a PHP menu is not being saved correctly...

Author Message
Dr. Alastair 11/29/2008 09:37 am
Dear Oleg:

Thank you for a TRULY WONDERFUL application! Ofline Explorer is simply
the best program of it''s kind out there, and I''ve tried ALL of them!

I just discovered your application and am trying the "Trial" version of
Offline Explorer Pro, I have many projects in mind which are kind of
big in terms of website size and maybe a little complex to download.

meanwhile I am trying your app. on a website which I think is easy to
download, but I encountered a problem,
this website displays a menu on the left, which is shown via a PHP command
"showleftmenu.php" which is located in a folder on the same server as the
contents of the website itself, but OE doesn''t seem to be able to "see it"
as it downloads THE WHOLE WEBSITE correctly, but without the left menu
I just can''t navigate the information I download!

here I post a two comparative pictures for you to see...

This on is the original forum:
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6615/onlinepictj1.jpg

This one is the SAVED forum version:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6864/oepictp5.jpg

As you can see, it just downloads the first element of the menu, one which I think is not displayed through the function "showeleftmenu.php"

I tried to use the embedded explorer to surf to the webpage displaying the left menu in full, then I tried the trick of "ctrl+alt" whilke clicking on the little "+" signs to open the branches of the tree, but OE doesn''t seem to detect the "+" clicks as real clicks! in fact it doesn''t do anything when clicking the "+" to open the branches of the menu...

I hope my question in clear enough as I am not very much technical savvy in net terms.

Thank you very much for your time and wonderful program and I hope you can help me find a solution for this, as I am planning to buy the Pro version to use on more complex and big websites once I can get the handle of it.

Regards,

Dr. Alastair
Oleg Chernavin 11/29/2008 02:54 pm
I would suggest you to select the Project that partially downloaded the site, click the AutoSave button on the Internal Browser toolbar and then click Browse. Offline Explorer Pro should download missing files.

Please let me know if this advice helps or not. If not, I will look at it closer to see if something else helps.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Dr. Alastair 11/29/2008 03:59 pm
> I would suggest you to select the Project that partially downloaded the site, click the AutoSave button on the Internal Browser toolbar and then click Browse. Offline Explorer Pro should download missing files.
>
> Please let me know if this advice helps or not. If not, I will look at it closer to see if something else helps.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Thank you Oleg for your quick reply.

Unfortunately your suggestion didn''t help, I tried to offline browse while having the "autosave" button engaged and it still didn''t download the left menu...

Look, I used URL Helper to find which URL shows the left menu, and it is a file named displayleftmenu.php Which I downloaded with URLHelper and I open it from inside my hard disk with IE and Firefox and they do show the correct menu..

the file is inside this folder:
http://operativetechniques.com/components/com_book_navigation/

And I found it''s usage for displaying the left menu is displayleftmenu.php?bookId=1&partId= or displayleftmenu.php?bookId=1&partId=1 or even displayleftmenu.php without arguments will do....

I manually added the URL http://operativetechniques.com/components/com_book_navigation/ to the project URL''s settings and I checked in my hard disk and OE does download that particular file, but for some weird reason when I offline browse it with IE, Firefox and your own embedded browser, the left menu is not displayed!

If you can please look a more into that website, here I post the details:

Tis is the login page and details for entering:

http://operativetechniques.com/ELSOT/operative_techniques__hand_and_wrist_surgery/b/bookdetails/1
username : aadlib@vajira.ac.th
password : bmavjr

once there, choose: "Explore this Book" and it will take you to this URL:
http://operativetechniques.com/ELSOT/operative_techniques__hand_and_wrist_surgery/a/explorebook/1

(Which is the one that shows the left menu)

I hope you can take this one down =D

Regards,

Dr. Alastair
Dr. Alastair 11/30/2008 10:04 am
Good day Oleg,

OE downloaded the whole website, after tweaking the URL field, it managed to save 30500 files, about 1.5 gigabytes, took all night working and saved the website beautifully, except the left menu doesnt work still!! but ALL the info is there, the whole folder, images, videos, etc, but without the menu I can''t navigate them!

BTW, I tried to save the left menu with firefox and with Internet explorer using "save web page, complete, html" and it sabed it instantly and with no problem, I think it must be an issue of fine tweaking-adjusting or maybe a bug?

Thank you very much and I hope you can help me fix this little bug.

Regards,

Dr. Alastair
Oleg Chernavin 12/01/2008 10:53 am
I am sorry. I tried to understand why the menu doesn''t work offline, but got no results. I have no idea.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 12/02/2008 10:51 am
Offline Explorer has to change the ? symbol, because it is not allowed in filenames by Windows.

> the program stripped away ALL the names from the branches of the tree! so instead of about 1 megabyte (original displayleftmenu) the one created with OE was much much smaller and didnt have those names inside to be passed to the JS to display the tree menu.

Can you give me two code pieces to save my time that show what exactly was stripped by Offline Explorer. I will try to fix this.

Thank you!

Oleg.
Dr. Alastair 12/02/2008 11:18 am
> Offline Explorer has to change the ? symbol, because it is not allowed in filenames by Windows.
>
> > the program stripped away ALL the names from the branches of the tree! so instead of about 1 megabyte (original displayleftmenu) the one created with OE was much much smaller and didnt have those names inside to be passed to the JS to display the tree menu.
>
> Can you give me two code pieces to save my time that show what exactly was stripped by Offline Explorer. I will try to fix this.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Oleg.

Of course my friend!
just let me arrive home (I''m at work now) and I will fetch those files for you, I don''t have them here.

Another issue I just discovered, when I export the project, the left tree menu doesn''t have any of the little GIFs and PNGs that form the displayleftmenu.php "pictorial" tree, so the menu appears with the "broken image" icons instead, but the links are clickable andf expandable, like a normal menu, just without the images, and also, somehow the path to show the videos in the video TOC (the one I also fixed which is also displayed by the displayleftmenu.php) where lost in the export process, so when I click the video links it only opens the flv player and pretends to "load" the video, but it doesn''t find the actual flv files....

btw, the defaul.htm file (the on inside the OE project folder, without exporting it) is perfectly browsable with IE and firefox without any problem at all, just when I use the export function is when this problem happens. I think I can keep the "un-exported" version instead or meanwhile those bugs are fixed..

Thanks man,
Dr. Alastair.
Oleg Chernavin 12/02/2008 11:38 am
This happens, because the image files do not belong to the Project. They should be listed in the Project Map to be exported along with it.

Oleg.
Dr. alastair 12/02/2008 01:57 pm
> This happens, because the image files do not belong to the Project. They should be listed in the Project Map to be exported along with it.
>
> Oleg.

yes, you are right, as I added them manually to the folders, but how do I add them to the project in order for them to be visible under the project map and thus be exported correctly?
Dr. Alastair 12/02/2008 05:24 pm
> This happens, because the image files do not belong to the Project. They should be listed in the Project Map to be exported along with it.
>
> Oleg.

Also, send me your email to send you the files...
Oleg Chernavin 12/03/2008 05:56 am
> yes, you are right, as I added them manually to the folders, but how do I add them to the project in order for them to be visible under the project map and thus be exported correctly?

Just list their URLs in the Project''s URLs field. One per line. Then make Ctrl+F5 to add them to map.

Please post here two examples of lines - the one from Offline Explorer download and the one that should be correct. I have both files here, but I looked over them and didn''t find what is actually missing. So pointing me to the right place in these files would save me a time.

Thank you!

Oleg.
Dr. Alastair 12/03/2008 12:48 pm
> > yes, you are right, as I added them manually to the folders, but how do I add them to the project in order for them to be visible under the project map and thus be exported correctly?
>
> Just list their URLs in the Project''''s URLs field. One per line. Then make Ctrl+F5 to add them to map.
>
> Please post here two examples of lines - the one from Offline Explorer download and the one that should be correct. I have both files here, but I looked over them and didn''''t find what is actually missing. So pointing me to the right place in these files would save me a time.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Oleg.

Hmm I coul post, but they''re several hundred lines each!
I put them in a "good files" folder and a "bad files folder" and compressed into a zip file, I uploaded it here for you:

http://mihd.net/e72yk5t?

Take a look, and I hope you find the problem...
Dr. Alastair 12/03/2008 12:50 pm
That is :

http://mihd.net/e72yk5t?

I dont know why the other post changed the last character to a weird letter.
the correct one is e.72,y,k,5,t.
Dr. Alastair 12/05/2008 12:16 pm
Wow, that is so strange, why would it do that?

Im glad you could fix it... on a side note, can I write you in private?
I need some advice on a bigger website, and I can see it will be much more time consuming and I have ran out of ideas on this website...
Oleg Chernavin 12/05/2008 01:52 pm
Sure. Write me to support@metaproducts.com. If you do not get a reply withing 2-3 days (spam filters all over the net are unpredictable), post again here.

Oleg.