Placing photos in one directory...

Len Lydik 11/08/2004 06:49 pm
I`m crawling a site with thousands of maps. The maps are in several directories and subdirectories.

Can I configure OEP to place all images in one directory, regardless of the site directory they are crawled from (i.e., I don`t care to maintain the sites directory structure).

Thanks
Oleg Chernavin 11/09/2004 05:13 am
Yes, there is Export to a plain directory option (File | Export dialog).

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Len Lydik 11/09/2004 12:09 pm
Is the export done after the crawl is finished, or during the crawl?
Defenestration 11/09/2004 01:12 pm

You can do the export during the crawl, but it`s not advisable. I would recommend waiting until the download has finished before doing the export, as it will be much faster.
Len Lydik 11/09/2004 01:39 pm
I`m not gettig any results.

I`ve got hundreds of directories on my computer, out of which I would like to extract images and put them into one directory. How do I do this?
Len Lydik 11/09/2004 01:59 pm
I`m not getting the images moved to one directory, even though the contents.htm file points to the images as if they were moved to that one directory.
Defenestrationj 11/09/2004 02:11 pm
> I`m not getting the images moved to one directory, even though the contents.htm file points to the images as if they were moved to that one directory.

I know these might sound obvious but....

1) Have you selected the project before doing the export ?

2) Have you enabled "Do not create subdirectories" and chosen the destination directory on the Export dialog ?

3) If you have, then can you check if the files are being copied into the chosen destination directory by looking at that directory in Windows Explorer.

Post back here with your results.

Another way to copy all images to a folder would be to use Windows Explorer and then search for all image files (eg. "*.jpg;*.gif;*.png") and then just select all results and copy them to the required folder. However, the
Len Lydik 11/09/2004 03:26 pm
Yes to all of your questions. I can`t seem to get the images to one directory. I`m getting the contents.htm
Defenestration 11/09/2004 03:35 pm
Hmmm......

So only the contents.htm file is being placed in the destination directory ?

And the contents.htm file is referencing the original files in the OE download directory ?

If you disable "Do not create subdirectories", is the project successfully exported to the destination directory (although not in a single directory) ?

Len Lydik 11/09/2004 03:51 pm
I guess I would like to know what the export function is supposed to do. I thought it was a way to get all the downloaded files into one directory, but I can`t seem to accomplish this.
Defenestration 11/09/2004 04:06 pm
It has several uses, one being what you want to do. I have successfully exported several of my projects to a single directory using OE Pro 3.4.1844 SR1.

Also, try creating a project which only downloads the first page (eg. Google homepage), and then exporting this project to a single folder. If this works then my next paragraph could explain the problems you`re having exporting the Maps project.

A problem exists with Windows not being able to access files/folders when folders contain more than 1000 files/folders. This might be related to your problem. To overcome this problem, enable "Prevent download directories from overloading" in Options->Advanced->File Locations. Only problem is that you will need to re-download the whole project for this option to work, which might not be ideal.

Other than that, I`m all out of ideas, so I`ll leave it to Oleg to help.
Len Lydik 11/09/2004 04:17 pm
The export I am trying to do is across hundreds of folders containing thousands of files, so the problem you mentioned might be happening. I don`t know why I would have to re-download the whole project. Can you explain to me why?
Defenestration 11/10/2004 02:42 am
You would have to re-download the whole project because OE cannot re-arrange the files that have already been downloaded. This option will only apply to new files that are downloaded after this option was enabled. While having this option enabled can slow down OE, I would recommend always leaving this option enabled.

If you want to keep all the maps that have currently been downloaded, then I would look at the map for the Project (click on the Map tab in OE) to identify which folders contain the project files, then using Explorer copy the relevant folders to another folder. You can then do a recursive search of this folder for files with the relevant extensions (eg. if all the map images end in .png or .jpg enter "*.png;*.jpg" as the search criteria) and when the search has finished just select all the results and copy to a destination folder (eg. Map_Images). This would allow you to preserve all the maps that have already been downloaded.

After you have copied all the map images, delete the whole project, enable the "Prevent download directories from overloading" and create the project again.

Before doing any of this though I would wait for a reply from Oleg in case the problem does lie with OE, and he requires some of your project settings. Otherwise it is unlikely the problem will be fixed.
Aruran 01/29/2006 11:00 am
Hi,

I want to clarify one thing, I am using Offline Explorer 3.9 Trial, I wanted to know whether OE has the desired features

before I buy a full version....?

I have downloaded few projects and find my self with lot of folders inside the main directory, How can I make the project to

download the whole files into one directory at the begining rather than exporting after finishing the whole project. And if I

stop the project in midway, can I browse offline the files I have downloaded. Where will be the main index file located.

And another thing is I have downloaded several projects, which are as usual with several subdirectories inside, now that I

want to export them into one folder, I have to open the project into OE, How to do it, since the downloaded files are normal

html files, when I tried to open it, it opens in IE..not in OE..How can I reload the closed OE project files into OE....

thank you
Aruran
Oleg Chernavin 01/30/2006 06:42 am
> I have downloaded few projects and find my self with lot of folders inside the main directory, How can I make the project to download the whole files into one directory at the begining rather than exporting after finishing the whole project.

You can create a new folder inside Offline Explorer Pro, select it, click the Properties button on toolbar and specify another Download Directory. Click the OK button and place the Project(s) you want to use that specified directory on the hard disk as the store location for all downloaded files.

> And if I stop the project in midway, can I browse offline the files I have downloaded. Where will be the main index file located.

You don`t need the index file - simply click the Browse button on toolbar and you will be able to view the downloaded files even if only one file was downloaded by that time. Also, you can keep Offline Explorer downloading and browse the site offline. This will be working simultaneously.

The list of all downloaded files can be found using the Map tab.

> And another thing is I have downloaded several projects, which are as usual with several subdirectories inside, now that I want to export them into one folder, I have to open the project into OE, How to do it, since the downloaded files are normal html files, when I tried to open it, it opens in IE..not in OE..How can I reload the closed OE project files into OE....

After exporting the sites you can still use the Projects in Offline Explorer to browse the offline inside Offline Explorer.

Oleg.