overlook same named files

Rice Krispy 08/18/2004 07:50 am
I`m thinking of buying offline explorer but have a question. Currently I`m using teleport which is easy but doesn`t seem to do one thing I really want it to do, maybe I`m just not doing it right though. Since I heard about this program I thought I`d check into it. Seems to have alot more features and this forum seems good, couldn`t find one for teleport. Here`s my question though.

Say you have 1000 files from a certain website already from other sources. You then want to make the entire site available for offline browsing. Is there a way to stick all the files you currently have into a folder, then run a new project and have the project NOT overwrite the files that you put there if they have the same name as files from the site.

Say you have put a file called newcastle.wmv in the folder and say it`s 500MBs, redownloading and overwriting it would be a waste of time obviously. Unless I`m seeing it wrong teleport just seems to overwrite the files if they have the same name.
Is there a way in OfflineExplorer to not overwrite newcastle.wmv and just move on? Or better yet, check to see if it`s the same size as what would be downloaded and if the same skip, if different overwrite or rename?
Oleg Chernavin 08/18/2004 08:31 am
> Seems to have alot more features and this forum seems good, couldn`t find one for teleport.

Yes, most of other products do not have forums, while this is a very good place to get support.

> Is there a way to stick all the files you currently have into a folder, then run a new project and have the project NOT overwrite the files that you put there if they have the same name as files from the site.

Yes, this is easy to do. By default, all Projects save files into the same folder and some files loaded by one Project can be used by another. This saves space and time necessary to download Web sites.

Offline Explorer has several options when some file is about to be overwritten. You can find all these options in the Project Properties dialog - File Modification check:

1. Download and overwrite a file only if it has changed on the server.
2. Download and overwrite all files without modification checks.
3. Do not download a file if it was already downloaded.

The (1) is the default Project setting.

If you want to download updated files and rename older versions, you can use the File Copies feature in the Project Properties dialog to rename older files. There are several naming options available.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
RIce Krispy 08/18/2004 06:56 pm
great! thanks alot for the help. :)

I had another question but forgot... hmm..
Oleg Chernavin 08/19/2004 03:10 am
> great! thanks alot for the help. :)

You are welcome!

> I had another question but forgot... hmm..

No problem. I am always here to help!

Oleg.