Am I using filters correctly ?

Jon 04/01/2006 02:26 pm
I am trying to exclude files with certain names.

The first are names that are of the format xyz2a3.mpg where the site uses the the "a#" on the end to indicate it's a file that's been subdivided into parts. In the windows search I can exclude these by searching for "*a?.*" . Consequently I have used this as an 'exclude' filter in the filename URL filter.

I'm also trying to avoid files that have names including "(1of2)", for example, and am using the filter "*(?of?).*" to exclude these.

However both are still appearing in the downloading list.

I DO have "Load using URL filters settings" chosen in the locations box.

what am I missing ?

Thank you.
Oleg Chernavin 04/03/2006 09:08 am
The problem is that the ? symbol is widely used in URLs, this is why it is not a wildcard. Please use the following instead:

*a[0-9].*
([0-9]of[0-9]).*

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Jon 04/04/2006 12:17 am
> The problem is that the ? symbol is widely used in URLs, this is why it is not a wildcard. Please use the following instead:
>
> *a[0-9].*
> ([0-9]of[0-9]).*
>

Ahh.. that makes sense. I apologize for not finding that in the help files although I did try to look thoroughly. Once I knew the answer I found it by reverse engineering ! I might suggest that you have the tewrm 'wildcard' in the index and that it point to the relevant sections of the document where this is already explained very well.

Anyway, thank you for your quick reply and an excellent program. I'll give it a shot !

Cheers, Jon.
Oleg Chernavin 04/04/2006 02:04 am
You are welcome!

Oleg.