Problems writing to DVD

John 09/25/2004 11:27 am
I have problems writing downloaded web sites to dvd. Whenever I try to write a few gigs to dvd using Nero Burn the program (Nero Burns) hangs. I tried exporting the project as well but that is also causing problems because Offline Explorer hangs before I could export everything. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Defenestration 09/25/2004 11:00 pm
> I have problems writing downloaded web sites to dvd. Whenever I try to write a few gigs to dvd using Nero Burn the program (Nero Burns) hangs. I tried exporting the project as well but that is also causing problems because Offline Explorer hangs before I could export everything. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John,

I`m guessing here, but because you`re having problems when burning with Nero then the initial problem you describe is not related to OE. There is a known problem with Windows having problems accessing folders/directories containing too many files. Because websites often contain complex file structures then this is the likely root of this problem with Nero (Another reason would be a bug in Nero itself). A possible solution would be to try the following:

1) Delete the project causing the problems (If the project is big this is not ideal, I know:o)!)

2) Enable the option "Options->Advanced->File Locations->Prevent download directories from overloading"

3) Re-download the project again.

This solution works by limiting the number of files that are saved to each folder. If this limit is reached a new folder is created, thereby bypassing the problem with Windows. You may ask why this option is not enabled by default - the answer being that OE operates faster when it is disabled. However, I would recommend you enable this option by default since it will (should:o) eliminate this problem you are experiencing.

The problems you are experiencing with OE hanging when exporting could also be related to this. Again, I recommend trying the above and enabling the "Prevent download directories from overloading" option.

Let me know if this helps.

Oleg Chernavin 09/26/2004 02:38 am
Yes, this should definetely help.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
John 09/26/2004 04:13 am
> > I have problems writing downloaded web sites to dvd. Whenever I try to write a few gigs to dvd using Nero Burn the program (Nero Burns) hangs. I tried exporting the project as well but that is also causing problems because Offline Explorer hangs before I could export everything. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> John,
>
> I`m guessing here, but because you`re having problems when burning with Nero then the initial problem you describe is not related to OE. There is a known problem with Windows having problems accessing folders/directories containing too many files. Because websites often contain complex file structures then this is the likely root of this problem with Nero (Another reason would be a bug in Nero itself). A possible solution would be to try the following:
>
> 1) Delete the project causing the problems (If the project is big this is not ideal, I know:o)!)
>
> 2) Enable the option "Options->Advanced->File Locations->Prevent download directories from overloading"
>
> 3) Re-download the project again.
>
> This solution works by limiting the number of files that are saved to each folder. If this limit is reached a new folder is created, thereby bypassing the problem with Windows. You may ask why this option is not enabled by default - the answer being that OE operates faster when it is disabled. However, I would recommend you enable this option by default since it will (should:o) eliminate this problem you are experiencing.
>
> The problems you are experiencing with OE hanging when exporting could also be related to this. Again, I recommend trying the above and enabling the "Prevent download directories from overloading" option.
>
> Let me know if this helps.
>
> Hi

Thanks for the advice. I will definately try it out and report back to you. Fortunately, it is not a problem with all websites. A few more questions: Do I need to extract files before burning them to DVD or can i burn them directly from the outset. Could you please advice me on the differance between "download only modified and new files" and "do not download existing files". Which one should i select? And when selecting a project to download, how many links should I select? And what on earth is "parsing". I tried to look these up on the help files but without any success. Thanks for your assistance. (By the way Offline Explorer is definately the leader in download programs!)

Oleg Chernavin 09/27/2004 01:46 am
> A few more questions: Do I need to extract files before burning them to DVD or can i burn them directly from the outset.

You can burn the files directly from the exported directory. It is fine.

> Could you please advice me on the differance between "download only modified and new files" and "do not download existing files".

The first updates the downloaded site and all of the files that were downloaded will be checked if they are modified since the previous download.

The latter is useful when you downloaded only a part of a Web site and stopped the download. It allows you to continue from the stop point.

> And when selecting a project to download, how many links should I select?

If you mean Level, this means is how deep the site. Please click the Wizard button on toolbar, enter any Web address and click Next. You will see a detailed Level setting explanation there. Please let me know if you want more information.

> And what on earth is "parsing".

Sorry for the technical terms. This means extraction of links from downloaded files and changing the links in files to work offline. Most of the downloaded files may contain links (HTMLs, Flash applets, styles, scripts, many others).

Oleg.
John 09/27/2004 03:34 pm
Hi Oleg

Thanks for all the advice and your patience. You have been a great help. I will revert to you should I need further assistance.
Oleg Chernavin 09/28/2004 05:03 am
Sure! I am glad to help you. Just let me know when you need any advice.

Oleg.