Bugs found in latest release

Geoffrey Spencer 09/04/2004 12:40 pm
Hello,

Has anyone experienced bugs when trying to minimize OE with the latest release? I have my OE to remove the icon from the taskbar but leaving in (forgot the name of) right-part of the Windows layout. I noticed that if I click the Home button in OE a new tab opens up with the Home page and the website I was at is left open in the original tab (I like this new feature by the way). I sometimes go back to the first tab and close it. So far so good. I then click the minimize buttons then I am getting pop-up saying API errors and other problems. (Oleg, I`ll write the errors down next time this happens and post it if you need the exact errors.) These errors also affect the Windows O/S. I cannot switch to another application. The only way to "fix" this is to shutdown or kill OE instance via the task manager.

FYI, I`m using Windows XP Professional SP1 on a PIII Dell Computer with 512 Mb of memory and the latest release of OE.
Geoffrey Spencer 09/04/2004 12:50 pm
Had it happen again just now.

Popup error window 1 says:
Access violation at address 74647664.
Read of address 74647664.

Then I get a few error windows with no text found in the window nor in the button. I click the button.

I try switching to another application and I get the same sequence of error windows.

I shutdown OE using the task manager. I start up OE again and it behaves as if nothing bad happen.

Hope that helps with the bug fixing.
Sergey 09/05/2004 11:16 am
Dear Oleg,

I have the same problem with OEPro 3.3 Build 1788 Service Release 1 under Windows 2003 (with all patches, without non-native firewalls/antiviruses
OE was crashed several times and couldn`t work with "access violation..." error. Also I couldn`t minimize OE.
The problem was _temporary_ fixed with OE reinstallation.

It`s happens with any large sites - ~25-30Gb, a lot of PHP scripts, ~25000 files in the same folder (OE place all in the same folder after script parsing)
Probably part of problem may be related with huge amount files in one folder - (OE stops for a 5-10 sec often during download)? May we fix it?

Thank you!
Best wishes,
Sergey

> Had it happen again just now.
>
> Popup error window 1 says:
> Access violation at address 74647664.
> Read of address 74647664.
>
Geoffrey Spencer 09/05/2004 12:09 pm
Just to add more information.

I had this same bug pop-up when I updated a website to get the update. Close the (just visited website) tab window after clicking the home button. This time I clicked the + (plus) symbol next to the project I just updated. OE crashed.

I kill the OE instance via the Task Manager. I start OE again. I open and close the project and no crashing. I minimize and no crashing. I open the website I was at then open and close the project and minimize OE and no crashing. I click the home button to get a new tab window. I then open and close the project and minimize and no crashing. I close the website`s tab to leave just the home page tab and then OE crashes when I minimize.

It is definitely the new tab feature that is causing the crashing of OE. Could be unreleased memory with the tabbed window.

Is there a way to turn off tab windows until a fix is released?
Sergey 09/05/2004 03:15 pm
Oleg,

I just re-check the problem - OE freezes every time when each file`s download process come to 99% - probably OE try to do something in directory with 25000 files? May we fix it?

Thank you!
Best wishes,
Sergey
Sergey 09/05/2004 04:38 pm
Oleg,

I may add the following details: I have ~85000 files at one folder
Unfortunately OE downloads URL like http://www.test.com/members/g.php?l=test/members/1791/video/real//1791_test_07.rm and don`t sort files into separate folders...

Thank you for help,

Best wishes,
Sergey

> Oleg,
>
> I just re-check the problem - OE freezes every time when each file`s download process come to 99% - probably OE try to do something in directory with 25000 files? May we fix it?
>
> Thank you!
> Best wishes,
> Sergey
Oleg Chernavin 09/06/2004 05:30 am
Sergey,

Windows has problems accessing folders with too many files. Offline Explorer Pro has protection against folders overloading. It makes downloading and parsing a bit slower, so it is turned off by default. Please go to the Options dialog | File Locations and enable that setting, click OK button.

I would suggest you to remove the folder with so many files and start again. Offline Explorer Pro will create subdirectories when there are over 1000 files in the directory.

Geoffrey Spencer:

I will check the minimization problem now and get back with you.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Sergey 09/06/2004 11:06 am
Oleg,

Thank you! I will enable protection right now...Will it help me, if I`m in mid of large downloading? Shall I restart OE and what happened with already downloaded files - will its download again into separate folders?

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Sergey

> Sergey,
>
> Windows has problems accessing folders with too many files. Offline Explorer Pro has protection against folders overloading. It makes downloading and parsing a bit slower, so it is turned off by default. Please go to the Options dialog | File Locations and enable that setting, click OK button.
>
> I would suggest you to remove the folder with so many files and start again. Offline Explorer Pro will create subdirectories when there are over 1000 files in the directory.
>
Sergey 09/06/2004 04:06 pm
Oleg,

Except "a lot of files @ one directory" problem, I may confirm "access violation..." error - I saw it on latest version fresh installation...
Until it fixed, I will use old version

Thank you!
Best wishes,
Sergey

Oleg Chernavin 09/07/2004 03:43 am
> I will enable protection right now...Will it help me, if I`m in mid of large downloading?

It is better to remove all files in that folder because it is already oveloaded and no file cannot be written there.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 09/07/2004 08:41 am
Can you try the updated Offline Explorer Pro file?

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1793.zip

Does it work correctly?

Oleg.
Sergey 09/08/2004 02:16 am
Thank you! I will try it today

Sergey

> Can you try the updated Offline Explorer Pro file?
>
> http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1793.zip
>
> Does it work correctly?
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 09/08/2004 02:39 am
Yes, please let me know the results as soon as possible!

Oleg.
Geoffrey Spencer 09/08/2004 11:24 am
Hi Oleg,

I tried your fix (build 1793) and I had the same crashing as before. Can you reproduce the problem at your end?

Go to a member`s only website (I haven`t tried public sites yet), look around the site for a bit then click the home button. A new tab opens with the OE`s home page. Close the tab with the member`s only website. Now, minimize and OE crashes at this point. I`m using Windows XP Pro SP 1 on a PIII Dell computer with 512 MB of RAM.

> Yes, please let me know the results as soon as possible!
> > Oleg.
Sergey 09/08/2004 05:52 pm
Oleg,

My OE still work w/o problem for a 1 day...
I will continue test

Best wishes
Sergey

>
> Oleg.
Sergey 09/09/2004 12:57 am
Oleg,
Error doesn`t happened yet, but OE was exit suddenly 2 times...There were no errors shows and no events in eventlog. Also I have sufficient space...
May we troubleshoot such exists?

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Sergey

>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 09/09/2004 11:44 am
Can these exits be reproduced? Do they happen only when downloading certain sites or when browsing them offline?

Oleg.
Geoffrey Spencer 09/09/2004 12:09 pm
Oleg,

I`m not sure what errors Sergey is experiencing but I can tell you for sure I`m having issues with the new tab feature. I had two tabs open to two different websites and I clicked "Close All" and OE crashed.

Last night, I did not use the tab feature. I typed out the home url (http://127.0.0.1:800) instead of clicking the home button. I was careful not to have another tab open up. I had no crash at all last night. This morning I tested the tab feature. I had two tab windows open and I minimized then I crashed. The crashing in my case is related to the tabs feature.

Quick question: This build of OE wants to start at http://127.0.0.1:0 instead of the usual port 800. It asks for my username and password. What is it for OE?

Thanks
Sergey 09/10/2004 02:11 am
Oleg,

I saw such strange exits with OE 3.3.x only (with 2 large sites - don`t tested more)...I use previous version with the same site w/o pronblems.
Can we force OE to log "why it happened"?

Thank you
Best wishes,
Sergey

> Can these exits be reproduced? Do they happen only when downloading certain sites or when browsing them offline?
>
> Oleg.
Sergey 09/10/2004 08:14 am
Oleg,

FYI: I just downloaded the same large site with OE 3.2 w/o problems. There were 3 OE 3.3 exits before...

Thanks
Best wishes,
Sergey

> Oleg,
>
> I saw such strange exits with OE 3.3.x only (with 2 large sites - don`t tested more)...I use previous version with the same site w/o pronblems.
> Can we force OE to log "why it happened"?
>
> Thank you
> Best wishes,
> Sergey
Oleg Chernavin 09/10/2004 09:10 am
I still can`t reproduce this problem with the browser tabs. I tried Windows 98 SE and XP/SP1.

Can you try it on some other computer?

Regarding the 0 port - what Internal server port setting do you have in the Options dialog?

Oleg.
Defenestration 09/10/2004 08:09 pm
I`m having the same problem with the tabs and can reproduce it on XP SP2. Sometimes it will crash when minimized, other times it will crash when restoring after being minimized. The error is an Access violation - Read of address. To reproduce I do the following:

1) Start OE
2) Double-click on a downloaded project in the Project Tree.
3) Click on 3 or 4 links
4) Click on the Home button in the browser toolbar (this opens a second tab)
5) Right-click on the first tab (ie. the one with the downloaded project) and select Close
6) Click the minimize icon in the OE window title bar (** Sometimes I get the Access violation here)
7) Click the OE taskbar button to Restore the OE window (** Sometimes the Access violation happens here)

Let me know if you need any more info.
Oleg Chernavin 09/14/2004 12:16 pm
I was able to reproduce the bug on one computer. I think, I just fixed it. At least, it doesn`t reproduce anymore there.

Can you please test the following oe.exe file?

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1799.zip

Does it work?

Oleg.
Defenestration 09/15/2004 01:24 pm
> Does it work?

It`s certainly fixed the crash I was experiencing. Thanks!
Oleg Chernavin 09/16/2004 07:43 am
Great!

Oleg.
Geoffrey Spencer 09/16/2004 11:13 am
Sorry for the delay. I was busy and I wanted to test the fix over a couple of days. Absolutely no more of that bug. You are the best, Oleg!

> Great!
> > Oleg.