File Locations in Portable Offline Browser

Noel 07/07/2007 10:21 pm
I installed Portable Offline Browser on a USB drive. When I first installed it, the computer I was using assigned my USB drive letter I:

When I connected my USB drive to another computer, it was assigned drive letter F:
Now all the files I downloaded using drive letter I can no longer be displayed, unless I go through each folder and change the drive location from I to F. And I have a lot of project files each belonging to a different folder.

What should I do, short of manually going through all Project Folders to change the drive letter, in order to access all my downloaded offline files in whatever drive letter the computer assigns to my USB drive.

I have Offline Explorer Pro, but I purchased Portable Offline Browser exactly for this reason: I want my downloads to be truly portable.

Thanks in advance.

Noel
Oleg Chernavin 07/08/2007 07:54 am
I made a test right now and seems that the portable code works. I installed it to a D: disk, downloaded one Project, moved the whole folder with the installed program and downloaded files to E: disk and the Project was viewable from the other drive. The Map correctly showed all files.

Can you please tell me, how I can reproduce your issue?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Noel Raquid 07/09/2007 12:13 am
I appreciate your prompt reply. Thank you!

It will work that way, provided you use it on the same computer where Portable Offline Explorer is installed. I forgot to mention that the computer I am currently using does not have Portable Offline Explorer on it.

I installed Portable Offline Explorer to my USB drive on a computer and downloaded files to the USB drive. I tried connecting another USB drive to the computer and reconnect the USB drive with the Portable Offline files. Of course the computer assigned another drive letter to it, but all my project files are viewable.

I moved to another computer with no Offline Explorer and connected my USB drive with Portable Offline Explorer. The computer assigned me another drive letter. My downloaded projects are no longer viewable.

I tried changing the file location of the project folder by removing the drive letter (\Portable Offline Explorer instead of I:\Portable Offline Explorer). The progam asked me if I wanted to move the downloaded files into the new folder, I clicked OK and the Projects are viewable again.

I thought I would be able to plug my Portable Offline Explorer USB drive to any computer, clicked on the POB.exe file to run the program and be able to view all my projects without installing the program.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Please let me know how could I make this POB truly portable.

Best regards.

Noel

> I made a test right now and seems that the portable code works. I installed it to a D: disk, downloaded one Project, moved the whole folder with the installed program and downloaded files to E: disk and the Project was viewable from the other drive. The Map correctly showed all files.
>
> Can you please tell me, how I can reproduce your issue?
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 07/09/2007 03:02 pm
I made this test on two computers. I installed it on one computer on disk M:. I downloaded a simple project. Then I quit Portable Offline Browser and connected the Flash drive to another computer. It assigned drive K: to the drive. I started Portable Offline Browser from it and the Project was browseable with no problems.

Do you use the latest 4.7 SR1 version of the program?

Oleg.
Noel Raquid 07/09/2007 03:25 pm
I am using version 4.7.2614 Service Release 1
Noel Raquid 07/09/2007 03:34 pm
Probably both computers that you are using has Portable Offline Browse or a previous Offline Explorer installed.

When I use the program on the computer which I used to install Portable Offline Browser the program works, even if the computer assigns me a different drive letter every time I use it. By the way, the computer also has a previous installation of Offline Explorer Pro which I used to have.

But when I use Portable Offline Explorer USB drive on a computer which does not have the program installed, I have to manually change the Folder Download directory of the Project, by removing the drive letter.
Oleg Chernavin 08/13/2007 04:20 pm
I am sorry that it takes a lot of time. I tried to run it on clean computers and it was working fine. Maybe there are some other coincindents that cause this behavior?

Oleg.