I have been using OE Pro for years, very successfully.
I am now having problems, OE Pro fails after a few minutes running.
There are no error messages or log entries.
My system is:
Win2K Pro, SP4 with latest patches but not .net framework
Norton AV Enterprise, Black Ice firewall, Pest Patrol, all with current updates.
I have run a full scan with Norton and Pest Patrol, no problems
I have reinstalled Win2K SP4, deinstalled OE Pro, removed all directories & reinstalled, same problem.
I have upgraded OE Pro to latest version, same problem.
No changes have been made to the PC appart from the above regular updates.
Do you have any suggestions please
Replace the old oe.exe file with the new one.
Does this help?
I am affraid not
OE ran for 8 minutes then crashed. Got this message from windows
"OE.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program"
Yes, about 100G free
Its an AMD 2000+ system with 1G of RAM
I have upgraded to V3 - same results :-(
But, I have now had time for some serious experiments.
My system is a server running Win2K on a 600G RAID5 array, some 500G of which is the main data volume. This is where OE normally points for its download area. I have a cache volume where I point all the caches and temp files, this minimises fragmentation on the rest of the array, this is where the OE project folder lives. Plus system volumes and a spare volume of 10G - just in case :-)
The data volume now has some 420G of data on it out of the 500G capacity
All volumes are defragmented automatically by diskeeper.
OE in various versions has been running on this server for the last 2 + years.
If I point OE download at the spare volume it works perfectly, moving the project folder has no effect.
If I point it at the data volume it fails within 10 minutes, usually much quicker.
If I run OE on a workstation and point the download across the network at the shared data volume root it works perfectly.
I installed a clean copy of Win2K on the spare volume. Added SP4 + NIC drivers + video driver + OE V3 and nothing else. OE behaved exactly the same. I tried this with Pro and AS versions.
So, it looks like OE has an aversion to large disk volumes with lots of data on them ?
Any ideas please, appart from repartitioning the server :-)
Do you mean that when the Download Directory points to the large data volume, it fails. Or it fails when its Projects, Maps, templates directory is on the Data volume?
I havn`t tried just moving the projects directory to the data volume, but with the download directory on the data volume or with both directories on the data volume it fails.
have you look up the pages in Explorer or Navigator as source-text?
Some page are safty by manipulate the URL and by this doing OE can break down. :-(((
> I havn`t tried just moving the projects directory to the data volume, but with the download directory on the data volume or with both directories on the data volume it fails.
Thank you! I will review the code carefully. I hope to have some results in a week.
No, thats not the problem, thanks.
I have found that lots of sites will translate their urls, you just have to start from OE`s brouser, get into the site then run the project starting somewhere deep inside and OE usually figures it all out.
Its something I do with my sites, but for practical reasons, not to inconvenience anyone.
I have never had a bad link crash OE though, confuse it yes, crash it no.
There is a good point about not using IE etc. at the same time as OE though. It does seem to be possible to detect this and refuse the second session.
Some more information for you
I have been experimenting again :-)
I had Task Manager running the whole time to check for memory leaks, there wern`t any and most of the time memory usage was so small as not to be noticable.
If I set max download file size to less than 1M, OE runs ok
If I set it to less than 2M, OE fails after five or six downloaded files
If I set it to unlimited, OE fails part way through the first big file.
I have rechecked cache space and fragmentation of all disks - ok
hope this helps a bit.
Can I ask you for more details? Can you please write me to firstname.lastname@example.org and send me your Project settings? I want to see what kind of files do you load to try to reproduce that behaviour.
I have the same problem. My OE ist crashing one or two times a day; it seems that the error appears when exporting big sites (I make about 50 site-downloads every day).
When i tried to export it to a fast RAID5-Array, it crashed nearly every time. So I used again my old, normal, slow harddisk - now it works (in the most cases).
Maybe OE has problems with exporting to **fast** disks?
It worked perfect for a while, but suddenly the program turned worthless. I tried every possible adjustment in the options, but nothing changed. Then I went into the directory of OEE. It contained all combined 1.4 gb files. Most of it was que-files and so forth. I deleted everything exept for the webdown and templatefiles. Now the program works as a dream, and has done so for about 2 hours....
These files appear when there are too many files in the queue. OE holds no more than 2000 URLs in memory. The rest are being saved to the temporary files and each file contains 1000 URLs. So, if you have 100,000 files in the Queue, there are 98 files in the directory.
PS!! The program ran as a dream for a while, then started to crash again. I repeated the process above, and it works again flawless...
Here is the updated version:
Because of the problems I had, I restructured my database and changed to Mass Downloader, not so convenient but it worked.
I have now recreated the original database, more or less, and tested the new version of OEP.
So far it has worked ok