URL Substitution Not Substituting...

Author Message
Terry Steyaert 06/11/2014 02:10 pm
I'm attempting to manipulate the URLs for a site to remove a directory and it just isn't doing anything. The site URL is formatted like:

http://site.domain/s/12345/useless-text-is-here

I've tried several substitutions, {:0-99999}/*, and [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]/*, both with the /s/ and with site.domain/s/. I then replace with the same thing excluding the /*, so

http://site.domain/s/12345/useless-text-is-here

should convert to:

http://site.domain/s/12345

Instead, when I test, nothing happens to the test URL and I'm getting frustrated! It seems like both possibilities should work, but doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks in advance,

Terry
Terry Steyaert 06/11/2014 02:23 pm
I did figure it out, although I'm not sure I really understand. Basically, I simplified. the only directories in the directory that I care about are all of the [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] format, so I changed:

URL: site.domain/s/*

Replace: site.domain/s/**/*

With: site.domain/s/**


I would think it would still work with either the [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] or the {:0..99999}. Not sure if the macros didn't work in which of the fields, but they definitely didn't work. Without them, it functioned as I expected.

Terry
Oleg Chernavin 06/20/2014 10:06 am
Terry, yes the last rule is correct. You should not use enumerating macros in substitutes. They are not supported there.

The [0-9]... keyword would work for the URL: field, but not Replace: field. Because you would be unable to specify that this part of URL should be kept or copied to some other place. Only asterisks can do this job.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff