Use Offline Explorer to monitor competitor`s web-site?
|Paul Edwards||01/12/2004 08:58 am|
I`ve just read an article that suggest a simple solution on how I can use off-line browser and another product to monitor competitor`s web-site. This is the article http://comparesuite.com/solutions/competitive_intelligence_monitor_competitor_web-site.htm.
It seems to be very simple. I wonder if someone has such a task -- use Offline Explorer to monitor competitors` web-site and would share his opinion.
|Oleg Chernavin||01/22/2004 09:00 am|
We haven`t done this yet automatically, but I can say how to fine-tune Offline Explorer Project to make this kind of analysys.
1. You need to create a new Project or open an existing one. Set its URL to the competitor`s site address, uncheck Level setting to download the whole site.
2. To download only text files simply uncheck the File Filters | Images category.
3. Go to URL Filters | Server and select "Load only from the starting server"
4. In the Schedule section set how often do you want to download the site.
5. If you want to keep old copies of pages, use File Copies section. This way you will be able to compare versions of changed pages.
Now you can click OK button and download the site. On the next download you can easily find changed pages using the Edit | Find Contents feature - keep the keywords field blank and amke the search of "Recently loaded files only" - you will get a list of pages that were changed since the last download. Double-clicking the page will show it in the Internal browser for your review.
If you have more questions or suggestions, please let me know.