Problem with Internal HTTP Server blocking internet connection

Author Message
Defenestration 06/19/2004 11:41 am
Oleg,

I`m using OE 3.2.1734 SR1 with a dial-up connection and am experiencing problems. If I try to browse a project while it is still downloading, then my whole internet connection stops. Any app that can connect to the internet stops working with the internet. eg. I cannot use Outlook to retrieve my mail, Internet Explorer to browse the web or OE to download web pages.

The only way I can get it to work again is by switching off the machine. Windows cannot terminate the OE process

It seems like OE somehow trashes the connection, blocking all future accesses until a reboot.


Possibly related to the above problem - When I click on some links in the partially downloaded project, OE does not always show the "The page cannot be displayed" page, and instead shows a blank (ie. just white) page. After this the connection also goes dead.

The websites I was downloading were www.monkeysaudio.com and www.metaproducts.com using the pre-defined template "Download only pages, images and scripts from the site"

Please tell what information you need to fix this.


Update: It seems like a problem with the internal HTTP server since when I disable it, I don`t have any trouble viewing the sites, and my connection is not blocked.
Oleg Chernavin 06/21/2004 06:52 am
Can you tell me, what happens if you don`t download anything with Offline Explorer and still trying to use its internal server to browse sites offline? Does this hurt the connection? Or it happens only if you download sites and browse offline?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Defenestration 06/21/2004 04:51 pm
> Can you tell me, what happens if you don`t download anything with Offline Explorer
> and still trying to use its internal server to browse sites offline?

It still hangs even if OE is not downloading anything. It just looks to be a problem with the HTTP server. When I`m offline, and try browsing using the internal HTTP server, then when it hangs, if I try to go on-line afterwards the internet connection is blocked.

I cannot use the internal HTTP server to browse sites offline at all. It seems that for the first few attempts when I click on a link, OE shows "Opening page ..." in the status bar for a bit before displaying the "The page cannot be displayed" page, even though the page does exist. If you keep trying links, OE will "hang". However I noticed that "Opening page ..." was not displayed in the status bar.

If it helps, Outlook Express tells me there is a Socket Error: 11004, Error Number 0x800CCC0D, when I try to retrieve my e-mail

I don`t have any problems if I disable the HTTP server.
Rossco 06/30/2004 09:17 pm
> It still hangs even if OE is not downloading anything. It just looks to be a problem with the HTTP server. When I`m offline, and try browsing using the internal HTTP server, then when it hangs, if I try to go on-line afterwards the internet connection is blocked.
>
> I cannot use the internal HTTP server to browse sites offline at all.
>
> I don`t have any problems if I disable the HTTP server.
Hi,
Are you running Zonealarm Pro version 5.xxx?

I have had simialr problems with OE causing issues and I have narrowed it down (so far anyhow) to a possible issue with the latest incarnation of Zonealarm Pro. Under version 4.5, OE works fine with the internal HTTP server, no problems at all.

But with Zonealarm Pro 5.xxx installed, it hangs big time, and the only thing to do is manually switch off or reset the PC as killing the process does not work. I can however use OE if I switch off the inernal HTTP server with Zonealarm Pro 5.xxx installed.

Must admit, it was a mission and a darned pain trying to get this far with it, but the good news is disabling the Internal HTTP server works, however that is a bit disspointing removing features because of a software conflict.

Seems like the problem may be on the Zonealarm Pro side however I get the impression they are not really that interested :-( in resolving it, so hopefully Oleg will be able to narrow it down further;-).
Cheers
Rossco
Defenestration 07/01/2004 05:01 pm
Thanks for the input Rossco. I had a sneaking suspicion it might be ZoneAlarm. I was running ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.15 (the free version) when I had the problems. Previously I was running 4.5 (or 4.<something>) and I don`t remember any problems, as you mentioned. I would like to keep using ZoneAlarm because I think it is a very effective firewall. I am currently using the trial version of Panda Platinum Internet Security, and while it works, it does not seem to be logging as many attacks on my PC. This makes me think that ZoneAlarm is better at detecting attacks.

If I can`t get ZoneAlarm to work, then I am thinking of upgrading my AV/Firewall software to F-Secure Internet Security OR Kaspersky AV Personal 5 coupled with either Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5/ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6.

A new version of ZoneAlarm (5.0.590.43) has recently been released, and judging by the version number, it looks like a bug fix update. Given this, I`ll try the new version to see if that solves the problem with OE`s internal HTTP server, and let you know the results.

Oleg, Do you check OE for conflicts with Firewall software ? If so, do you know if the OE internal HTTP server conflicts with either Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5 or ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 firewalls ?
Rossco 07/01/2004 06:21 pm
Hi Defenestration,


> If I can`t get ZoneAlarm to work, then I am thinking of upgrading my AV/Firewall software to F-Secure Internet Security OR Kaspersky AV Personal 5 coupled with either Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5/ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6.

IMO, Zonealarm is the best by far, small footprint, reliable and for the most part stable (except of course with OE :-\)

> A new version of ZoneAlarm (5.0.590.43) has recently been released, and judging by the version number, it looks like a bug fix update. Given this, I`ll try the new version to see if that solves the problem with OE`s internal HTTP server, and let you know the results.

Yep, I thought that would fix it too, but not so (darn it!), but what I did notice is that when Zonealarm pops up a message to say that OE is trying to act as a server, it pops up with the IP of 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1, so that may have something to do with it, although I have tried to reconfigure ZA to work with it but still no joy. Since this has only started happening with the new release of ZA, I beleive that the ball is firmly in thier court...but fingers crossed,Oleg may come up with something.
For the time being, I have disabled the internal server option in OE, BTW, OE seems to work really fast with this disabled :-)

> Oleg, Do you check OE for conflicts with Firewall software ? If so, do you know if the OE internal HTTP server conflicts with either Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5 or ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 firewalls ?

Cheers
Rossco
Defenestration 07/01/2004 06:37 pm
> Hi Defenestration,
>
>
> > If I can`t get ZoneAlarm to work, then I am thinking of upgrading my AV/Firewall software to F-Secure Internet Security OR Kaspersky AV Personal 5 coupled with either Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5/ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6.
>
> IMO, Zonealarm is the best by far, small footprint, reliable and for the most part stable (except of course with OE :-\)
>
> > A new version of ZoneAlarm (5.0.590.43) has recently been released, and judging by the version number, it looks like a bug fix update. Given this, I`ll try the new version to see if that solves the problem with OE`s internal HTTP server, and let you know the results.
>
> Yep, I thought that would fix it too, but not so (darn it!), but what I did notice is that when Zonealarm pops up a message to say that OE is trying to act as a server, it pops up with the IP of 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1, so that may have something to do with it, although I have tried to reconfigure ZA to work with it but still no joy. Since this has only started happening with the new release of ZA, I beleive that the ball is firmly in thier court...but fingers crossed,Oleg may come up with something.
> For the time being, I have disabled the internal server option in OE, BTW, OE seems to work really fast with this disabled :-)
>
> > Oleg, Do you check OE for conflicts with Firewall software ? If so, do you know if the OE internal HTTP server conflicts with either Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5 or ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 firewalls ?
>
> Cheers
> Rossco

No luck with this new version:o( Tried configuring the options to try to get it to work, but to no avail.


I filled in the on-line survey you get when you uninstall ZoneAlarm, so hopefully they might read that and fix the problem. Then again.....

> IMO, Zonealarm is the best by far, small footprint, reliable and for the most part stable (except
>of course with OE :-\)

I do like ZoneAlarm, although in a recent magazine test of several firewalls, the ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 firewall came out top.

> For the time being, I have disabled the internal server option in OE, BTW, OE seems to work
>really fast with this disabled :-)

I noticed this too, the internal server is *a lot* slower compared to the generic windows HTTP server.
Rossco 07/01/2004 08:24 pm
> I filled in the on-line survey you get when you uninstall ZoneAlarm, so hopefully they might read that and fix the problem. Then again.....

Not wanting to pre judge, but fomr my efforts in the past, they ahve not even acknowledged..however, things can adn do sometimes change..good luck :-
> I do like ZoneAlarm, although in a recent magazine test of several firewalls, the ISS BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 firewall came out top.

WOW, OK, that must knock ZA fare and square in between the eyes ;-), as they have been on top for ages! (in the New Zealand reviews at least)

> I noticed this too, the internal server is *a lot* slower compared to the generic windows HTTP server.

Yep, I sure hope we can get a fix, as I hate buying software only to have some features disabled because of a bug (although I do not beleive it is OE at fault, IMO), even if I don`t use that feature, I still want it to work if I ever decide to!
I will keep watching these posts and see if Oleg can come up with something. Please keep me posted on your success or not with ZA

Cheers
Rossco
Oleg Chernavin 07/02/2004 09:33 am
From what I know, the only way to make ZA and OE working together is to disable the internal HTTP server in the Options dialog. Or to revert to the previous ZA version. One of the users said that ZoneAlarm forum is filled by many messages from people who complain on compatibility problems. Not only OE suffers here, but many other software.

The reason why address 0.0.0.0 is being used is simple. If the server should be visible for other computers, it should be bind to that address. Otherwise, if your IP address changes, the server will be invisible. Binding it to 127.0.0.1 will make the server accessible only from the local computer.

There many people who setup Offline Explorer on a server computer and do downloads, while other computers can browse downloaded Web sites with the help of the Internal server. This is why it is made on 0.0.0.0 address.

I will try to write to ZA support to request a fix.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 07/02/2004 10:02 am
Just used there "support chat", which is actually an automated system and it output me the following:

===============================
So far, you`ve told me that:
You want help with system issues.
After upgrading to a new version, your system hangs.


Zone Labs Some users (mostly using Windows 2000, but also a few using Windows NT or XP) have reported problems such as those listed above with some 3.7x versions. Zone Labs` engineers are investigating, and we expect to have this resolved in a new release (no set date, but this will be announced via our web site, through the Check For Updates function, and also in the Zone Labs User Forum at www.zonelabs.com/community/). Users who experience this issue should uninstall the 3.7 version (which may need to be done in Safe Mode), and reinstall the previous version. Previous versions can be downloaded from the links below:
===============================

So, they are still fixing that! :-)

If someone knows any working ZA support E-mail, please let me know.

Oleg.
Defenestration 07/02/2004 01:26 pm
Thought I`d try ZoneAlarm 4.5.538.0 again, and hey presto... it works with OE`s internal server.

However, even with that version of ZoneAlarm I`ve had problems getting my e-mail using Outlook Express.

Haven`t even received an acknowledgement to my survey:o(

Maybe Black Ice or Kaspersky Anti-Hacker is the way to go then.

Oleg, any reported problems with these firewalls and OE`s internal server ?
Rossco 07/02/2004 06:43 pm
Hi Oleg,
thanks for all your info, much appreciated and I actually don`t need the server option for now, but ZA stil should take notice!

The issue was you found below, was fixed in version 4.5 but now version 5 of ZA has got the problem back...

Either way, I wil stick with ZA and have OE HTTP server disabled (actually runs heaps faster without the HTTP server)
Cheers and thanks again
kind regards
Rossco

> Just used there "support chat", which is actually an automated system and it output me the following:
>
> ===============================
> So far, you`ve told me that:
> You want help with system issues.
> After upgrading to a new version, your system hangs.
>
>
> Zone Labs Some users (mostly using Windows 2000, but also a few using Windows NT or XP) have reported problems such as those listed above with some 3.7x versions. Zone Labs` engineers are investigating, and we expect to have this resolved in a new release (no set date, but this will be announced via our web site, through the Check For Updates function, and also in the Zone Labs User Forum at www.zonelabs.com/community/). Users who experience this issue should uninstall the 3.7 version (which may need to be done in Safe Mode), and reinstall the previous version. Previous versions can be downloaded from the links below:
> ===============================
>
> So, they are still fixing that! :-)
>
> If someone knows any working ZA support E-mail, please let me know.
>
> Oleg.
>
Oleg Chernavin 07/04/2004 04:28 pm
> Maybe Black Ice or Kaspersky Anti-Hacker is the way to go then.
>
> Oleg, any reported problems with these firewalls and OE`s internal server ?

No, I haven`t got any reports on them yet.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 07/29/2004 10:16 am
Hello,

I just have heard that ZoneAlarm has released 5.1 beta:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/zapSetup_5.1.009_beta.exe

Can anyone test it to see if that problem has been fixed or not?

Thank you!

Oleg.
Defenestration 08/03/2004 03:34 pm
Oleg,

Just tried the new ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 (http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1012_zl/zlsSetup_51_011.exe) and it look like the problems have been fixed. However, this is only an intial assessment after it`s been installed. I`ll let you if I experience any further problems. Because of the problems with ZoneAlarm I`ve moved to using the Look `n` Stop firewall now (www.looknstop.com/en) - It`s extremely light on resources (by a long way, compared to other SW firewalls), good at it`s job, VERY configurable, and most important of all, it works with OE:o) I`m still not sure which is the most effective firewall though, since different magazines/reviews seem to rate them in a different way ???!!! Surely a good firewall/IDS is a good firewall/IDS, independent of the reviewer! Anyway, this post has gone a little bit off topic, but the info might be useful to someone out there!

BTW, what`s happened to the User Forum`s ? It appears you`ve had a clearout of the old messages. Good job I had downloaded the previous forums using OE. Some of the previous info (even though quite old) is very useful when I come up against problems.

PS. I`m also using the Proxomitronm local proxy server, for anyone who`s interested!

PPS. FYI, the menu bar across the top of the forums (ie. "NEWS COMPANY PRODUCTS ....") is displayed in a bigger font than before causing it to spill over into two lines.

PPPS. I like the fact you can be informed by e-mail about a reply to new messages in the topic.
Oleg Chernavin 08/04/2004 02:17 am
Good that the new version works! Thank you!

But how one firewall can be better than another? I think, they are all equal - what can be added to the simple connections blocking system?

No messages were removed from the forum. We simply decided to show the number of discussions, not messages on the first page.

I just checked the menu bar and it looks like it is the same on all pages and like it was before. Very strange! Can you send me a screenshot?

Oleg.
Defenestration 08/04/2004 06:39 pm
> > No messages were removed from the forum. We simply decided to show the number of
> > discussions, not messages on the first page.

Ah, that would explain it.

> > I just checked the menu bar and it looks like it is the same on all pages and like it was before.
> > Very strange! Can you send me a screenshot?

No problem - I realized it was one of the Proxomitron filters that was causing a larger font size to be used for the menu bar.
Oleg Chernavin 08/05/2004 01:30 am
Phew... :-) I was scared that we have ruined our site. :-)

Oleg.
Defenestration 08/05/2004 12:58 pm
Noticed what I think might be another "problem" with the website though (which isn`t to do with Proxomitron this time). The "Last Update" dates on the main User Forums page do not correspond with the latest "Last message date" date in specific forums. I often use this main page to see if any new messages have been posted in different forums, without actually loading specific forums.

Is this a problem ?
Oleg Chernavin 08/06/2004 01:04 am
Thank you! We will try to fix it today.

Oleg.
Marco 10/09/2007 12:03 am
My internet explorer also stops working after I close Offline Explorer Pro. I also need to reboot my computer for it to work again. I have windows XP and my antivirus is Shield Deluxe (in case that info is relevant)

Marco


> Oleg,
>
> I`m using OE 3.2.1734 SR1 with a dial-up connection and am experiencing problems. If I try to browse a project while it is still downloading, then my whole internet connection stops. Any app that can connect to the internet stops working with the internet. eg. I cannot use Outlook to retrieve my mail, Internet Explorer to browse the web or OE to download web pages.
>
> The only way I can get it to work again is by switching off the machine. Windows cannot terminate the OE process
>
> It seems like OE somehow trashes the connection, blocking all future accesses until a reboot.
>
>
> Possibly related to the above problem - When I click on some links in the partially downloaded project, OE does not always show the "The page cannot be displayed" page, and instead shows a blank (ie. just white) page. After this the connection also goes dead.
>
> The websites I was downloading were www.monkeysaudio.com and www.metaproducts.com using the pre-defined template "Download only pages, images and scripts from the site"
>
> Please tell what information you need to fix this.
>
>
> Update: It seems like a problem with the internal HTTP server since when I disable it, I don`t have any trouble viewing the sites, and my connection is not blocked.
Oleg Chernavin 10/09/2007 07:15 am
Is it the same with the latest 4.8 SR1 version?

Oleg.