Specify FileName when Downloading?

Kristov 09/08/2004 11:29 am
We are attempting to use OfflineExplorer to download a specific web page - a page of temperatures in fact from:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?TempBox=1&DewBox=1&ExtraBox=1&WindBox=1&HumidBox=1&SkyBox=1&RainBox=1&ThunderBox=1&PoPBox=1&Submit=Submit&FcstType=digital&map.y=132&map.x=217&site=fwd&Radius=0&CiTemplate=0

the follow up to this is to use TextPipePro to filter out the junk and pull out the data values only that we are after on a daily basis.

My problem is that I would like to be able to download the file and specifiy the name so that it is called EnnisWeather.htm or EnnisWeather090804.htm (dated) instead of the junk name that I get that gives me errors when I try and load it using TextPipePro.

Is this possible? I can not seem to find it for some reason in the OfflineExplorer program.

Thanks,

Kristov
09/08/2004 06:33 pm
Have you tried "URL Substitutes"?

Project Properties

Advanced

URL Substitutes

URL:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?TempBox=1&DewBox=1&ExtraBox=1&WindBox=1&HumidBox=1&SkyBox=1&RainBox=1&ThunderBox=1&PoPBox=1&Submit=Submit&FcstType=digital&map.y=132&map.x=217&site=fwd&Radius=0&CiTemplate=0

Replace:
MapClick.php?TempBox=1&DewBox=1&ExtraBox=1&WindBox=1&HumidBox=1&SkyBox=1&RainBox=1&ThunderBox=1&PoPBox=1&Submit=Submit&FcstType=digital&map.y=132&map.x=217&site=fwd&Radius=0&CiTemplate=0

With:
EnnisWeather.htm

Click on "Add"

Important!:
Uncheck the rule in the rules list.

(See the chapter "URL Substitutes" in the Help file:

"By default, URL Substitution rules will be applied to all links Offline Explorer is about to download. But if you want to load links as they are, but convert filenames that will be saved to your hard disk, uncheck the rule in the rules list.")

AFAIK URL macros aren`t supported in URL Substitutes:

{:0month}{:0day}{:year}EnnisWeather.htm

doesn`t work as a substitute.

HTH
Oleg Chernavin 09/09/2004 11:39 am
Yes, URL Substitutes should help here.

Regarding URL Macros there - I can add this if it is necessary. Do you have a real need for this?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Kristov 09/09/2004 02:55 pm
> Yes, URL Substitutes should help here.
>
> Regarding URL Macros there - I can add this if it is necessary. Do you have a real need for this?
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff

Is it a very difficult add? Its main use would be for backup/archiving purposes in this case but I would think that this would be a useful feature for anyone else using it for this type of purpose.

My company is basically using your Offline explorer with textpipe pro to create a very easy and simple "web scraping" tool that can be used to pull down data.

Seems like this would be a useful feature for other companies who wish to do this type of activity since we arent pulling down a whole website - just a page of data that we may wish to store for archival purposes.

Thanks,

Kristov
Kristov 09/09/2004 03:05 pm
By the way - we plan on pulling ours down every hour when they update the temperature forecasts.

So if you were to add such a thing as @GETDATE() to it or something, probably should also add "longdate" to include time if you feel so inclined.

Even if you don`t add it for this particular situation - it is something to think about - I can write a multitude of things to take care of renaming the file and moving it for archival purposes in DTS.

Thanks,

Kristov
09/09/2004 03:49 pm
> probably should also add "longdate" to include time

Time macros are already there: have a look in the "Using URL Macros" Help chapter. I don`t think that Oleg will "forget" to implement them if he adds URL Macros in URL Substitutes. ;-)
Kristov 09/09/2004 04:43 pm
> > probably should also add "longdate" to include time
>
> Time macros are already there: have a look in the "Using URL Macros" Help chapter. I don`t think that Oleg will "forget" to implement them if he adds URL Macros in URL Substitutes. ;-)

Well i just meant if he goes thru and adds a "couple" of possibilities instead of the entire array of possible Macros. I think date will be the most important one for a multitude of uses.

-Kristov
Oleg Chernavin 09/10/2004 04:56 am
OK. I just added the URL Macros support for the URL Substitutes. Here is the updated Offline Explorer Pro:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1795.zip

Oleg.
09/10/2004 07:56 am
As always: You are really fast. Impressive support!
And I think that I can also speak in the name of Kristov: Thank you very much!
Oleg Chernavin 09/10/2004 11:57 am
You are welcome!

Oleg.
Kristov 09/13/2004 09:52 am
Thanks oleg - that was very impressive!