Help! How do I recover a lost Project?

Greg Pearson 09/10/2004 05:37 am
Hi.

I just finished downloading a large site off our intranet. Everything seemed to be proceding OK when the system froze. I restarted Offline Explorer (like I have before without problem). However, this time, the entire Project was gone!

Question #1: How do I recover the lost Project?? [very important!!]

I read on one posting:

"All Projects are located in webdown.dat file. You can search your hard disk to find the file. It is usually located in your personal "Application Data\Offline Explorer" directory."

If this is true, how do I "open" this ".dat" file?

Question #2: In the future, how do I "save" the Project? [there is File->Open or File-Save in this application ...]

Thanks in advance.

Greg

09/10/2004 09:52 am
> Question #1: How do I recover the lost Project?? [very important!!]

You mean the Project settings?
You can`t remember your Project settings? You could start a new Project with the same settings and continue the download process (i.e.: "Do not download existing files").

> "All Projects are located in webdown.dat file.
> You can search your hard disk to find the file.
> It is usually located in your personal "Application Data\Offline Explorer" directory."
>
> If this is true

Yes. Webdown.dat could also be located in OE`s program directory.

> how do I "open" this ".dat" file?

You don`t have to "open" the file.
OE makes some backups of webdown.dat (webdown.*).
Is the webdown.dat ok and the most recent and biggest one of all webdown.* files?
If that`s true and you can`t find your Project: :-(

But you can try the following:

- Close OE
- Please copy all webdown.* files to a save place.
- Rename the most recent and biggest webdown.b* file to webdown.dat
- Look if your last Project is back in OE
- You can try the same procedure with the other webdown.* files, but I don`t think that you will see your last Project again.

> Question #2: In the future, how do I "save" the Project?

I always use "File... Save changes (CTRL+S)" before I start an important Project.
Also: have a look in Tools... Options... Advanced... Autosave...

HTH.
Greg Pearson 09/13/2004 09:37 am
> > Question #1: How do I recover the lost Project?? [very important!!]
>
> You mean the Project settings?
> You can`t remember your Project settings? You could start a new Project with the same settings and continue the download process (i.e.: "Do not download existing files").
>
> > "All Projects are located in webdown.dat file.
> > You can search your hard disk to find the file.
> > It is usually located in your personal "Application Data\Offline Explorer" directory."
> >
> > If this is true
>
> Yes. Webdown.dat could also be located in OE`s program directory.
>
> > how do I "open" this ".dat" file?
>
> You don`t have to "open" the file.
> OE makes some backups of webdown.dat (webdown.*).
> Is the webdown.dat ok and the most recent and biggest one of all webdown.* files?
> If that`s true and you can`t find your Project: :-(
>
> But you can try the following:
>
> - Close OE
> - Please copy all webdown.* files to a save place.
> - Rename the most recent and biggest webdown.b* file to webdown.dat
> - Look if your last Project is back in OE
> - You can try the same procedure with the other webdown.* files, but I don`t think that you will see your last Project again.
>
> > Question #2: In the future, how do I "save" the Project?
>
> I always use "File... Save changes (CTRL+S)" before I start an important Project.
> Also: have a look in Tools... Options... Advanced... Autosave...
>
> HTH.

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. Before receiving it, however, I went ahead and recreated the project from scratch.

I am still confused on how Offline Explorer creates projects.

What I want to do is this:

1. Create a project with possibly hundreds of exclusions (server, directory, filename, etc).

2. Run the project.

3. Save the project so that I can return to it (at any time) and run it again.

4. And be able to easily do this for many projects (i.e. have a folder called Projects where I can quickly load the project I want to run).

Conlusion:

1. The procedure described in your e-mail seems too complicated (especially for multiple projects).

2. The Backup/Restore method works but is too large since it apparently backs up all the download files.

Is there no other way? I just need a File/Project/Open and a File/Project/Save ...

Really need to figure this out for work.

Thanks!

Greg

Oleg Chernavin 09/13/2004 11:01 am
It is some kind of problem here, because Offline Explorer should preserve all your Projects automatically.

Can you please try to create any Project (even with a fake URL), then go to File | Save, then quit Offline Explorer and start it again? Would that Project be preserved?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff