Will WinXP SP2 affect OE ?

Paul Kroon 08/13/2004 08:16 am
There will be several security related changes in Microsoft Windows XP SP2.
One of these changes is the Local Machine Zone Lockdown.
Will this change affect Offline Explorer ?

More information can be found using Google, i.e.
http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm

The main point is that a HTML file needs to have a line added so that the page will be loaded using the security context of the referenced website. Sample:
<!-- saved from url=(0030)http://www.smalspoormuseum.nl/ -->
The 0030 is the length of the string following.

Hope you can clarify this.
Oleg Chernavin 08/13/2004 08:58 am
Thank you very much! I just added the ability to specify the URL in this format when you export Web pages. You can find the updated oe.exe file here:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1779.zip

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Paul Kroon 08/13/2004 10:24 am
Thanks Oleg, for your swift response.

I do have a few remarks.

1) The message you added to the dialog read: "Add original URL to HTML files". That`s fine if one knows what it is about, otherwise...question marks.

2) Look at this exported contents.htm file:
<HTML>
<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
<html><head><title>Exported Projects</title></head><body bgcolor=white>
<font face="Arial" size=2><b>Exported Projects:</b><p><ul>

<ContentsBody>
<li><a href="www.railmonumenten.nl/default.htm">http://www.railmonumenten.nl/</a><p>
</ContentsBody>
</ul></font></body></html>
<ContentsFile />

a) The URL is "about:internet", that`s weird. But in fact that page should load in the local zone.
b) The <HTML> is in uppercase, should be lowercase. Evenmore the tag appears twice and should not be there at all.
c) The white and 2 attributes should be in quotes: "white", "2" resp.

To fix b) and c) I tried to update the content file header and footer with the Export... Customize... features, but these changes are not reflected when I export again. Not even after restarten OE.

Similarly when I look at the regular exported html files. Sample extract:
<HTML>
<!-- saved from url=(0046)http://www.railmonumenten.nl/ch_hoofdspoor.htm -->
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Railmonumenten</title> ....

Thus twice a <html> statement.
Moreover, the url in the statement is the complete path to the page. I understand from the Microsoft XP2 notes that the path to the top directory should be enough.

Paul
Oleg Chernavin 08/13/2004 11:01 am
> 1) The message you added to the dialog read: "Add original URL to HTML files". That`s fine if one knows what it is about, otherwise...question marks.

OK. I will add some text about it to the Help file. Actually, this feature was requested long time ago and it existed in OE Pro before 3.3 version, but the format of the original URL was another.

> 2) Look at this exported contents.htm file:
>
> a) The URL is "about:internet", that`s weird. But in fact that page should load in the local zone.

I agree, but I don`t know the definition of the local zone and I am not sure how IE will make the transition from the local zone document to internet zone documents when you click a link in the contents.htm file.

> b) The <HTML> is in uppercase, should be lowercase. Evenmore the tag appears twice and should not be there at all.

Fixed.

> c) The white and 2 attributes should be in quotes: "white", "2" resp.

Fixed.

> To fix b) and c) I tried to update the content file header and footer with the Export... Customize... features, but these changes are not reflected when I export again. Not even after restarten OE.
>
> Thus twice a <html> statement.

I have to place an additional <HTML> tag on top, because oetherwise MS IE shows HTML codes when you hit Back button and return to the saved page. It doesn`t detect actual page type correctly if its extension is non-standard.

> Moreover, the url in the statement is the complete path to the page. I understand from the Microsoft XP2 notes that the path to the top directory should be enough.

I know, but some users wanted to have the full URL of the saved document for their references.

Oleg.
Paul Kroon 08/13/2004 01:13 pm
> > a) The URL is "about:internet", that`s weird. But in fact that page should load in the local zone.
> I agree, but I don`t know the definition of the local zone and I am not sure how IE will make the transition from the local zone document to internet zone documents when you click a link in the contents.htm file.

Let`s do some tests when SP2 is globally available. I foresee no problems since there is no active content in the content.htm file.

> > To fix b) and c) I tried to update the content file header and footer with the Export... Customize... features, but these changes are not reflected when I export again. Not even after restarten OE.
Sorry, the point I was trying to make is that the CUSTOMIZATION DOES NOT WORK.

Paul
Oleg Chernavin 08/13/2004 02:30 pm
> Let`s do some tests when SP2 is globally available. I foresee no problems since there is no active content in the content.htm file.

Yes, me too. We tested this on a WinXP/SP2 system and found no problem even when pages are stored on the disk as-is.

> Sorry, the point I was trying to make is that the CUSTOMIZATION DOES NOT WORK.

I tried it and the customization did work. However the problem is that probably you did`t erase the previous contents.htm file. In this case, header will be preserved and OE only adds new records to it.

Oleg.
Paul Kroon 08/13/2004 03:52 pm
> I tried it and the customization did work. However the problem is that probably you did`t erase the previous contents.htm file. In this case, header will be preserved and OE only adds new records to it.

You are quite right. All fixed now.
Thanks for your support, Paul
Oleg Chernavin 08/14/2004 06:38 am
Great!

Oleg.