Updating a Project takes too long...

Twisted 03/27/2005 07:55 am
Hello, I have a question:
Let`s say that I downloaded a project that has 20.000 files, and I want to update it.
The problem is that OE then checks each file and I have to wait a (very) long time before just a few pages were downloaded....
What can I do to shorten this period ??
Oleg Chernavin 03/28/2005 07:07 am
Can you tell me, what File Modification Method do you use in the Project Properties dialog?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Twisted 03/28/2005 03:34 pm
> Can you tell me, what File Modification Method do you use in the Project Properties dialog?
> > Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

In the File Filters section,I load files using "URL filter" settings...if that`s what you mean by "File Modification Method" ...
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2005 06:31 am
No. When you open the Project Properties dialog you will see four choices - "Load only modified and new files, load all files, etc." - which of them you have selected.

Oleg.
Twisted 03/29/2005 07:32 am
> No. When you open the Project Properties dialog you will see four choices - "Load only modified and new files, load all files, etc." - which of them you have selected.
> > Oleg.

I have selected "Download only Modified and New Files" and have also checked "Skip existing Media Files" .
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2005 08:23 am
In this case Offline Explorer will check every downloaded file on the server if it was changed or not. However many servers do not support file modification checks, especially for dynamicly-generated files, like php, jsp, asp, etc. They always report that such files are new or changed even if they were not updated at all.

Oleg.
Twisted 03/29/2005 09:42 am
> In this case Offline Explorer will check every downloaded file on the server if it was changed or not. However many servers do not support file modification checks, especially for dynamicly-generated files, like php, jsp, asp, etc. They always report that such files are new or changed even if they were not updated at all.
> > Oleg.

I think it all makes sense now, because when I try downloading a forum that relies on php files, using
"Download only New and Modified Files" , I always get an enormous queue that ends up in freezing OE, and I believe this is because the server reports that the files were changed(or new) even though they are not, and I end up downloading them each time...
Will "Do not Download Exisiting Files" prevent the problem mentioned above?
Oleg Chernavin 03/30/2005 03:20 am
Do not load... will probably not help, because if some files that were already loaded have changed, Offline Explorer will not even try to load them and it will not get the updated files. This mode is useful when you loaded some site partially and you want to get missing files.

Oleg.
Twisted 03/30/2005 09:57 am
So, what would be the best method for updating a forum that uses PHP/ASP/CGI scripts .....?
Oleg Chernavin 03/30/2005 10:06 am
I would suggest you to try the 4th method with Level=0 or 1. This way Offline Explorer will load first page with links to actual messages and then it will load only the messages it doesn`t have on the disk.

Oleg.
Twisted 04/02/2005 05:41 am
> I would suggest you to try the 4th method with Level=0 or 1. This way Offline Explorer will load first page with links to actual messages and then it will load only the messages it doesn`t have on the disk.
> > Oleg.

One of the best methods actually would be to set in the filenames dialog, in "included filenames" only the files:
"showthread.php"
"showreply.php"
In this case,OE would only get the files who`s name mathces these, no??
I`m saying this because I tried what you said earlyer and OE tried to download the "reply", "send PM" or "edit post" link, but I`m not registered on the forum,so all these links redirect to a single "login.php"
page. I noticed this after looking at the "Map" tab, and I saw lots of "login.php" files that were downloaded.
So,if I try this method I mentioned earlier, OE only downloads those files right? and nothing more ?
Oleg Chernavin 04/03/2005 02:10 pm
Yes, you are correct - this is the easy way to filter only the pages you need.

Oleg.