Huge RAM usage

QuantumShadow 03/03/2004 04:45 am
Hi, i have a huge RAM usage by OE ~300MB, OE was running for a full day on a certain site, and now has only about 1,000 in download queue and 10,000 in parsing queue. what is taking so much RAM (actually it is even more but the rest goes to virtual memory file on the HD)?
QuantumShadow.

P.S. This problem can be reproduced on all sites i am trying to get.
Oleg Chernavin 03/04/2004 07:21 am
Can you try to minimize OE and then restore? Somehow Windows reallocates RAM after this trick and it shows less used RAM. Does this help?

Oleg.
QuantumShadow 03/04/2004 09:51 am
Yes i tried it, i even when father and in order to solve this problem tried 3rd party memory organization programs like CachemanXP from outertech, it helped a bit (around 5-10%) but not more.
Do u mean that this happens only on my system? When u try to download a big site (more than one day), don`t u have a problem with OE taking up all the RAM, and being very heavy - freezing periodically for 5-30 secs, stacking, etc...?

> Can you try to minimize OE and then restore? Somehow Windows reallocates RAM after this trick and it shows less used RAM. Does this help?
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 03/04/2004 10:17 am
Most possible that the memory is being occupied by the Project Map - a list of all downloaded files of the Project. To check this, can you run Offline Explorer Pro the following way:

oe.exe /NoMap

Please let me know how it uses memory this way. I would also suggest to try

oe.exe /NoDB

parameter independently.

Thank you!

Oleg.
QuantumShadow 03/04/2004 06:54 pm
Thanks Oleg,
u r right the /noMap flag solved the problem, i forgot about it completly.
Why don`t u add it to the GUI?
also what is the difference between the two: NoMap and NoDB?
QuantumShadow.

> Most possible that the memory is being occupied by the Project Map - a list of all downloaded files of the Project. To check this, can you run Offline Explorer Pro the following way:
>
> oe.exe /NoMap
>
> Please let me know how it uses memory this way. I would also suggest to try
>
> oe.exe /NoDB
>
> parameter independently.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 03/05/2004 09:53 am
> Thanks Oleg,
> u r right the /noMap flag solved the problem, i forgot about it completly.
> Why don`t u add it to the GUI?

Turning off a Map has its bad side - without a map you cannot remove a Project correctly, export it, backup, etc. Because OE would not know which files belong to the Project.

> also what is the difference between the two: NoMap and NoDB?

NoMap disables using a Map and adding new files there.
NoDB disallows using database which relates saved filenames and real online URLs. When a URL is too long (over 100 symbols), it is being truncated to 100 chars to make a filename and it is being added to the database (URL2s.* files). When OE parses a saved HTML page and finds truncated link, it can always get the original online URL if it needs to be redownloaded.

Oleg.