asx file

jenny 06/11/2004 04:43 am
i have downloaded a live show which has a link ended as asx. My computer cannot recognize the file, but it can be played by media player.
However, i can`t edit the file as other softwares cannot recognize it as a media file. I want to ask, what type of file is it???????Besides, how can i change it to a wmv file or other file types which can be recognized by other edidting software?
Oleg Chernavin 06/11/2004 04:45 am
In fact, ASX files are just text files with links to real streaming files (ASF or WMV). So, you should look in the downloaded Project Map to find the .wmv or .asf file and try to edit that file.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
jenny 06/11/2004 05:58 am
I found there are two files in the mms@ file. One is a` wd3` file and the other one is not recognized. When i open the later one with wmp, it is the video i download. But, it can`t be recognized by other software, however, i want to edit the video as well.what can i do????thanks!
Oleg Chernavin 06/11/2004 06:12 am
Can you tell me the exact name of the second file?

Oleg.
jenny 06/11/2004 06:25 am
raisporthigh(the name of the video i want to download actually ) and then nothing in the end(i mean the file type part).
the mms@ file was created automatically.
besides, i have just found that, in the file `Streaming` there are teo files too. one is a descr.wd3, the other one is raisport.asx.And when i open the later one with WMP, it is the same video as the `raisporthigh` one.
jenny 06/11/2004 06:27 am
Besides, although the files are the same video, their file size is greatly different, the one in mms@ file is >4ooMB, while the one in streaming file is only 256kb
Oleg Chernavin 06/11/2004 06:38 am
Most probably the second file has only links to the actual video file. WMP takes the redirector file, gets actual file link and plays it.

To edit the actual video file, go to the mms@.. folder, Shift-right-click the file and rename it adding the correct extension.

Oleg.
jenny 06/11/2004 07:00 am
but the editing program said there is no content in the file.....
Oleg Chernavin 06/11/2004 07:06 am
Well, I don`t know. Perhaps it is an issue in the editing program, if WMP plays the file correctly.

Oleg.
jenny 06/11/2004 07:13 am
ok thx then.having wasted you a lot of time~
Oleg Chernavin 06/11/2004 07:19 am
No problem. I was glad to help you.

Oleg.