Searching Offline and what does Optimize Search Index do?

spiffing 04/22/2010 09:09 am
I realise a website's own search engine won't work after it's been downloaded but I’ve tried to do a search with the “Find Contents” and that doesn't seem to work either. I've selected various check boxes in there but cannot get any search results, even after typing the word “the”.

Also, what does “Optimize Search Index” do? Does it index the text within a downloaded project, similar to what google would do on the internet? I have clicked it a few times now and nothing seems to have happened with it. Or am I not looking in the right place for results? I thought it may somehow be linked to the “Find Contents” feature?

Is there anything else or any tools I can use to search within Internet Explorer?
Oleg Chernavin 04/22/2010 10:21 am
Can you try to uncheck the "Indexed search" in the Find Contents dialog? Would this help?

If not, please let me know the site URL and I will try myself.

Optimize Index simply packs the database file with indexes.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
spiffing 04/22/2010 11:15 am
Thanks for replying Oleg.

I've tried various combinations of the checking and unchecking the boxes including unchecking "Indexed Search". The search clicks for a split second but nothing happens. I just downloaded a couple of pages of metaproducts.com and they searched offline ok.

It was an old website I'd previously downloaded that is no longer around. I've just transferred it to a new computer along with the webdown file. I can view it fine in Offline Explorer but it just doesn't want to search. Should there be any more files I need to copy to the new computer, apart from the webdown file? I get the feeling it's my transferring to the new computer that's caused the problem, so is there a way to get offline explorer to read it.

If worse comes to the worse, is it possible to download the file from my computer, back to my computer, making it searchable again?

Again, thank you for your reply.
Oleg Chernavin 04/22/2010 01:21 pm
I see now. Please try to select it and use the Restore Project Map button on the Tools tab of the Ribbon. When the parsing message on the status bar disappears, please see if the Project Map contains the files. Search works only with the files listed in the Project map.

Oleg.
spiffing 04/22/2010 07:08 pm
Oleg......You really know your stuff!

That worked perfectly. And it was so easy (when you helped).

Thanks for all your help.
Oleg Chernavin 04/23/2010 05:28 am
Great that it works!

Oleg.