2 questions

drb 08/08/2004 07:35 pm
Hi,
I am trying to use offline explorer pro and see if it will work for me or not.

I need some help with these. Please do clarify them.

1. My zonealarm pro says that OE.exe is trying to act as a server and another alarm pops up saying that OE.exe is trying to access internet. I can understand OE.exe needs to access internet and grant permission. But do not understand the server part. Could you please clarify on it? Does Offline explorer pro collect any personal information from my computer by doing so?

2. I am wondering if it is possible to download this website and make it work offline.
http://www.ch.embnet.org/software/BOX_form.html
It needs some program or some pgram that resides in their server (csi?). I am non-computer doodler. So hope my explanation is clear. i just want to have the feature on the website offline.
Is it possible?

any help is much appreciated.

cheers,
drb
drb 08/08/2004 09:18 pm
Oops sorry. I am using Enterprise and not pro. Actually i don`t know why I downloaded enterprise as I am not a programmer or something. Pro wil be suffice. for me.
Will the admin, please move this thread to enterprise please? Sorry about that?
and ofcourse, please help me out.

Thanks,

cheers,
drb

> Hi,
> I am trying to use offline explorer pro and see if it will work for me or not.
>
> I need some help with these. Please do clarify them.
>
> 1. My zonealarm pro says that OE.exe is trying to act as a server and another alarm pops up saying that OE.exe is trying to access internet. I can understand OE.exe needs to access internet and grant permission. But do not understand the server part. Could you please clarify on it? Does Offline explorer pro collect any personal information from my computer by doing so?
>
> 2. I am wondering if it is possible to download this website and make it work offline.
> http://www.ch.embnet.org/software/BOX_form.html
> It needs some program or some pgram that resides in their server (csi?). I am non-computer doodler. So hope my explanation is clear. i just want to have the feature on the website offline.
> Is it possible?
>
> any help is much appreciated.
>
> cheers,
> drb
Oleg Chernavin 08/09/2004 04:54 am
There is no big difference where to post the question. No problem.

1. Offline Explorer doesn`t collect or send any information to us or to any other site. It includes the Internal Web server to emulate online environment when browsing downloaded Web sites. This helps to make offline browsing smoother for some Web sites.

When Offline Explorer starts it initializes the Web server. This is why ZoneAlarm shows you the message. This is absoluteley safe and you can restrict access to the server to your computer only in the Options dialog of Offline Explorer Pro.

Then after Offline Explorer ha started, it accesses its own Internal Web server to show the Welcome page. This is why you see the second alarm. However Offline Explorer doesn`t access any server outside your computer unless you start downloading some Web site.

When you load Web sites, Offline Explorer accesses only the sites you allow to be downloaded in your Projects. You can also control this using the Queue tab.

2. Do you mean downloading the page, so the Web form on it works offline? It is almost impossible. The only way is to record the form contents and download it - browse to the page in the Internal Browser of Offline Explorer Pro, enter the desired data to the form and hold down the Ctrl+Alt keys while submitting the form.

Offline Explorer will create a new Project for you.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff