Database Content

Anthony 03/02/2007 04:13 pm
Is there a way I can download database content as well? Some sites are designed to pull data from MS Access or MySQL Server (ASP Pages / PHP Pages) and then post the content online as it's requested. Is it possible to also download database content when downloading a site?
Oleg Chernavin 03/02/2007 04:23 pm
Web sites do not give direct access to their databases. You can only download Web pages that visualize data there.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Anthony 03/02/2007 04:29 pm
I see what you mean, however, this still doesn't work. For example, the site, http://www.ssubgastro.com When I download the entire site the staff profiles do not come up. For some reason the dynamic pages are viewed with a "@" instead of a "?" in the url query... Why is this?
Thanks,
Anthony

> Web sites do not give direct access to their databases. You can only download Web pages that visualize data there.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Anthony 03/02/2007 04:36 pm
Yes, I have confirmed it. When I download the site, www.ssubgastro.com, the staff_profile.asp?id=3 page is actually getting downloaded as, staff_profile.asp@id=3. Why is this?

> Web sites do not give direct access to their databases. You can only download Web pages that visualize data there.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 03/03/2007 04:01 am
Windows doesn't allow to use ? and some other symbols in filenames. This is why they are replaced.

Oleg.
Anthony 03/03/2007 10:01 am
Is there any way I can overcome this? I need to use this on a Windows machine... I don't understand how Windows prevents this...? Do you have documentation on this? I can't be the first person to have this happen to...
Anthony 03/03/2007 10:03 am
I can see the site being loaded in OE with the "?". However, it is just saved with the "@" instead... I really like your product, without this feature though I cannot use your product...
Anthony 03/03/2007 12:40 pm
Okay, I see what the issue is now... I understand that Windows will not allow the ? as any part of any filename. I see that OE will change the filename replacing the ? with a @. However, is it possible that on Windows Sever 2003 R2 platforms that the linking page will not change the link from a ? to an @? The pages I am downloading still use the link, http://www.ssubgastro.com/staff_profile.asp?id=3, while the page has been renamed to, staff_profile.asp@id=3.

This is very strange.

I need to download our website and view it on our intranet. So once I download it I need to then transport it to a Windows IIS web server and host it there for local intranet browsing.
Oleg Chernavin 03/04/2007 04:17 am
The main purpose of Offline Explorer is to make the downloaded site available for offline browsing. If it would keep ? symbol as it is in links but convert ? to @ in filenames, then the links will be broken. When you click on a link, you browser would search for an invalid filename with ? symbol, while there will be another filename.

This is why all symbols are being changed both in filenames and in links. I would suggest you to export (File - Export menu) downloaded Project to your IIS directory with the standard extensions enabled and this will make it browseable.

Oleg.
Anthony 03/04/2007 09:45 pm
Thanks, is there a command line command that I can run to automatically export the downloaded websites for IIS Intranet use?
Oleg Chernavin 03/05/2007 05:17 am
You can use AutoExport feature to export it after the project download completes. Please see the Help file for more details.

Oleg.