Enhancement Request - Import Facility

Daniel 11/18/2003 04:35 pm
Just a thought for a future enhancement. I know that there is a way to save our extraction properties and options. I wish there was a way to important these setting back in when we need to refresh rather then re-keying it from start each time or the ability to share our script with other users of OE pro,
Steve Sieloff 11/18/2003 05:23 pm
Oleg -

Is there an easy way to take the Cut of a roject (that can be pasted into Notepad) back inot OE Pro easily?

I, for one, would like to set up eacj of my projects in the Notepad .txt format so I could write an automated process that would "edit" a portion of the .txt information, save it, and upload it back into OE Pro for redownload.

I spend a fair amount of time "revisitng" sites to recompile content and the only thing that changes is the max number of pages or items being retrievel. My URL uses the macro like {:1..99} but this needs to be updated when there are, say, 105 or 85 pages instead of the initial 99. Hard coding a large, artifical maximu like 999 would work but results in many unnecessary page fetch requests for nonexistant pages!

I would write a separate program to query and parse the max number of pages/items of a web site/URL, store that into the appropriate macro position for the related OE project .txt file that was cut and paste, and then import the modified .txt project data back into OEP for downloading/processing -- I am trying to avoid doing any of this manually (which is how it is accomplished currently).

Any help/ideas here would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
> Just a thought for a future enhancement. I know that there is a way to save our extraction properties and options. I wish there was a way to important these setting back in when we need to refresh rather then re-keying it from start each time or the ability to share our script with other users of OE pro,
Oleg Chernavin 11/19/2003 04:48 am
Steve,

Maybe you should do it with webdown.dat file directly - it is a pure text file as well.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 11/19/2003 04:50 am
Regarding sharing Project settings with others - you can easily select the desired Project, click Copy button on toolbar and paste it to Notepad. Save it to a text file and send to your friends, etc.

On another computer open the text file in Notepad, select whole text, copy it to clipboard and then click Paste button in Offline Explorer.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Steve Sieloff 11/19/2003 10:01 am
Oleg --

Any ideas on how to automate the cut-n-paste process between different OE Pro instances? Is there a way to execute OE via command line with a parameter pointing to the webdown.dat file and giving a series of numbers representing the desired projects to download? -- it appears to me that each project is identified by an [Object] tag -- by providing the file name and a number (like 12) we could tell OE to load the project webdown and start downloading the 12th project (the project following the 12th [Object] tag).

Let me know your ideas/thoughts ... thanks!

Steve

> Regarding sharing Project settings with others - you can easily select the desired Project, click Copy button on toolbar and paste it to Notepad. Save it to a text file and send to your friends, etc.
>
> On another computer open the text file in Notepad, select whole text, copy it to clipboard and then click Paste button in Offline Explorer.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MP Staff
Steve Sieloff 11/19/2003 10:54 am
Oleg -

Another idea/question -- can multiple instance of OE Pro run on a single machine if they are loaded into separate folders under Program Files (like Offline Explore Pro and Offline Explorer Pro2 for example).

Can a single webdown.dat file in a "common" network folder be shared across multiple OE Pros on separate machines on a network?

I am part of a team of programmers that work with OE Pro and we need to easily share and update projects -- we find new sites to download but mostly we "revisit" exisiting projects after updating the embedded URL macros to reflect the total number of pages to be fetched. I am struggling with how best to share our projects without having to copy/paste/email/edit/copy/paste from 1 remote machine to another.

We are also struggling with only being able to execute a single instance of OE Pro per machine and would welcome suggestions on how to gain more download productivity per machine -- we have already licensed several copies of OE Pro and would license more if it makes sense.

Thanks

Steve

> Oleg --
>
> Any ideas on how to automate the cut-n-paste process between different OE Pro instances? Is there a way to execute OE via command line with a parameter pointing to the webdown.dat file and giving a series of numbers representing the desired projects to download? -- it appears to me that each project is identified by an [Object] tag -- by providing the file name and a number (like 12) we could tell OE to load the project webdown and start downloading the 12th project (the project following the 12th [Object] tag).
>
> Let me know your ideas/thoughts ... thanks!
>
> Steve
>
> > Regarding sharing Project settings with others - you can easily select the desired Project, click Copy button on toolbar and paste it to Notepad. Save it to a text file and send to your friends, etc.
> >
> > On another computer open the text file in Notepad, select whole text, copy it to clipboard and then click Paste button in Offline Explorer.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Oleg Chernavin
> > MP Staff
Oleg Chernavin 11/20/2003 03:09 am
> Another idea/question -- can multiple instance of OE Pro run on a single machine if they are loaded into separate folders under Program Files (like Offline Explore Pro and Offline Explorer Pro2 for example).

Yes, you can do it - simply run them from command line this way:

oe.exe /instance

> Can a single webdown.dat file in a "common" network folder be shared across multiple OE Pros on separate machines on a network?

You can specify its location in the Options dialog | File Locations

> I am part of a team of programmers that work with OE Pro and we need to easily share and update projects -- we find new sites to download but mostly we "revisit" exisiting projects after updating the embedded URL macros to reflect the total number of pages to be fetched. I am struggling with how best to share our projects without having to copy/paste/email/edit/copy/paste from 1 remote machine to another.

This will be a problem, because if two people will make changes to the same file, one of the change will be lost.

What if I would make a Web-based UI, so one would work with the standard Windows user interface and others - via a Web browser with the same Offline Explorer Pro instance on one computer?

> We are also struggling with only being able to execute a single instance of OE Pro per machine and would welcome suggestions on how to gain more download productivity per machine -- we have already licensed several copies of OE Pro and would license more if it makes sense.

This is possible with the /instance parameter, but you would better have separate webdown.dat files per each folder.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 11/20/2003 03:15 am
> Any ideas on how to automate the cut-n-paste process between different OE Pro instances? Is there a way to execute OE via command line with a parameter pointing to the webdown.dat file and giving a series of numbers representing the desired projects to download? -- it appears to me that each project is identified by an [Object] tag -- by providing the file name and a number (like 12) we could tell OE to load the project webdown and start downloading the 12th project (the project following the 12th [Object] tag).

You cannot specify a custom webdown.dat file yet, however you can easily run certain Project from the command line - you can see the list of all command-line parameters in the Help file.

Oleg.
Steve Sieloff 11/20/2003 09:42 am
Oleg --

So I cannot point OE Pro to a "common" folder on a network drive that contains a webdown.dat file that would be chared among other users?

What if, when all the programmers installed the software, they all specified the same path/folder for projects, templates and maps? Would all the OE Pros function correctly or would they be corrupted trying to share the common installation folder?

Also, can more than 1 licensed OE Pro be installed on a single PC under separate installation folders and be expected to run properly? This might be an opportunity for us to purchase more licenses!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

> > Any ideas on how to automate the cut-n-paste process between different OE Pro instances? Is there a way to execute OE via command line with a parameter pointing to the webdown.dat file and giving a series of numbers representing the desired projects to download? -- it appears to me that each project is identified by an [Object] tag -- by providing the file name and a number (like 12) we could tell OE to load the project webdown and start downloading the 12th project (the project following the 12th [Object] tag).
>
> You cannot specify a custom webdown.dat file yet, however you can easily run certain Project from the command line - you can see the list of all command-line parameters in the Help file.
>
> Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 11/20/2003 09:56 am
Steve,

No corruption will happen with the shared file. However, if two copies of OEP A & B work with the same file and they are both running, when A finishes, it saves its changes to webdown.dat file. Then B finishes and saves its own data to the same file. As a result, webdown.dat will contain Projects only from the B copy. If A had its changes or new Projects, they will be overwritten by B.

I know that the only way is to use a kind of database with Projects, however it is quite complex to organize.

The only way to make several OE copies to work independently is to install them in separate folders with webdown.dat files in each of them and make them run with oe.exe /instance command-line parameter.

Oleg.
Steve Sieloff 11/20/2003 10:00 am
Oleg --

> What if, when all the programmers installed the software, they all specified the same path/folder for projects, templates and maps? Would all the OE Pros function correctly or would they be corrupted trying to share the common installation folder?
>

I meant to say what if they all installed OE Pro to their own Program Files directory but pointed the product to use a common, network directory for

> Oleg --
>
> So I cannot point OE Pro to a "common" folder on a network drive that contains a webdown.dat file that would be chared among other users?
>
> What if, when all the programmers installed the software, they all specified the same path/folder for projects, templates and maps? Would all the OE Pros function correctly or would they be corrupted trying to share the common installation folder?
>
> Also, can more than 1 licensed OE Pro be installed on a single PC under separate installation folders and be expected to run properly? This might be an opportunity for us to purchase more licenses!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Steve
>
> > > Any ideas on how to automate the cut-n-paste process between different OE Pro instances? Is there a way to execute OE via command line with a parameter pointing to the webdown.dat file and giving a series of numbers representing the desired projects to download? -- it appears to me that each project is identified by an [Object] tag -- by providing the file name and a number (like 12) we could tell OE to load the project webdown and start downloading the 12th project (the project following the 12th [Object] tag).
> >
> > You cannot specify a custom webdown.dat file yet, however you can easily run certain Project from the command line - you can see the list of all command-line parameters in the Help file.
> >
> > Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 11/20/2003 03:42 pm
> I meant to say what if they all installed OE Pro to their own Program Files directory but pointed the product to use a common, network directory for

Yes, I understand that. It is possible, but only if you prevent all other people from using Offline Explorers at the same time.

> -- it appears to me that each project is identified by an [Object] tag -- by providing the file name and a number (like 12) we could tell OE to load the project webdown and start downloading the 12th project (the project following the 12th [Object] tag).

Yes, it is so, but not that way. You can run it by specifying the folder name and the Project number in that folder (zero-based):

oe.exe somefolder/2

If you want, I can make another command-line parameter to specify where to get the webdown.dat file.

Oleg.