Images not downloading

Patricia 10/13/2004 04:25 pm
Hi:

Could you shed some light on why OEP is not downloading the images on the right hand side of this screen?

http://www.slfa.com/slfa/index.php?defaultarticle=2002&defaultnode=16&layout=10&pagefunction=Load%20Layout

I`ve tried various settings but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,
Oleg Chernavin 10/14/2004 08:35 am
Can you please click the AutoSave button and then browse the site offline? This should load all missing files automatically.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Patricia 10/15/2004 11:09 am
> Can you please click the AutoSave button and then browse the site offline? This should load all missing files automatically.

Hi Oleg:

Could you give more details as to the procedure for this? AutoSave is on by default (10min. interval), so should I click to remove it for downloading? Then turn it on for browsing the downloaded site off line?

I tried various combinations but the images aren`t coming in.

I also tried dragging and dropping the missing images to "add link to selected project".

Thanks,
Patricia
Oleg Chernavin 10/15/2004 12:54 pm
There is an AutoSave button on the toolbar of the Internal browser. It looks like a blue diskette. Click once on it to make it pressed. Now when you browse the site offline, all missing images and files should be loaded and added to the selected Project automatically.

Oleg.
Patricia 10/15/2004 01:03 pm
> There is an AutoSave button on the toolbar of the Internal browser. It looks like a blue diskette. Click once on it to make it pressed. Now when you browse the site offline, all missing images and files should be loaded and added to the selected Project automatically.
> > Oleg.

Hi Oleg:

I do not have that button. My version of OEP is 3.2.1733 Service Release 1
Is that the problem?
10/15/2004 01:15 pm
> I do not have that button. My version of OEP is 3.2.1733 Service Release 1
> Is that the problem?

Yes. From the OEP History:

-----
Offline Explorer Pro
3.3.1788 Service Release 1
8/26/2004

- Added AutoSave feature to the Internal Browser toolbar
-----

You should update your software.

Oleg Chernavin 10/16/2004 07:53 am
Yes, please upgrade to the following version:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/opsetup.exe

Oleg.
Patricia 10/20/2004 03:59 pm
Hi Oleg:

I upgraded and used the AutoSave button but the images are still not coming in.
Does it work for you?

Thanks,

Patricia
Oleg Chernavin 10/20/2004 04:04 pm
I am at home now and I cannot try it again. However I remember that I tried it myself and it worked. What I did was - I selected the Project I downloaded for that site, then clicked the AutoSave button (near the Address bar of the Internal browser) - it became pressed. Then I clicked the Browse button on toolbar.

If this doesn`t help, please make sure you have the Internal HTTP server enabled in the Options dialog.

Oleg.
Patricia 10/21/2004 12:22 pm
Hi Oleg:

The Internal HTTP server is on and defaulted to 800. The project settings are all at default.
Is there anything else you can think of? If yours is working, could you send me the project file?

Patricia
Oleg Chernavin 10/22/2004 10:26 am
I just tried again - I created a new Project with the URL:

http://www.slfa.com/slfa/index.php?defaultarticle=2002&defaultnode=16&layout=10&pagefunction=Load%20Layout

I clicked the AutoSave button started browsing it without downloading the Project first. When I saw the page loaded, I walked with the mouse over the right-hand menus and all menu items loaded.

The only two images that were missing were to rightmost image of a random artist and a smaller image just below the "The Characters" menu item. Do you get the same results?

Oleg.
Patricia 10/22/2004 01:03 pm
Oleg:

Help ! ;-)

I did not get the results you got, just the same as all my previous attempts. The menus or pictures on the right are not downloading, only the "news" button is.

Maybe I`m not following your steps correctly, or there is a step missing, here is my sorry tale ;-)

> I just tried again - I created a new Project with the URL:
> >http://www.slfa.com/slfa/index.php?defaultarticle=2002&defaultnode=16&layout=10&pagefunction=Load%20Layout

I pasted the url in the internal browser, hit enter, and went the the host site.
I clicked on "new" to start the new project.

> > I clicked the AutoSave button started browsing it without downloading the Project first.

While still at the host site, I clicked AutoSave and started browsing. I did not choose Download/start.

> > When I saw the page loaded, I walked with the mouse over the right-hand menus and all menu items loaded.

By "loaded" do you mean loaded in the internal browser window or *down*loaded.
At this point nothing downloaded into my PC. I only saw the entire page at the host site.
Should it have started downloading automatically according to the project settings?

I assume the Autosave is supposed to download from the host site, but how does it know where to download it to if the Project isn`t downloaded first?

> > The only two images that were missing were to rightmost image of a random artist and a smaller image just below the "The Characters" menu item. Do you get the same results?
> > Oleg.

Nothing downloaded. I then hit "Download/start" and the project downloaded. The menus images or pictures on the right are not downloading, only the "news" button is.

After the download, I walked over the (broken) images with the AutoSave button was still enabled and nothing more downloaded. I also walked over the images at the host site, and nothing more downloaded.

Perhaps there is some other setting that I am missing? I don`t know if you noticed by the images at the host site change every few seconds. THe images for the menus, however, are stable.

Patricia
10/23/2004 12:27 am
> I did not get the results you got, just the same as all my previous attempts.
> The menus or pictures on the right are not downloading, only the "news" button is.

I think that I know what`s your main problem. The last final OEP version doesn`t download the menu images. For example, OEP tries to download from this incorrect URL:

http://www.slfa.com/slfa/sitefiles/layout/Main/Management.gif:sitefiles/layout/Main/Management-on.gif

There were improvements between Beta 1820 and Beta 1824 that solved the problem.
You should download one of the latest Betas:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1832.zip

You should be able to download the project without the Autosave function.
(Enable the TEXT, IMAGES and USER DEFINED File Filters)

Nevertheless:

> I pasted the url in the internal browser, hit enter, and went the the host site.
> I clicked on "new" to start the new project.

You don`t have to do that. Just follow exactly the steps that Oleg described. I would also first clear the "Temporary Internet Files" folder (so that the Browser doesn`t show any cached pages, and you can be sure that everything really works correct).

If you want to use the Autosave function, you should use the Offline Link Translation. (Otherwise you would have to drag-and-drop missing links to your project or you would always have to click on "Internal browser settings... Browse current URL Offline")

> While still at the host site, I clicked AutoSave and started browsing.

How did you do that? Have you clicked immediately on links in the Internal Browser?
This isn`t the way the Autosave function does work. You should first click on the Autosave button and then on the Browse button in the toolbar, then you can browse the site in the Internal Browser.

> I did not choose Download/start.

That`s correct.

>> When I saw the page loaded, I walked with the mouse over the right-hand menus
>> and all menu items loaded.
>
> By "loaded" do you mean loaded in the internal browser window or *down*loaded.

Both. You should see the download process in OEP`s "Download Progress" window.

> At this point nothing downloaded into my PC. I only saw the entire page at the host site.
> Should it have started downloading automatically according to the project settings?

With Autosave enabled, OEP downloads additional single URLs, not the whole project. Just look in the Project URLs field...

> I assume the Autosave is supposed to download from the host site,
> but how does it know where to download it to if the Project isn`t downloaded first?

I think that this should be clear now. OEP browses (or: you browse) the project offline and OEP downloads automatically files when you click on links that are yet not saved on your HDD.

> Nothing downloaded. I then hit "Download/start" and the project downloaded.
> The menus images or pictures on the right are not downloading, only the "news" button is.

Ok, that`s the bug in the earlier version.

> I don`t know if you noticed by the images at the host site change every few seconds.

These are the random images. OEP doesn`t combine the parts of the URL correctly. (OEP should delete the created "default.htm" in the combination:
www.slfa.com/slfa/sitefiles/layout/Main/random_images/default.htm2.jpg)

I don`t know if Oleg can find a way to fix it, if it`s important for you.

HTH
Patricia 11/03/2004 12:29 pm
Thanks. I`ll install the Beta you suggested. Hopefully that will fix the menu images problem.

I can probably live with the Random images not downloading.

Best,

Patricia