Maintain link to unnamed file

Karen 04/26/2004 11:21 am
Hello,

I am a brand new user of OE Pro, but have used other offline browsers. I must say, I was impressed with how quickly OE Pro downloaded my first test website.

Now, for my problem… I noticed on the homepage of the site I was downloading that there were links to files which were originally coded with a root reference to a directory, but no file name was included, i.e. <a href="/build"> and <a href="/subscribe">.

OE Pro downloaded the files and named them “default.htm” and put each file into the appropriately named directory. So far so good. What OE Pro did not do was change the coding to include a reference to the file, i.e. the coding was changed to <a href="build"> and <a href="subscribe">. So, when I click on these files in the downloaded version using Netscape or IE, instead of displaying the file, the directory displays with two files “default.htm” and Descr.WD3. In both cases, I can double click on the file “default.htm” in order to see the file.

Is there an option that can be selected that will add a reference to the file, i.e. <a href="build/default.htm">?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Oleg Chernavin 04/26/2004 03:08 pm
Thank you for your kind words!

These links should work fine when you browse them inside Offline Explorer. To browse such links outside, you can export the Project (using the File | Export in the main menu). This should correct all such links.

Does this help?

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Karen 04/28/2004 03:10 pm
Oleg,

You were absolutely right, exporting the project worked like a charm. Thanks!

For future reference, could you please let me know when I need to export a project? All the time? some of the time? i.e. under what conditions?

Thanks for your help,

--Karen
Oleg Chernavin 04/30/2004 03:10 pm
Well, I would say - when you have problems browsing the site offline outside Offline Explorer.

The main purpose of the Export is to move downloaded sites to another location or storage, like CD to share with others.

Oleg.
Karen 05/07/2004 02:26 pm
It would appear that some of the problem has been solved, but not all.
There are some references that have nothing specified, i.e. a href="". In these cases the browser opens up the index file in the same directory.
However, not so in the archived and the exported versions, instead the directory displays instead of the index file which OE has copied and named default.htm

A concrete example may help:
http://dominionpaper.ca/weblog/
at the bottom of each entry it says
posted by anthony_feton ...

The link to <anthony_feton> does not work, instead the link leads to a directory listing.

And, this does not show up as an error when I run a LinkBot, so I found that this problem is there by chance.

Is it possible for OE options to be set for this situation or is the only solution for me to add default.htm to the coding?

--Karen

> Oleg,
>
> You were absolutely right, exporting the project worked like a charm. Thanks!
>
> For future reference, could you please let me know when I need to export a project? All the time? some of the time? i.e. under what conditions?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> --Karen
Oleg Chernavin 05/07/2004 04:23 pm
Thank you! I just fixed this as well. If you need the update right now, please let me know.

Oleg.
Karen 05/13/2004 02:25 pm
Oleg,
The update info you sent on May 10 (regarding the mailto: problem), I`m just checking, does it contain the fix for this problem?

If so, that would be two birds with one stone, or two fixes with one easy download. :)

--Karen

> Thank you! I just fixed this as well. If you need the update right now, please let me know.
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 05/14/2004 05:34 am
Yes, it includes all recent fixes, including the mailto: one.

Oleg.
Karen 05/19/2004 04:28 pm
Oleg,

The new version was downloaded and tested today.

Bad news, 3 out of 4 times it crashed while I was trying to export the files.
For some reason, OE Pro doesn`t like to export.

--Karen

> Yes, it includes all recent fixes, including the mailto: one.
> > Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 05/20/2004 03:31 am
I just tested Export on some Projects and found no problems. Does it happen every time on every Project you are exporting, even on small ones?

Oleg.
Karen 06/04/2004 09:05 am
Hello Oleg,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I have used OE on two projects recently and only one of the two projects required me to export the project. The project that was causing the problem with OE crashing was:
http://dominionpaper.ca/.

I will be away from the office today, so I will try to mirror and export the site next week.

Thanks!

--Karen

> I just tested Export on some Projects and found no problems. Does it happen every time on every Project you are exporting, even on small ones?
> > Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 06/04/2004 09:50 am
Will you be able to make a backup of that Project (Tools | Backup in the main menu). If yes, please let me know its size. If it is not big, I would ask you to send it to me by E-mail. This will help me to reproduce the problem and to fix it shortly.

Thank you!

Oleg.