Write-protected documents

Isa 12/17/2004 05:31 am
Hello,

I`ve got just one question.

Is it possible to download a write-protected document a link points to?

Thank you for your help.
Oleg Chernavin 12/17/2004 05:34 am
Yes, I think so. Write-protected files are usually allowed for reading. If you will be unable to do that, let me know the link and I will try it myself.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Isa 12/30/2004 10:06 am
> Yes, I think so. Write-protected files are usually allowed for reading. If you will be unable to do that, let me know the link and I will try it myself.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Hi Oleg,

I want to download a complete folder from the fileserver to store the data on dvd afterwards. The folder contains a web including many sites with links to documents (html, doc, ...) in other folders on the fileserver and other servers. Now, if these documents are write-protected (windows-explorer-properties), Offline Explorer Pro doesn`t download it. Another problem is, that Offline Explorer does not make a notice if it could not download a file because of this protection.

Thanks for your help.

Isa
Oleg Chernavin 01/03/2005 04:15 am
I see now. I just fixed it. Thank you! If you need the updated version now, just let me know.

Oleg.
Isa 01/10/2005 09:01 am
> I see now. I just fixed it. Thank you! If you need the updated version now, just let me know.
>
> Oleg.

Hi Oleg,

thank you for your help. Having the updated version would be
nice and helpful.

Isa
Defenestration 01/10/2005 09:38 am
You can get it here

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1910.zip
Isa 01/13/2005 09:18 am
> You can get it here
>
> http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1910.zip

Hi Oleg,

thank you for helping so quickly.

While I was testing the new version, I realized that Offline Explorer couldn`t follow any link which appears in a downloaded document which is write-protected by Windows-Explorer-properties. Do you think this problem could be solved?

Isa
Oleg Chernavin 01/13/2005 10:12 am
Write protection should not affect the parsing process (links extraction). Maybe the files have non-standard extension?

Oleg.
Isa 01/14/2005 01:47 am
> Write protection should not affect the parsing process (links extraction). Maybe the files have non-standard extension?
>
> Oleg.

The files are word documents and the extension "doc" was added in the user defined category of file filters. Maybe there are some other options or settings in this context I didn`t think of.

Isa
Oleg Chernavin 01/14/2005 02:21 am
Well, Offline Explorer doesn`t follow links in Word documents at all. Is there any reason it should follow links?

Oleg.
Isa 01/14/2005 02:32 am
> Well, Offline Explorer doesn`t follow links in Word documents at all. Is there any reason it should follow links?
>
> Oleg.

We want to use it in order to download a huge company-internal website. This website contains a lot of links, nearly 2000. A lot of these links point to files on the fileserver, especially Word documents. Some of these documents contain links to very import files. Actually we thought that OEP could manage this.
Oleg Chernavin 01/14/2005 06:04 am
OK. Can you please send an example of the .doc file with links to me to support@metaproducts.com, so that I could see how to support such links.

Thank you!

Oleg.
Isa 01/14/2005 08:36 am
Hi Oleg,

is it possible to start Offline Explorer and downloading a project by script, for example Visual Basic, or does there exist a server version?

Thank you.

Defenestration 01/14/2005 04:48 pm
Hey Isa,

You can do what you want by running OE from the command line (which can be done programmatically or through a script).

Check out the following thread for some more information.

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpSupport_User_Forums_Message.asp?id=9009

Oleg Chernavin 01/15/2005 12:24 pm
Offline Explorer Enterprise edition can be controlled by Visual Basic easily using OLE Automation - you can download it here:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/eesetup.exe

The installation file contains a Visual Basic sample project that starts Offline Explorer Enterprise, shows its Projects and allows you to start/stop downloading any of them.

Oleg.
Isa 01/17/2005 04:38 am
Hi :)

When running OEP from the command line by script, could there be set an unc-path as parameter?

Thank You!

Isa
Oleg Chernavin 01/17/2005 04:51 am
Sure! Use file:// protocol for that, like file://\\server\path\file.htm

Oleg.
Isa 01/17/2005 06:43 am
> Sure! Use file:// protocol for that, like file://\\server\path\file.htm
>
> Oleg.

I`m sorry. What I meant was something like

"/new=url=\\VFS00003\Org...\...\...\" or "/new=url=\\lan.test.de\test\" ...

completely without "file:///" oder "http://"
Oleg Chernavin 01/17/2005 06:45 am
The correct syntax for Offline Explorer will be:

"/new=url=file://\\VFS00003\Org...\...\...\"

Oleg.
Isa 01/19/2005 02:03 am
Hi,

I tried to start downloading a project from the command line with the following parameters:
oe.exe "/new=url=file://\\lan.huk-coburg.de\sonderbereiche\prz-bip\bip-huk\,run=true,level=10"

I tried different levels, changed the order of parameters and modified the syntax, but it doesn`t work. OEP always stopped downloading after the first level and accordingly it writes in the logfile: "Rejected URL (Insufficient Level)". And in the project properties it sets level = 1.
Which mistake did I make?

Thank you for the great support!

Bye.
Oleg Chernavin 01/19/2005 02:10 am
I just tried exactly your command line and after the Project was added to OE, I opened its Properties dialog and saw the Level=10 in the Project settings.

It worked correctly on my computer. Can you please check it again. You can also try to remove the run=true from the line and see if this makes the Level change or not.

Oleg.
Isa 01/19/2005 02:31 am
> I just tried exactly your command line and after the Project was added to OE, I opened its Properties dialog and saw the Level=10 in the Project settings.
>
> It worked correctly on my computer. Can you please check it again. You can also try to remove the run=true from the line and see if this makes the Level change or not.
>
> Oleg.

I`m sorry, I couldn`t test it at the moment.
Which parameter has to be set to download a site without having the levels limited?

Isa
Oleg Chernavin 01/19/2005 02:57 am
Just use level=10000 - this is surely enough.

Oleg.