OE shows downloaded 5 GB, but I see only 600 MB, besides the site is only 2.5 GB!

David 09/13/2004 06:00 pm
I decided to download the ftp directory «http://biblion.realin.ru/listing/index.php?path=video%2F91-115_ZHitiya_svyatyh._Svyaschennomuchenik_A._Uminskij/» with OE.
I have run it for 5 days and OE shows Size: 5035634 Kb, but there are only some 600 MB downloaded. I am afraid to close OE beacause I know I close the project without saving, OE will delete all those gigabytes without asking. Besided I cann`t find them on my computer. The OE temp direcotry: C:\Documents and Settings\Nika\Application Data\Offline Explorer contains only few kilobytes. The only correct thing the OE shows is number of files left to download. They are 17. Whole ftp directory is only 24 files with average size below 100 Mb. Where does OE gets those 5GB? Where they are? One thing this progy lacks is progress bar and "normal" resume of incomplete downloads, without saving thousands of megabytes with suspend command! Otherwise the speed is great!
09/13/2004 08:04 pm
> The only correct thing the OE shows is number of files left to download.
> They are 17. Whole ftp directory is only 24 files with average size below 100 Mb.

I never would download such things with OE. This is a typical job for Download Managers, that are able to resume file downloads (Mass Downloader or Download Express...).

> Where does OE gets those 5GB?

I suppose the download file size is correct and OE lost sometimes the connection or something else went wrong...
What are your Project settings?

---------------
URL:
http://biblion.realin.ru/listing/index.php?path=video%2F91-115_ZHitiya_svyatyh._Svyaschennomuchenik_A._Uminskij/

Level limit:

File filters:
Video:
Load from any site
---------------

Where they are?
Look in Tools... Options... Advanced... File Locations...

Download directory:
This is the place where OE stores finished downloads (your 600 MB; 7 avi files).

Temporary directory:
This is the place where OE stores not yet completed downloads (*.tmp; for example: htt*.tmp). When you close OE, TMP-files will be erased. You have no good chances to get them back (File Recovery tools). In your case I would have killed (not closed) the oe.exe process in order to move these files, renamed them with the correct names and tried to resume the download with a Download Manager.

> One thing this progy lacks is progress bar and "normal" resume of incomplete downloads,
> without saving thousands of megabytes with suspend command!

Recently there was a discussion on this topic in the OEP-Forum:
Subject: Improved Suspend / Suspend to File Feature
http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpSupport_User_Forums_Message.asp?id=6901

You see: it`s a difficult task...

> Otherwise the speed is great!

That`s for sure. :-)

HTH
David 09/14/2004 01:38 am
> I never would download such things with OE. This is a typical job for Download Managers, that are able to resume file downloads (Mass Downloader or Download Express...).

I have other directories from this ftp in download manager too. It works 3 times slover!

> What are your Project settings?
Where did you get my Project settings. Do you have a backdoor in your software?
They are OK because the files being downloaded and their number are OK and they are the way you stated.

> Where they are?
> Look in Tools... Options... Advanced... File Locations...
>
> Download directory:
> This is the place where OE stores finished downloads (your 600 MB; 7 avi files).
I know!

> Temporary directory:
> This is the place where OE stores not yet completed downloads (*.tmp; for example: htt*.tmp). When you close OE, TMP-files will be erased. You have no good chances to get them back (File Recovery tools). In your case I would have killed (not closed) the oe.exe process in order to move these files, renamed them with the correct names and tried to resume the download with a Download Manager.

There is "Downloads directory" and "Projects, templates and maps directory"! And it contains 117 Kb! I searched the HD for a file name w/o extension which is not still downloaded - no results to display! Maybe the site has blocked access from OE and the download is just waste of B/W? But the size of directory was kilobytes even when downloads actually took place!

> Recently there was a discussion on this topic in the OEP-Forum:
> Subject: Improved Suspend / Suspend to File Feature
> http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpSupport_User_Forums_Message.asp?id=6901
>
> You see: it`s a difficult task...

I see, but probably you should give an option not to delete the files larger than... e.g. 10Mb. They usually are not changed on sites and they are most worth saving!
David 09/14/2004 02:00 am
> I never would download such things with OE. This is a typical job for Download Managers, that are able to resume file downloads (Mass Downloader or Download Express...).

The site has many directories. To download them with Download manager like Net Transport you have to enter each directory choose all files, then create similar direcotry on HD and save the files there! OE does it internaly.
David 09/14/2004 02:40 am
The "Size:" just became 1MB!
David 09/14/2004 03:01 am
I give up, bye!
09/14/2004 04:04 am
> I have other directories from this ftp in download manager too. It works 3 times slover!

The download speed can vary (internal download limits, much traffic on the site, ...).
But for sure, there are also Download Managers, which are really slow - compared to others. I wasn`t really satisfied with GetRight....
In OE you have the option to redirect downloads to MassDownloader (files bigger than... in "File filters"). So you haven`t got any problems with complicated directory structures. That`s a great benefit.

> Where did you get my Project settings. Do you have a backdoor in your software?

:-)
You`re joking! A backdoor for other users? I`m not a member of MetaProducts.
IIRC, Oleg said some time ago: the software hasn`t got any backdoors.

>>> Where they are?
>> Look in Tools... Options... Advanced... File Locations...
>>
>> Download directory:
>> This is the place where OE stores finished downloads (your 600 MB; 7 avi files).
>>
>> Temporary directory:
>
> There is "Downloads directory" and "Projects, templates and maps directory"!

Hmmm, what Edition are you using; Standard, Pro or Enterprise (newest Edition)?
Can`t you see "Temporary directory:" in: Tools... Options... Advanced... File Locations... ?

In OEP you will see:
-----
Download directory:
Hard disk free space:
Disk free space limit:
Temporary directory:
Maintenance
Prevent download directories from overloading.
Projects, templates and maps directory:
-----

The Temporary directory in OE should be your standard Windows Temp directory, if you haven`t changed it in OE.

> I searched the HD for a file name w/o extension which is not still downloaded - no results to display!

Your htt*.tmp files are erased (your 5 GB downloads), as i said before. Even with a special File Recovery tool the chances are very little to get them back. (I guess, partial sectors are already overwritten).

Try the following to find the OE Temp directory:
Start a new Project (download a big file).
Go to your Windows Temp directory (you can search for a "TEMP" subfolder under "Documents and Settings"). See if there are any htt*.tmp files... or search for htt*.tmp in a File Manager.

> Maybe the site has blocked access from OE and the download is just waste of B/W?

I tried to download from the site. It`s now really slow, but still accessable.

>> Recently there was a discussion on this topic in the OEP-Forum:
>> Subject: Improved Suspend / Suspend to File Feature
>> http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpSupport_User_Forums_Message.asp?id=6901
>>
>> You see: it`s a difficult task...
>
> I see, but probably you should give an option not to delete the files larger than... e.g. 10Mb.

This last question is for Oleg... ;-)
Oleg Chernavin 09/14/2004 04:59 am
I think that the most possible reason is that the directory contains too many files. Offline Explorer loads new files, but Windows doesn`t add them to the directory.

To overcome this, please make sure that the "Prevent download directories from overloading" box is checked in the Options dialog | File Locations section. Click OK button. I would suggest you to erase the downloaded files for that Project and start again.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
09/14/2004 06:22 am
> I think that the most possible reason is that the directory contains too many files.
> Offline Explorer loads new files, but Windows doesn`t add them to the directory.

This would be a possible reason, if his Project would download thousands of files. But he only wants to download 24 files:

| The only correct thing the OE shows is number of files left to download. They are 17.
| Whole ftp directory is only 24 files with average size below 100 Mb.

The download with the above settings works ok for me (of course, I didn`t finished the download, but the Queue doesn`t show many files).
Oleg Chernavin 09/14/2004 06:28 am
Yes, it is strange. I only hope that he has enough disk space on all hard disks. Offline Explorer uses a temporary folder on the disk and the download directory.

Oleg.
David 09/21/2004 01:36 am
I reduced the number of connections to 2. Now OE shows it has downloaded 340524 Kb but has not downloaded a single 100 Mb file!
Oleg Chernavin 09/28/2004 02:03 pm
I just made a significant bug fix and this may help with the problem.

Can you please download the updated version here:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1808.zip

Unzip the file and replace the old oe.exe file with the new one. Please let
me know how it works.

Thank you!

Oleg.
09/28/2004 04:02 pm
@David: I assume that you are using Offline Explorer and not Offline Explorer Pro.

The link listed above leads to the current beta of Offline Explorer Pro.
(BTW: The exe-version is 3.4.1809 and not - as you might think - 3.4.1808)

The last Offline Explorer version might be:
http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oe1795.zip
(however: probably without the mentioned adaptations)

@Oleg: Or did you already adjust the Offline Explorer version?
Oleg Chernavin 09/29/2004 06:54 am
I am going to release the new version of all Offline Explorer editions today. So, please wait a little.

Oleg.