Some questions/suggestions

Author Message
Jan Martin Pettersen 11/16/2005 07:01 pm
I have a couple of questions..

I reference to the 3.9.2144 version where nothing else is said..

Should the URL filters/substitutions apply when doing a drag and drop?
It doesn`t seem to apply at the present time (not in the beta either it seems)
I`d like them to (perhaps optionally), because a lot of files such as .css, banners etc might be added to the queue even if you just want the images. i.e you select all the images inside a table, and
drop them onto a project which has filters/substitutions.

The major reason I sometimes use drag/drop is: It seems like OE has some problems with links with images inside some tables or td tags, so when the image links to a bigger version of itself it
quite often adds the thumbnails to the download queue, but not the images/htmlfile containing image it links to. Strangely when I do the above all images/linked to links are added, but not otherwise.
This results in a quite heavy use of substitutions, after comparing urls of the thumbnails and the actual image.

It seems like the drag/drop works with the internal IE and external IE, but not with Opera?
This could also be a thing that could`ve been nice.. A lot less popups and such to walk through
when locating the page to drag files from..

About that, pages which opens new windows should probably be handled inside the OE instead of
spawning a new IE window? Perhaps using a pagecontrol or similar?
Oleg Chernavin 11/22/2005 01:08 pm
Sorry for the late answer.

Yes, URL SUbstitutes ae not applied to the links you drag. I will think about this, because it may have hidden issues if I change the behavior. For example, some users may face situations when this is not desired.

Drag and Drop from Opera is not yet possible, because Opera still doesn`t support drag-and-drop other than inside Opera itself. When they improve that, we will support better integration with Opera.

Blocking popup windows in the Internal browser is planned for one of the future versions.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Jan Martin Pettersen 11/22/2005 03:35 pm
> Yes, URL SUbstitutes ae not applied to the links you drag. I will think about this, because it may have hidden issues if I change the behavior. For example, some users may face situations when this is not desired.

One possible solution would be to do it so the leftbutton (without modifier) drag is kept as is,
but if lets say a modifier (Ctrl,alt,shift) + leftbutton drag is done, then filters/subst. is applied.

This would apply ONLY when dropped on an existing project, or the template used contains filter/subst, otherwise it performs the current dragdrop.

I guess this would`nt interfere with the current learnt behaviour, and still provides the filtering/subst
when the user wants it.. Those hidden issues might be another matter however, but shouldn`t
interfere with current behaviour if so, because of this way it would have it`s own "shortcut".

> Drag and Drop from Opera is not yet possible, because Opera still doesn`t support drag-and-drop other than inside Opera itself. When they improve that, we will support better integration with Opera.

That`s a pity..


> Blocking popup windows in the Internal browser is planned for one of the future versions.

I was mostly thinking of those occations when the link has the Target attribute set, and isn`t part
of a frameset. i.e _blank,_new and so on, because these opens external IE windows as it is..
It would`ve been preferable to have those open in the internal browser, but would require the
browser to be able to contain multiple windows.. (using a tab/pagecontrol or something).

Jan
Oleg Chernavin 11/25/2005 03:17 am
OK. I will think about the drag-and-drop. I am not sure about Ctrl, Shift, Alt keys, because they are invisible to users unless they read about it.

Oleg.
Jan Martin Pettersen 11/25/2005 06:35 pm
> OK. I will think about the drag-and-drop. I am not sure about Ctrl, Shift, Alt keys, because they are invisible to users unless they read about it.

Great.. About the modifiers, most of the existing shortcuts are unknown until you look for them up
in the helpfile anyway.

It could`ve been an idea to have a topic named Shortcuts (or similar), where all shortcuts are listed, and where they apply for ease of use.. It usually is the first place one would search for those
(except tooltips), because of the relatively standard products such as office etc..
Oleg Chernavin 11/28/2005 09:04 am
Yes, you are right. OK. I will try to implement this.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 11/29/2005 08:57 am
I just added this - if a Project has URL Substitutes, drag-and-drop will show an additional item in the popup menu.

Oleg.
Jan Martin Pettersen 11/29/2005 12:47 pm
> I just added this - if a Project has URL Substitutes, drag-and-drop will show an additional item in the popup menu.

That seems to work rather well with the substitutes..

It doesn`t use the urlfilters (server,directory,filename) however, but it applies the substitutes quite well..

Don`t know if it is much work to enable the filtering for drop urls, but it seems you`ve found
a way to do it when you have the time..

Thanx,
Jan
Oleg Chernavin 11/30/2005 04:39 am
I am afraid, that the filtering would not work well here - just imagine that you drag a link and it is not accepted. It would look like a bug.

Oleg.
Jan Martin Pettersen 11/30/2005 04:25 pm
> I am afraid, that the filtering would not work well here - just imagine that you drag a link and it is not accepted. It would look like a bug.

I see your point, but I disagree to a degree, because it would be expected behaviour because it`s a concious choice to use the alternate way of adding the selection, especially with the naming of the menuitem..

This could also enhanced in the help for drag and drop (with subst/filter), that it would filter/substitute based on the same filtering of links as it would have if it was found in a page when spidering.. i.e protocol,server,path,filename, and types (probably not including sizes, as it would require more outside access to determine), or something like that..

Oleg Chernavin 11/30/2005 05:51 pm
OK. I will think about it.

Oleg.