Basics of OE5?

Ante 01/22/2009 04:19 pm
I bought OE Pro 5.2 and it seems I have I problem understanding how it works. I downloaded the whole site ''theoildrum.com'' and named the folder ''TOD 13 IX 08''. So far, so good.
I made the backup of all that on an external disk. As there is a small htm file there ''default.htm'' by clicking on it my browser opens with a simple link with this name and by clicking on that link I get the whole site for off line browsing.
However, I got several problems and it seems it is becoming worse and worse.
I will try to summarize everything in a few questions:
1. How can I direct OE to the folder ''download'' (or any other folder that contains files downloaded with OE) on the backup disk and update downloaded site there?
2. I tried to do this on the original ''download'' folder with the original default.htm file and messed up something. I tried to update the downloaded website but the only result was that the original link (TOD 13 IX 08) disappeared and instead of it I got the names of two links which I tried to update. I deleted that default.htm and then COPIED BACK the original default.htm from the backup set. This was bad idea because this was the result: Firefox can''t find the file at /D:/download/www.theoildrum.com/default.htm. However, this was the original file which works fine when I click on it (Mozilla opens up and everything is there) IN THE BACKUP DATA SET? It works in the backup set but it does not work in the original set?
That is the only site I downloaded with OE (it is 3 GB of files). I used some other programs for downloading sites and it was very simple procedure. It does not seem to be the case with OE.
The web site I tried to update has a link in the header named ''Archive'' Inside there is a list of files sorted by the month(s). I just want to be able to update this Archive with a new month and still want to have everything under the original name (in this case ''TOD 13 IX 08). I do not want to get another subproject named e.g ''November 2008'' - The original downloaded site should have updated link Archive with everything in it.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Oleg Chernavin 01/22/2009 05:42 pm
You may change the download folder location easily - select the Folder in Offline Explorer (which contains projects) and click Properties. Change the setting.

Yes, after you change the download directory, the site will be updated in this new location. Besides, once you update the site, the default.htm file will be recreated automatically with the correct links.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Ante 01/23/2009 06:04 am
> You may change the download folder location easily - select the Folder in Offline Explorer (which contains projects) and click Properties. Change the setting.
>
> Yes, after you change the download directory, the site will be updated in this new location. Besides, once you update the site, the default.htm file will be recreated automatically with the correct links.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

I changed the directory and it now shows to D:\Download where is the whole site downloaded. There is also the default.htm file included (the original). If I click on that file using Mozilla I get the page with a link (title of that download which is ''TOD 13 IX 08''). However, OE does not show this link - it appears like there is nothing in the D:\Download directory. I am logged onto www.theoildrum.com website but still I do not see a way to start updating anything until I can see this project sitting in the ''Download'' directory.
Can you suggest further steps?
Thanks!
Oleg Chernavin 01/23/2009 09:05 am
Can you select that Project and press Ctrl+F5 to get missing files?

Oleg.