Suggestion: Option to expand the Keywords field in URL Filters

Hennen 09/17/2004 05:00 am
Hello,

I really would appreciate to have an option to expand the Keywords field in:

URL Filters - Server
URL Filters - Directory
URL Filters - Filename

Sometimes it`s really a pity to edit and control the custom configuration in these small fields.
What I would like to see:
Press F11 -> expand the keywords field to the maximum possible width (as seen in: Project - URLs)
You could also place a Maximize Text button near "Custom filenames configuration".
A Minimize button could be placed in the expanded view (on the right side in the first line, or in the second line: |-|. Or, if you think it would better: place a One Line Text button at the bottom of the expanded field: "Go back to the standard edit view", "Minimize the edit field" or "Go back" or ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
|B| |-|
|Add >| |Remove <| |View included files keywords |Y|

Go back to the standard edit view
|OK| |Cancel| |Help|

Some notes:

|Add >| |Remove <|
Of course, the arrows should point to up and down

|Go back...| or |-| are optional

I doubt that it would be necessary to see "Keyword" in the first line (I like to have more free space instead). If you don`t agree, then please let it stay on the right side, because then it would be easier to compare the keywords.

I`m sure that most people would like such an extension. And I hope that you will find an easy way to integrate it.

Many thanks in advance

Best regards,

Hennen
Hennen 09/17/2004 05:08 am
Oops, all the free space at the beginning of a line is gone away.
Well, once more:

___ = free space

______________________________________________|B| |-|
|Add >| |Remove <| ______ |View included files keywords |Y|

_____________Go back to the standard edit view
__________________________________ |OK| |Cancel| |Help|

I hope, it is correct now. Clicking "Send"...
Hennen 09/17/2004 05:15 am
> I hope, it is correct now.

No! Your editor makes me crazy, but I swear, the last try and perhaps you already know what I wanted to show.

xxx = free space

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|B| |-|
|Add >| |Remove <| |View included files keywords |Y|

xxxxxxxxxxxxxGo back to the standard edit view
Oleg Chernavin 09/17/2004 10:49 am
Thank you for the suggestion! We will think on how this can be implemented.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Hennen 09/18/2004 05:34 am
Dear Oleg,

Thank you very much that you will think about my suggestion! I know that there are much more important things on your To-Do list...
I thought that this sort of dialog box would be one of the easier to implement. Of course, there would be still room for improvements (especially if you would use a separate resizeable window), perhaps in an upcoming Offline Explorer Pro 4:

- Resizeable window, which saves its size settings in the Registry.

- Horizontal or vertical tiled window (View included files keywords - View excluded...)

- Sorting buttons (move one or some marked keyword(s) up or down)

- Buttons to represent some shortcuts (Ctrl+M, Ctrl-L, )

- Buttons to move some marked or all keywords from one category to the other

- Drag-and-Drop (for sorting (one or some marked keywords) or moving from one category to the other)
But maybe programming this feature is too time expensive...

These are just suggestions, and I don`t expect to see these features in the near future.

Best regards,

Hennen

PS: Sorry for the additional two unuseful postings. I learned my lessons: The editor hasn`t much of WYSIWYG. You can delete the two messages, it`s just junk. ;-)
Oleg Chernavin 09/18/2004 07:08 am
Yes, l this are many things that can be done. I am not sure about all of them (to keep things simple), but I will try.

Oleg.
Hennen 09/18/2004 11:20 am
I must agree, not all of the mentioned features are important. You could forget about the shortcut buttons, Drag-and-Drop, "Move to the other category" button ... you know what is really useful.
But I would like to see the sorting option; sorting only one keyword with |Add >>>| and |Remove <<<| is boring... ;-) And this feature could also be implemented in the dialog box that i mentioned in my first posting.
You could add Up and Down arrow buttons for this action - without any text in the button (I think that it isn`t necessary, because the resulting action is really harmless and the user can instantly see what happens). The second line in the dialog box could look like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|Add >| |Remove <| |U| |D| |View included files keywords |Y|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|U| |D| = Up and Down arrow buttons

I would already be satisfied to see a dialog box like in my first posting.

> but I will try.

Thank you! But take your time. ;-)

Best regards,

Hennen
Oleg Chernavin 09/23/2004 11:46 am
OK. I just added the ability to expand the keywords list with the F11 key. I also added Up/Down buttons there. Please download the updated oe.exe file here:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1802.zip

Oleg.
09/24/2004 03:47 am
> OK. I just added the ability to expand the keywords list with the F11 key.

Wow! I never expected that you would add this ability in such a short time.
Thank you very much! :-)

I see that you prefer to have more vertical free space. Although you still aren`t able to see a long keyword at once, I must agree that it has also its good sides; i.e better control of large lists, a similar look like the "small view", possibility to easily add more buttons in the future...

I think your decision was good. Thanks a lot!

! I also added Up/Down buttons there.

Unbelievable! I thought that this would be a function that I wouldn`t see in the near future. Now I can easily put similar keywords together (i.e. moving "forgotton" keywords to "their" groups). Checking the keywords list is now an easy task.
This is a real relief!

Thank you very much for your excellent support!

Best regards,

Hennen
Oleg Chernavin 09/24/2004 05:14 am
You are welcome! The only thing that bothers me is that the screen looks too crowded now.

Oleg.
Hennen 09/25/2004 07:57 am
> The only thing that bothers me is that the screen looks too crowded now.

I can`t agree. At least for me it looks quite good. Perhaps it is only a acclimatization thing. ;-)

The only thing that doesn`t work 100% perfectly, is the moving of the keywords. Shouldn`t the scrollbar follow the moved keyword, in order to be able to see where it is going? Currently you can move the keyword out of view (to the "invisible" area of the list). You have to adjust the screen to see where the keyword currently is.

Please don`t hurt me, but I also have other suggestions: ;-)

1.) Would it be possible that the URL Substitutes window "remembers" its size settings: window size and position; column width of "URL", "Replace" and "With"?

Currently I have to adjust these things everytime when I`m testing some settings. You know that there are some complex sites, that aren`t easy to download in the way you want to have them on your HD. You have to do some tests. And then it can be really annoying to make these (four) adjustments all the time, again and again...

2.) I don`t know if there are many people out there that are missing some buttons. I would be glad to have a button "Delete only Project files", that I could access instantly, because this is a really frequent task for me (for test purposes).
To make this button as small as the others, you could make a button without an icon; instead:

A button with 2 text lines:
Delete only
Project files

o.k., this should be enough for today. ;-)
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Hennen
Oleg Chernavin 09/27/2004 09:08 am
Thank you for the suggestions! I just implemented them all. Please test the updated version and let me know if they work well or not:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1805.zip

Oleg.
Hennen 09/28/2004 05:01 am
Wow! It`s in fact amazing what you are doing within a few days for the users.
Thank you very much!

> > The only thing that doesn`t work 100 % perfectly, is the moving of the keywords.

It`s fixed now. Great!

>> 1.) Would it be possible that the URL Substitutes window "remembers" its size settings:
>> window size and position; column width of "URL", "Replace" and "With"?

It works nearly perfect. The window seems not to like any column widths over approx. 500 pixels (it does not remember these settings). You can try to widen one of the column above this limit. With the next call the width of the changed column returns to its default setting. Could this be fixed? Then it would be perfect.

>> 2.) I would be glad to have a button "Delete only Project files",

Yeah, I`m really glad to have it now; and it looks really good too!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Hennen
Oleg Chernavin 09/28/2004 05:05 am
> It works nearly perfect. The window seems not to like any column widths over approx. 500 pixels (it does not remember these settings). You can try to widen one of the column above this limit. With the next call the width of the changed column returns to its default setting. Could this be fixed?

The logic here is simple - Offline Explorer restores the width if it is less than the width of the list with the rules. Do you really need wider columns?

Oleg.
Hennen 09/28/2004 07:15 am
I can`t recognize any other logic than I described already in my other message?!?

>> The window seems not to like any column widths over approx. 500 pixels
>> (it does not remember these settings)

Please try the following setting:

URL:
http://www.server.com/dir01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890/dir2/

Replace:
/dir2/

With:
/dir3/

Now adjust the column widths, so that you can see all keywords in full length.
What I see with the next call is:

URL:
http://www.server.com/dir01234567890123456...

Replace:
/dir2/

With:
/dir3/

I`m not able to see the whole URL at once. This shouldn`t be.

Best regards,
Hennen
Oleg Chernavin 09/28/2004 07:38 am
It was a silly bug! Thank you! I am going to release the new version today or tomorrow.

Oleg.
Hennen 09/30/2004 09:39 am
Thank you for the fixing!

Best regards,
Hennen
Oleg Chernavin 09/30/2004 09:52 am
You are welcome!

Oleg.