how to download links ending with #

RickD 02/14/2009 12:00 pm
Hi,
I''m trying to download from a site where the links to further pages are made to look the same as the current page''s url, but end with # (i''m pretty new at this, but guessing this is a javascript thing?) This has the effect that the target page and the referer are the same url, and I can''t seem to get OE to follow these links. Is there a simple way round this? Many thanks in advance.

Oleg Chernavin 02/14/2009 01:12 pm
# symbol simply means to scroll to some position inside the same page. It is not a different page. This is why Offline Explorer loads links without # symbol. But these parts are preserved in downloaded Web pages, so offline browsing should go smoothly.

However there is a bug in MS Internet Explorer - when it browses from the disk, it tries to find a file with # symbol in its filename. Other browsers (FireFox, Opera) treat such links correctly. So, you can browse this site offline either inside Offline Explorer or with an alternative browser. (I haven''t checked yet, if MS IE 8.0 have this issue fixed or not.)

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
RickD 02/15/2009 01:37 pm
Hi Oleg, thanks for your reply. I''ve double checked the links, but in this case i don''t think this is how the # symbol is functioning. All the links on a particular page have exactly the same url as the page that contains them, with the exception of terminating with #. Clicking the links loads an entirely new page (a different page for each link) rather than jumping to a different section of the same page. The new pages contain links to further pages, all of which apparently have the same url as the original page, again terminating with #. If i try to view the html source of these new pages, all i see is the source of the original page, but it does appear to contain some javascripting, hence my thinking about the function of #.

> # symbol simply means to scroll to some position inside the same page. It is not a different page. This is why Offline Explorer loads links without # symbol. But these parts are preserved in downloaded Web pages, so offline browsing should go smoothly.
>
> However there is a bug in MS Internet Explorer - when it browses from the disk, it tries to find a file with # symbol in its filename. Other browsers (FireFox, Opera) treat such links correctly. So, you can browse this site offline either inside Offline Explorer or with an alternative browser. (I haven''''t checked yet, if MS IE 8.0 have this issue fixed or not.)
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 02/15/2009 02:25 pm
I see. Can you tell me this page URL and what actual links load this way? I will see what can be done.

Oleg.