Links to files dont work when exporting

John Barton 09/22/2004 12:23 am
Hi I`ve just downloaded the program and have successfully managed to download a website. When viewing the site in Offline explorer all of the links to files (eg powerpoint/word) work and when you click on them, it wants to open/save the file to your hard disk.

When the site is exported to my c:\ drive folder, the links stop working properly. I need to right click on them and `save to file`. If I click on them with my left mouse button nothing happens.

The filenames are pretty unusual. Is there anything I can do to have them work properly in the export?

With thanks
John Barton
Oleg Chernavin 09/22/2004 10:27 am
Please make sure you have the "Standard extensions" box checked in the Export dialog. This should help.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Soti 09/23/2004 08:56 am
Sorry guys, your offline explorer is a great product but I am having the same problem export function. I think you should ask your developers` team to fix the bug.

I have manually downloaded a collection of roughly 2000 pages from a site and I can see everything offline when I open the project with Offline Explorer Pro 3.3 but when I export into CHM only a couple of links work with the majority pointing to a "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable..." message.

> Please make sure you have the "Standard extensions" box checked in the Export dialog. This should help.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 09/23/2004 09:02 am
Can you please tell me what site did you export and which exact links do not work?

It is possible that some very complex scripts may fail working in CHM files.

Oleg.
Soti 09/24/2004 06:07 am
Thanks Oleg for your prompt reply.

They are pages from an online dictionary. The pages themselves are nothing unusual. they have text and icons. The links to those pages are somewhat unusual because they are extracted from a database. E.g. they will end into something like ".../views/BROWSE.html@subject=s19&book=t82&goto=B".

After I downloaded a few dosen of them I tried a test export and it worked fine. Then I downloaded the rest but I had to edit the project properties because something went wrong on the way and the root of the tree was not what I wanted to be my starting point. I only changed the first address URL in the list (the one without "SingleURL...")

Now, as I said, the pages have been downloaded and I can view them offline only inside the offline browser. When I export I get the right starting point and only 4 links work properly. The links will point to something like "...Exported.chm::/browse.html@subject=s19&book=t82&goto=k.htm" but the link displays "The page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable..."

So, it is not a matter of the links being too complicated to be parsed but rather some kind of hierarhy that defines in your algorithm which sites to include into the CHM export.

I also tried starting a new project. Offline explorer can find the links into its cache and it will display they without downloading again. When I export the new project there is only the first page into the CHM file. When I look into the new project`s properties there is only the initial URL into the list of addresses and nothing more. The original project was adding the addresses of the pages I was browsing manually. Is this the hierarchy that I was talking before?
I tried changing every posible parameter for export without success. I tried exporting in MHT but I got a similar behaviour.

What other information can I give you to explain better?

Oleg Chernavin 09/24/2004 01:03 pm
Can you please send me your Project settings to support@metaproducts.com ? Just select the Project, click Copy button on toolbar and then paste it to the E-mail message.

I will try to reproduce the problem and make a suggestion on how to make the CHM file.

Thank you!

Oleg.