an application of a service. This may make things a bit easier.
>
> Oleg.

Now that is an excellent upgrade and would be a sure winner for StartUp Organizer!!!
Oleg Chernavin 06/27/2005 05:53 am
Thank you!

Oleg.
akc 10/29/2005 06:08 am
Hello,

Do you have an external Hard Drive? Is it a Maxtor? If not, is your computer second hand that may not have been cleaned of old drivers?
When I connected a new, Maxtor One Touch external hard drive to a usb port and installed the software, this was installed in the startup:
MXO Auto Loader(C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE)
I have disabled this from starting without any problem. My guess would be, no external drive, you will not need it, so disable or remove, the choice is yours.
Hope this helps.

> In an effort disable as many things with SO, so as not to have such a bloated XO Home system, I`m tempted to deactive certain services, like "MXO Auto Loader" (C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE). But I don`t know what it does, and what effect on the stability of Windows there would be if I deactivate it.
> Is there a website that lists many of these components with their description, so that I could figure out what some of these more esoteric files do, and if i can live without them?
> Chris
John Johnston 11/12/2005 02:28 pm
Take a look at http://www.fairnet.org/Agencies/startup_list/startups_all.htm You can do a search for services and see what they are suppose to do.

As Chris noted, the service is related to Maxtor:

Maxtor includes a driver to bypass the Windows certified drivers check just when it detects an external drive. MXOaldr.exe is installed with the new driver and if disabled the button on a Maxtor OneTouch External Store no longer functions