Zero-byte files in temp directory

Coriolis 04/06/2004 12:18 pm
I am downloading various sites from deviantart.com. There is no problem with the download but Offline Explorer Pro 3.1.1550 is leaving several (12,000) zero-byte files in the Windows temporary directory. The filenames are of the form "httABCD.tmp", where ABCD is an incrementing hexadecimal number.

Some sites download normally, without creating these files. Others download leaving these empty files left behind.

I believe the problem is new since I upgraded to 1550, but I may have just noticed it. The files at least are all dated since the upgrade.

Is there something I should check?
Oleg Chernavin 04/07/2004 05:27 am
Well, this could be caused by previous versions as well, because Offline Explorer cleans such files if they are older than few days. It may happen because of a system crash if you had any or an improper exit from Offline Explorer.

If this doesn`t apply to your case, can you find some small site (100-200 files), downloading which you find these temp files kept even after exiting Offline Explorer? If so, I will do my best to reproduce and fix the problem.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Coriolis 04/07/2004 10:02 am
You`re right, it does appear that the older version of OE does the same thing. I checked my backup logs and see the files there as well.

You`re also right that OE deletes the files when you exit -- but I don`t exit OE, I leave it running 24/7 doing scheduled downloads, so these files build up. Perhaps this is the reason OE gradually consumes resources until the machine panics. With 1.5G of memory and a *lot* of sites downloaded, OE lasts a couple of weeks before I need to stop and restart it, so I haven`t considered this much of an issue.

A site that causes this behavior is "http://aimeekitty.deviantart.com/". Use a level of zero so it just fetches the first page. Each download leaves two files open on my machine.

Also I have to say that OE is GREAT! Obviously I use it a lot!
Oleg Chernavin 04/08/2004 09:57 am
Thank you for your kind words!

I made some changes in the code that should prevent Offline Explorer from accumulating these temporary files. However I cannot upload the updated version right now, because I am on a slow GRPS connection while travelling.

I will be absent for 1.5 weeks. If this an urgent thing for you, please let me know.

Oleg.
Coriolis 04/08/2004 11:10 pm
No urgency whatsoever. Now that I know what`s causing them, I created a scheduled task that periodically deletes the empty files.

Thanks!
Oleg Chernavin 04/09/2004 02:10 am
OK. Good.

Thank you for pointing us to the issue.

Oleg.