Real Audio from PNM site

Roger Miall 01/27/2005 10:57 am
The site www.redhotjazz.com has html references to .ram files (within the same site) which in turn reference .ra files as follows :-

pnm://ra1.technoir.net/technoir/jazz/songs/artistname/filename.ra

e.g. pnm@ra1.technoir.net/technoir/jazz/songs/whiteman/afterglow.ra

For want of finding a better way of doing it I have compiled a list of the pnm URLs which I paste into the address URLs box in OE.

This appears to work except for two problems :-

1. Each track is missing the last 10-20 seconds - is this likely to be a timeout problem or to do with setting the interval between downloads or something completely different ?

2. At work, behind a firewall (but a much faster connection), every combination I try gives a `Connection failed` error. However, changing the stem of each URL to pnm://ra1.technoir.net:80 seems to get a connection but no further. Admittedly RealMediaPlayer also fails under these conditions. Should I forget about trying to access this site from work ?

Thanks

Roger
Oleg Chernavin 01/27/2005 11:17 am
I used the following URL from the site to test Offline Explorer Pro:

pnm://ra1.technoir.net/technoir/jazz/songs/allen/aintchagot.ra

It loaded 161 second (2:40) and the whole clip was played offline with no problems. It really looks like a bit truncated at the end, but listening the same link online is absolutely the same. So, its probably how the clips were recorded.

Regarding the firewall. Offline Explorer supports loading PNM streams using SOCKS4 or SOCKS5 proxy. Please ask the firewall administrator if it is possible to use one of these proxy servers at your work. If this is possible, you can setup them in the Options dialog | Proxy | HTTP section. This section is used for HTTP, HTTPS, MMS and PNM protocols.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff