64 bit ??

Peter Hawkins 03/25/2012 12:41 pm
OE Pro is a great program but it is really starting to lag behind the OS and hardware. Is there any chance of a 64 bit version that will use all of the memory in modern systems?
Oleg Chernavin 03/26/2012 05:52 am
We have some priority plans for now and we will get closer to 64-bit implementation in the second half of this year.

Oleg.
Peter Hawkins 03/26/2012 06:29 am
Thanks Oleg, I look forward to that.
Oleg Chernavin 03/26/2012 06:29 am
You are welcome!

Oleg.
Eros 06/28/2012 08:02 am
Oleg, can you give an ETA when OE will be available as 64-bit?
I would like to feed new list of tests to OE, but I don't trust my 32-bit OS for any jobs of high intensity anymore. I guess 64-bit may solve possible memory leaks still present in OE's memory manager too.
Oleg Chernavin 06/28/2012 08:04 am
I think, we will start working on this closer to the end of this year. Sorry, I have no detailed plans at this time.

Meanwhile, can you tell me what project do you download that consumes over 2 GBs RAM? Maybe I will be able to make optimizations?

Oleg.
Eros 06/28/2012 02:35 pm
The thing is, that I have to strip my 32-bit OS down to bare bones, so it couldn't interrupt OE by eating away available memory. I've seen OE crash even at 1.7GB - it could have been because of OS's greed or OE suddenly encountered a 300MB operation and then crashed, or because of other, still unfixed "parsing" bugs in OE.

Solution for 32-bit OS, OE's possible memory leak, is to either limit OE's RAM consumption max peak to 1.5GB - I've never seen any app crash with such consumption, so it would be OK. And when you finally come out with 64-bit version of OE, remove 32-bit version permanently and update the system requirements section with "64-bit OS required". But then again, it may still crash then too, if my project wants over 4GB of RAM and OE still lacks the proper tuning for such case.

My projects aren't tiny, they are massive, like really huge. All last projects together absorbed ~200GB of space and had ~250 000 files, but I still only got a tiny fragment of each site, since OE had a 30% of crash chance due to various, still unfixed and unknown reasons.
My projects are all actually pretty simple: just download pictures and flash animations from huge galleries. Each gallery consists of up to 200 000 files. With flash animation download, OE crashed twice as much.

I'm going to try the new projects on my 64-bit Win7U, where OS and other apps most definitely cannot interrupt OE in any way, due to 8GB of RAM, so the 2GB 32-bit app limit is the roof in case OE's memory manager doesn't really set any limits or just leaks. Of course, other problems besides memory, may still occur too.
I really wish that OE did include some kind of a "debug helper" for easier and faster bug finding and fixing.
Oleg Chernavin 06/29/2012 05:28 am
Did you try Enterprise edition? It has much better memory usage.

Oleg.
Eros 06/30/2012 07:48 pm
Well, sorry for posting under wrong forum, but I am using OEE. Though, I haven't done any jobs with the latest version of it yet.
If you want OEE to support "big" jobs, it should be able to run on "big" machines or else, it won't be able to do big jobs and nobody will pay such money for it.
I will soon start new jobs list with latest OEE and I'll report all problems I might encounter.
Oleg Chernavin 07/01/2012 03:35 am
Yes, this information would be very useful to me!

Thank you!

Oleg.