Question about downloading missing links?

Rossco 11/03/2004 02:49 pm
Hi again,
Why is it that some times when clicking on a missing link to download it, OEP will use it`s own browser and sometimes it will launch internet explorer?

Is ther a way of making OEP only use it`s own browser?

I have disabled external browsers but it still (only somtimes) will launch IE.

cheers and regards
Rossco
Oleg Chernavin 11/04/2004 02:53 am
I think, the problem has been fixed already. Here is the link to the updated oe.exe file:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1841.zip

Does it work well?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Defenestration 11/04/2004 05:34 am
Oleg,

I had forgotten about this problem until I read this post. After testing it appears to be partially fixed.

For example, when I reported this problem before I gave the example of the following website:

http://www.proxomitron.info/

Clicking on the "support sites" link correctly opens the page in OE, but clicking on the ""distinct differences" link causes the page to open in IE.

Previously, clicking on the "Proxomitron Help Files" link opened the page in IE, but this now correctly opens in OE.

So it`s only been half-fixed, I`m afraid.
Oleg Chernavin 11/04/2004 07:23 am
The same happens online - that link was designed to open in a new window, which also happens when browsing the site offline.

Oleg.
Defenestration 11/04/2004 10:45 am
> The same happens online - that link was designed to open in a new window, which also happens when browsing the site offline.
> > Oleg.

Yes, but the same is also true of the "Proxomitron Help Files" link isn`t it, and this opens in the same OE window.

That aside, it would be better if it opened in a new OE internal browser tab instead of opening IE. However, I remember we discussed this at the time and couldn`t work out how to do it..... yet:o)!

You`re half-way there though Oleg because, as I mentioned before, the "Proxomitron Help Files" link used to open in IE with previous versions of OE. Now it opens in the same OE tab.
Oleg Chernavin 11/04/2004 10:52 am
Yes, I have this in plans, but I am not sure when I will be working on this feature. W have a lot of other things to do first!

Oleg.
Defenestration 11/04/2004 10:58 am
No rush for me. Just one of those things that would be nice.

What are these "other things" you are working on ? I`m intrigued:o)
Oleg Chernavin 11/04/2004 11:13 am
One of them is a central database of Project settings, so users could share their successful Projects with others on our Web site. It would be possible to search for a Project to load a certain site inside OE.

Other things - better PNM protocol support, MS Media streams over RTSP, QuickTime/MPEG4 over RTSP.

Oleg.
Defenestration 11/04/2004 11:33 am

Ah yes! I agree these are much more important things!
Defenestration 11/04/2004 11:45 am

Another extremely useful feature (that wouldn`t be too hard to implement because all the functionality is already present in OE) would be a file/stream download capability where you can type in the URL of a file or media stream, what you want to save it as, and then OE would download it. This is similar to Mass downloader in some ways, but OE is superior at handling link re-direction. I often use OE to download single media streams, even though you have create a project to do it, and can`t specify a download folder or filename. You then have to find the location where the file was actually saved.

A "Download File/Stream..." button/menu item in OE which would open up a dialog asking for the URL and "Save As" path, and then download when OK was clicked is what I`m after. As the media support improves in OE, so the media support of this file/stream download function would also improve.

Please can you implement this feature soon.....
Rossco 11/04/2004 03:33 pm
> I think, the problem has been fixed already. Here is the link to the updated oe.exe file:
>
> http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1841.zip
>
> Does it work well?
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Hi again Oleg,
that did fix it for the particualr site I was downloading:-) thanks for that.

I do recall this also happening in the past but at the time did not post a message here. I will let you know if I come cross other sites that it happens on.
regards
Rossco
Oleg Chernavin 11/05/2004 12:59 am
OK.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 11/05/2004 01:04 am
Frankly, I am not sure about these streaming feature, because OE is mostly site downloader. We plan to add streams support to Mass Downloader soon, so this should fill the gap.

Oleg.
Defenestration 11/05/2004 03:07 am
Mass Downloader will be the mother of all downloaders, but a simple feature for downloading single files/streams to a folder using OE would be a very useful addition to OE`s armoury. As OE already contains the required technology, it`s simply a matter of making it more accessible through an extra toolbar button, menu item and "Save File/Stream..." dialog. Admittedly OE is a site downloader, but every now and then it`s useful to be able to download a single stream/file. I don`t like installing extra apps on my system when I will only use one of it`s features, as lots of installed apps can lead to slowdown on Windows systems.

Oleg Chernavin 11/05/2004 04:51 am
Yes, I understand. I will think about this.

Oleg.
Defenestration 11/05/2004 05:48 am

Thanks!