Multi Threading

Tony 10/28/2005 03:49 am
Hello,

I have to download several projects at the same time. They are not that big (biggest maybe 10,000 files) but I find the cpu is forced to run at 100% all the time.

Further, I am having trouble downloading more than one project at a time as they seem to compete for the processor.

To try and combat this I am considering a dual processor machine, but does OE pro support multi threading?

Many thanks,

Tony.
Oleg Chernavin 10/28/2005 06:51 am
CPU load 100% is normal. It simply means that there are tasks that compute something all the time. Since you download files, the CPU will be busy all the time, because Offline Explorer parses them - it finds links to follow and changes them for offline browsing. The only way to make CPU not 100% loaded is to use less connections and have delay between downloads.

Anyway, if your computer is responsive and Offline Explorer user interface does not hang, then it is fine. If you run another application, it should be working fast enough, because the system will share CPU between all applications without a problem.

A dual-processor system will help, because Offline Explorer uses several threads - one for user interface and downloads, another - for parsing, another - for Internal Web server, another - export and so on. There are many things that were done in threads. Even Import Bookmarks menu loads in a separate thread when you start Offline Explorer.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff