Serious OEP-CSPAN rtsp-problems

Gunnar 05/30/2008 12:31 am
Tested with a handful of different windows-XP-installations, plus two internet providers.

links

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/ter/ter052008_guantanamo.rm

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/hur/hur052208_fema.rm

OEP, at seemingly very random intervals (above files should be large enough to cause the problem) behaves as following

- the download speed seems to first drop
- sometimes goes down to zero
- the "seconds loaded counter" jumps to som "overflow value??", totally out of range value.
- the download continues but the speed stays very low
- the downloaded file is more or less, or totally corrupted.

Gunnar
Gunnar 05/30/2008 12:40 am
Sorry Oleg (hello again), the second link (fema) is probably small enough to sometimes work, only 36 minutes at 128kbps stream.

This was the one I should have posted

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/15days/wj052008.rm

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/15days/wj052808.rm

The numbers in the link (filename) is the date, month-day-year format, like 052898, 05-28-08.
Always a appr 180MByte file, appr 3 hours, and almost impossible to download correctly.

PS The guantanamo link is 4 hours, or some 250Mbyte long, much more "time" to have these "random" problems.

> links
>
> rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/ter/ter052008_guantanamo.rm
>
> rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/hur/hur052208_fema.rm
>
Oleg Chernavin 05/30/2008 09:05 am
OK. I will work on this. It is not easy to find out such random errors, so it may take some time.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Gunnar 06/08/2008 03:06 am
Btw, Net Transport is doing a much better job at this than OEP. (I think, they have a better "resume" strategy)

PS I also suddenly understood that "Chernavin" probably might (suddenly) mean "Chairman" in english..

That is, it seems Net Transport can handle those C-SPAN streams better that OEP, but I still think OEP is better.

However, that is, when that problem, OEP goes totally haywire, easy to detect.
Net Transport also goes haywire, but one can restart the download.

Funny stuff.

> OK. I will work on this. It is not easy to find out such random errors, so it may take some time.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Gunnar 06/08/2008 03:08 am
whatever way one works at it, it is frustrating..

I am getting really rally frustrated...

> OK. I will work on this. It is not easy to find out such random errors, so it may take some time.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Gunnar 06/08/2008 03:21 am
C-SPAN seems to have a Helix Server Version 9.0.9.1533 (win32) (RealServer compatible) Server.
(says Net Transport)

However, C-SPAN is busy builidng out their streaming capabilites.

Oleg Chernavin 06/08/2008 06:11 am
Yes, I understand your frustration. It is not easy to work with RTSP streams because of their length. This is why it takes lot of time to make improvements.

Regarding Chernavin - it is simply my last name, not my position. :-)

Oleg.