Trouble exporting to .exe file - contents.htm not found error

Bruce 03/30/2010 08:46 pm
Hello,

Using registered software: Offline Explorer Pro 5.8.3174 Service Release 1

I have downloaded a 100,000 page website and when I am trying to burn it to a DVD as an .exe file or just to try and copy the HTML. I have two problems:

1. Exporting to a .exe causes an error when I try to run the .exe file

This is the error that I get when I try to run the .exe file:

Document not found
This page is not accessible offline. Possible reasons: either it was an invalid link on the server or Project settings do not allow the page to be downloaded.

Click here to go online: http://contents.htm

2. Half the pages disappear when I load run the default.htm file (or any .html file) locally

When I use the Offline Explorer's Browse feature, the site loads great in Firefox (3.5.8), but when I try to run the site from opening the default.htm file locally, (so i'm browsing with the url starting as "file:///C:/") then half the pages of the site are missing!

Desperate - I've spend dozens of hours trying to figure this out. Each export takes 2 hours to make, and the download took nearly 24 hours with a high speed connection!

Thanks!
Oleg Chernavin 03/31/2010 04:20 am
Can you please select the Project and use the Tools - Restore Project Map button? Then try to export. Make sure that the "Create contents file" box is checked in the Export dialog.

Would this help?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Bruce 04/01/2010 06:08 pm
Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your response.

I tried this, and it didn't work. I found out I cannot use an executable, so i'm trying to export the files to copy to a DVD.

I still have the same problem. When I try and explore the files by double clicking on Default.htm the site is incomplete. But when I use the internal browser within OFfline Explorer Pro, the site is complete.

I have lots of "%&Ovr0" (from 0 to 21) directories that do not match anything on the web server.

I performed a search for a few of the missing html pages (which appear in the internal browser, but do not appear when i export), and the random test of pages I search for, I found the files only in the "%&OvrX" directories, and not in the standard tree.

I have thousands of files in these directories, and I don't know where they all go. Is there anyway i can fix this?

Thanks!
Bruce
Oleg Chernavin 04/02/2010 04:56 am
Bruce,

These directories are normal. They are created automatically when some folder contains over 1000 files. Windows filesystems have a limit on the number of files per folder. FAT32 refuses to add more files and NTFS slows down Windows greatly when accessing such folder.

Please make sure that the Export dialog doesn't have the "Faster export" box checked. It should be unchecked in order to correctly link all these pages in overloaded folders.

Oleg.