All the projects are lost

Martin 05/03/2012 09:50 am
Yesterday when I launched POB all the projects are gone. The project list was empty. I was able to retrieve the files downloaded before in the folder where POB has been installed to. But still don't know why all the projects went missing? Is there any way to get them back? (I didn't back-up the project settings, but since the files are still there, there should be a way). Thank you!
Oleg Chernavin 05/03/2012 09:52 am
In most cases, it is easy to recover lost projects. All Projects are in the webdown.dat file, and there are many backups of that file.

Open the Options dialog | Advanced | File Locations section. Please see the Projects, Maps and Templates folder location.

Now quit Portable Offline Browser, open Windows Explorer and browse to that folder. Select all files with the webdown filename (webdown.dat is the Projects file, the rest are backup copies) and copy them to another directory to keep them intact.

Select the most recent file with the maximum size and copy it back under the webdown.dat filename.

Start Portable Offline Browser to see if all of your Projects are in place. If something is wrong with the Projects list, try to repeat the process with another webdown file.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Martin 05/10/2012 12:30 pm
Thank you! They were back.
Oleg Chernavin 05/10/2012 03:15 pm
Great! You are welcome!

Oleg.
Tom Gooch 07/04/2012 05:25 am
I had a hard drive crash, from which I've recovered the data. I have found the WebDown.dat file from my old ard drive data, but can't find any files by that name on my new hard drive. The path specified as the Projects, templates and maps directory doesn't exist. I want to replace the current WebDown.dat file with the old one, but can't find the current one!
Oleg Chernavin 07/04/2012 05:28 am
Please install Portable Offline Browser to some new folder, different from Program Files. Windows restricts access to it.

Then start Portable Offline Browser from the new location and it should create the Projects subfolder in it. Place the old webdown.dat file and maps there after you quit the program. On the next start the Projects should be loaded into Portable Offline Browser.

Oleg.