Existing Media Files

Peter Hawkins 08/21/2009 11:58 am
Our internal intranet includes a lot of scanned images of documents. As a quick operation I needed to do a quick update with OE pro targetting a new destination disk. To avoid having to copy all the previously downloaded images to this new disk (to prevent them being downloaded again) I replaced the existing downloaded images with zero legnth files so the files would exist but not take up loads of disk space.

However when I start the download OE Pro downloads these images again even though the file already exists and I have checked "Download only modified and new files" and "Skip Existing Media Files". Is this normal. Does OE pro regard zero length files as "not existing" so it downloads them again?

Thanks
Oleg Chernavin 08/24/2009 08:24 am
Yes, there is a special check - if a file has zero size it is considered as invalid and will be redownloaded. Several users asked to make this behavior. If the file will be 1 byte in size, Offline Explorer will not load them again.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Peter Hawkins 08/24/2009 08:51 am
Thanks for that, I''ll use 1 byte file sin future.

Another question for you!

As a feature for new versions would it be possible to enhance the feature "Skip existing media files" to allow existing files matching a pattern to be skipped. We have lots of large files with various strange extensions. At the moment OE Pro has to check if the file has changed to decide whether to download.

It would be nice if there was a tab in the properties to specify wildcards. If a file matched a wildcard it would be skipped, not just media files.

Peter
Oleg Chernavin 08/24/2009 09:11 am
Add the following line to the URLs field:

SkipExistingFiles=*.pdf,*.exe

The masks have the same format as URL Filters keywords.

Oleg.
Peter Hawkins 08/26/2009 08:36 am
If I try

SkipExistingFiles=docview.*,docindex.*

to cover files such as

docview.php?id=64
docindex?level=3

It still downloads existing files. If I use just one parameter:

SkipExistingFiles=docview.*

The docview files are skipped. It seems to work for one parameter only.

Latest version of OE Pro.
Oleg Chernavin 08/26/2009 09:15 am
Please replace oe.exe file with this version:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/OEP3098.ZIP

Would it work correctly?

Oleg.
Peter Hawkins 08/28/2009 06:50 am
I did a quick test and that seems fine. I will test on a larger run later.

Many thanks again for the great support
Oleg Chernavin 08/28/2009 07:26 am
OK. Good.

Oleg.
Peter Hawkins 09/28/2009 07:25 am
I'm now on 5.7.3110 Release and "SkipExistingFiles" does not seem to be working. When I run a download the queue fills with files that are already downloaded and which I have included in SkipExistingFiles line in the URL box.
I have placed SkipExistingFiles=docview.* in the URL box and all the old docview files are filling up the queue.

Oleg Chernavin 09/28/2009 08:12 am
This code haven't changed for a long time. I assume that it is simply a case problem. Like docview.* doesn't match DocView.htm file. As a temporary solution, please add more masks there:

SkipExistingFiles=docview.*,DocView.*, Docview.*

Next version will overcome this automatically.

Oleg.