Missing Project Tree

marccunn 07/20/2004 09:15 am
I have OE Pro 3.0. It has worked very well since I got it, and I have collected several hundred web sites on several different HDDs in my computer. The OS for my computer is W2000 Advanced Server. There is 4Gb RAM, 2.4GHz Intel CPU and 11 HDDs (one 160Gb primary HDD + ten 160Gb HDDs configured as 5 RAID 0 striped HDDs).

Yesterday I was updating twenty (20) sites simultaneously, in a collection of sites on my F:/ drive (one of the RAID 0 HDDs). I have done this many times before, without any problems whatsoever. An error message box suddenly popped up, saying that OE Pro had generated an unhandled exception. When I clicked "OK" to close the box, suddenly the box started to replicate itself, over and over. I hit the "Exit" button on OE Pro, but it did not work, and the error message boxes kept popping up. I had to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to shut down OE Pro with Task Manager.

When I restarted OE Pro again, the entire project tree in the left window pane was gone! The default folder, which I had named "Camera" was still there, but the more than sixty (60) sites in that folder were not displayed, whether I clicked the "+" or "-" next to the "OEProCamera" folder icon. I keep the directories folders for the downloaded sites on the F:/ drive itself, in a F:/OEProCameraDownload folder and a F:/OEProCameraProjects folder.

I checked the "Options" box, to see if my Download and Projects directories locations had somehow changed, but they were still shown in the proper locations. I checked the contents of those directories, to see if somehow the contents had been erased, but the directories seem to be intact.

To check OE Pro itself, I changed the settings for the Download and Project directories to another collection of downloaded sites I have on my G:/ drive (one of the RAID 0 HDDs). The default folder on that drive is named "Digital". The Download and Projects folders are also on that drive, as G:/OEProDigitalDownload and G:/OEProDigitalProjects. After closing OE Pro, I restarted it again, and sure enough, the project tree for "Digital" appeared, with all the downloaded "Digital" web sites displayed, and were working perfectly.

Thus, I think that OE Pro itself is still functioning properly (since it works fine with the directories folders on my G:/ drive), but there has somehow been a disruption in how OE Pro tries to link to the F:/OEProCameraDownload folder and the F:/OEProCameraProjects folder when it starts up.

How can I restore my project tree for my "Camera" folder on my F:/ drive, so I can access all my "Camera" sites?
marccunn 07/20/2004 01:43 pm
I restored the directory tree of downloaded sites!

When I had posted this earlier, I had already read the "Troubleshooting" FAQ in OE Pro, but I had not been able to restore the tree by following the instructions (copying the WebDown.bk* files to another directory, then re-naming the most recent one as "WebDown.dat" and re-copying it back into the Projects folder, eliminating the already-existing WebDown.dat file).

I had only tried the above method with all the WebDown.bk* files earlier, and it di not work. I just now tried the above method with the most recent Webdown.bw* file, renaming it to "WebDown.dat" and when I re-opened OE Pro, my entire directory tree of downloaded web sites was there, and they seem to be intact.

Since that WebDown.bw* file was two days old, I am now in the process of updating the downloaded sites, twenty at a time.

> I have OE Pro 3.0. It has worked very well since I got it, and I have collected several hundred web sites on several different HDDs in my computer. The OS for my computer is W2000 Advanced Server. There is 4Gb RAM, 2.4GHz Intel CPU and 11 HDDs (one 160Gb primary HDD + ten 160Gb HDDs configured as 5 RAID 0 striped HDDs).
>
> Yesterday I was updating twenty (20) sites simultaneously, in a collection of sites on my F:/ drive (one of the RAID 0 HDDs). I have done this many times before, without any problems whatsoever. An error message box suddenly popped up, saying that OE Pro had generated an unhandled exception. When I clicked "OK" to close the box, suddenly the box started to replicate itself, over and over. I hit the "Exit" button on OE Pro, but it did not work, and the error message boxes kept popping up. I had to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to shut down OE Pro with Task Manager.
>
> When I restarted OE Pro again, the entire project tree in the left window pane was gone! The default folder, which I had named "Camera" was still there, but the more than sixty (60) sites in that folder were not displayed, whether I clicked the "+" or "-" next to the "OEProCamera" folder icon. I keep the directories folders for the downloaded sites on the F:/ drive itself, in a F:/OEProCameraDownload folder and a F:/OEProCameraProjects folder.
>
> I checked the "Options" box, to see if my Download and Projects directories locations had somehow changed, but they were still shown in the proper locations. I checked the contents of those directories, to see if somehow the contents had been erased, but the directories seem to be intact.
>
> To check OE Pro itself, I changed the settings for the Download and Project directories to another collection of downloaded sites I have on my G:/ drive (one of the RAID 0 HDDs). The default folder on that drive is named "Digital". The Download and Projects folders are also on that drive, as G:/OEProDigitalDownload and G:/OEProDigitalProjects. After closing OE Pro, I restarted it again, and sure enough, the project tree for "Digital" appeared, with all the downloaded "Digital" web sites displayed, and were working perfectly.
>
> Thus, I think that OE Pro itself is still functioning properly (since it works fine with the directories folders on my G:/ drive), but there has somehow been a disruption in how OE Pro tries to link to the F:/OEProCameraDownload folder and the F:/OEProCameraProjects folder when it starts up.
>
> How can I restore my project tree for my "Camera" folder on my F:/ drive, so I can access all my "Camera" sites?
Oleg Chernavin 07/21/2004 05:19 am
Yes, Offline Explorer makes several backups of the files. I am glad that you was able to recover this with minimal loss.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff