Directories ending in " " or "." do not download

Coriolis 04/30/2004 01:59 pm
When downloading files from Yahoo I find directories that end with "%20" (that`s percent-20, if it doesn`t show up correctly) or "." (a period). When OE creates directories with these names, Windows automatically strips the trailing spaces or periods (or tabs or a few other characters) from the directory name before creation. The directory is created but does not have the exact name requested. Leading spaces and periods are unaffected.

OE won`t save files into these directories since they don`t have the expected name. For example you can create a directory "dir " successfully, as "dir", but the file reference for it is "dir/file", not "dir /file". In this situation OE downloads the files but does not save them anywhere. The download log shows success.

I have gotten around this issue by using URL Substitutes to strip these trailing characters from the downloaded filenames. It`s kind of a pain, but it works.
Oleg Chernavin 05/03/2004 03:29 pm
Thank you for letting me know. Can you tell me an example of such site with these pages? I will do my best to make a workaround shortly.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
RaviN 05/07/2004 11:22 am
Hi `am trying to download with Offline explorer pro, the current version. I could see a message Transferring, but nothing happens.

Looks like there is a problem transfering the URL(Look at the space at 714)
Please can you give me a suggestion?

rtsp://realserver.musicindiaonline.com/RayoH7IVPNk3FfDhMzLq2mOe8/ra/film/tam/Moviewise/P/Peralagan/714 - 01.rm?cloakport=80,554,7070

Thanks in advance
RaviN
Oleg Chernavin 05/07/2004 04:27 pm
No, it should be not because of the space symbols. First, please try this URL:

rtsp://realserver.musicindiaonline.com/RayoH7IVPNk3FfDhMzLq2mOe8/ra/film/tam/Moviewise/P/Peralagan/714 - 01.rm

If this doesn`t work as well, please open the Log Window (Ctrl-W) in Offline Explorer Pro, right-click somewhere inside it and uncheck Pause. Now start loading the file and see where it stops in the log. Please save the log to a file and send it to me to support@metaproducts.com to review.

The problem could be because of the server or a proxy (if you are using it). I was able to load the file flawlessly.

Oleg.