Not deleting tmp files

Tony 03/23/2006 03:36 pm
Oleg

A problem I have encountered with OEP with the last few releases, is that it does not seem to delete tmp files. I have had several instances of OEP crashing, with different projects. When I check the Queue, there are lots of files, as I would expect, but when I check the tmp directory I have found as many as 10,000 files. If I delete them and re-run the project OEP runs to the end of the project correctly. The tmp directory is for OEP only and all files are definately OEP ones. I am not sure weather OEP is leaving files at the end of a project or just generating huge numbers during the project and not deleting them when its finished with them.

Any ideas please

thanks
Oleg Chernavin 03/24/2006 02:56 am
In the case of a crash the queue files will be left there, but OE will automatically erase them when started a couple of days later.

Oleg.
Tony 03/24/2006 01:40 pm
> Oleg.

When saving a part downloaded project, the tmp files are not deleted.
When stopping a project they are not always deleted
Every time I stop OEP, I now check the tmp and queue directories and often find files still there.

Does OEP really need to keep so many tmp files.
I am starting OEP with /NoMap /NoDb /NoBookmarks
and have No Translation set in the projects

You have pointed out several times that Windows does not like more than 1000 files in a directory, but OEP regularly puts vastly more than this number in the tmp and queue directories.

No criticism meant, but I find it strange :-(
Oleg Chernavin 03/27/2006 08:24 am
Yes, I am trying to find out why this happens. The problem is that I cannot reproduce it myself. I will continue working on this anyway.

Oleg.
TonyE 05/11/2006 04:35 pm
Oleg

I left my machine running last weekend whilst I went away.
When I came back it had blue screened.
Looking for a cause I discovered:

The OEP queue directory was empty
The OEP temp directory had 65,535 files in it, 623MBytes.
It took a very long time to get rid of them :-(

Can't tell you what the site was as have now deleted everything.

I am runing V2390

There still seems to be something wrong with the way OEP handles temp files if it can create that many.

I am also still seeing the memory leak issue

Any ideas ?

thanks
tony
Oleg Chernavin 05/13/2006 12:15 am
This looks like a Queue files - when there are over 2000 items to download in the Queue, Offline Explorer writes temporary files and each of them contains 1000 URLs from the queue. Perhaps, the Project attempted to load over 65 million links and this caused it to fail.

Can you please see if the Project could be changed to load less links?

Oleg.
Coriolis 05/16/2006 10:10 am
Just FYI I thought I'd mention that I'm also seeing this same behavior over the last few releases; the temp directory gets thousands of "htt####.tmp" files in a few minutes, where #### is a monotonically increasing hex number. The files can be several days old but are deleted immediately upon exiting OEP. With several sites running my maximum queue depth is around 30,000. The files generally seem to contain downloaded web pages or small (5k) binary stubs. Files containing images appear for just the duration of the download and then disappear correctly.

Oleg Chernavin 05/16/2006 10:41 am
These htt* files are partially downloaded ones. It is strange that they do not disappear automatically. I will check how this behaves. Thank you!

Oleg.