Exported Project Problems - File/Directory Case, JavaScript References

Gerald 11/10/2003 09:13 am
Ran across two issues I am encountering when exporting projects and wanted to run them by you. There may be an option to control this.

1) When exporting (File->Export) or backing up (Tools->Backup/Restore) projects, files and directories are exported in all lower case. This poses a significant problem when attempting to view the exported projects on a UNIX based system, which is case sensitive. If the directory or filename was originally in upper or mixed case, links no longer function in the exported project. Names are stored in the original case within the project directory, however. Copying these files will allow viewing on a UNIX based system.

2) When exporting (File->Export) a project, JavaScript references do not seem to function properly. One example is http://sunsolve.sun.com/ . Access to the Sun System Handbook is accomplished through a list selection populated by a JavaScript routine. In the project itself, this seems to function, even when copying these files to another system and hosting on an Apache server. However, if the project is exported, the references no longer function properly. For instance:

When at the web site and selecting "Desktops/Workstations" in the first list and then "Sun Blade 150 (A41)" in the second list will generate the link:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunBlade150/SunBlade150.html

This is also the case in the native project directory. However, after exporting the project, the resulting link generated by the JavaScript becomes:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/default.htm/Systems/SunBlade150/SunBlade150.html

Thanks in advance,
Gerald
Gerald 11/17/2003 09:30 am
Any luck with the previous posted problem?
Oleg Chernavin 11/18/2003 11:20 am
Gerald,

I just tested the SunSolve site - I loaded the first page of the site and the page about SunBlade 150. Export converted all links properly - I had no /default.htm insertion and all links and filenames were converted to lowercase. I used standard extensions and original filenames (not 8+3 or Joliet formats). I also had Offline Links transaltion mode in the Project settings.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Gerald 11/20/2003 07:59 pm
Oleg,

Thanks for trying to recreate this. I appreciate the help. Don`t know how much more testing I`ll be able to accomplish as the 30 day trial is about to expire in 2 days, but I will try the settings that you mentioned. I originally did not use the "standard extensions" options as this is being rehosted on a local Intranet without Internet access using Apache. Other mirrored sites would link to this site improperly if the filenames were different. I`m using Apache`s URL rewrite rules to fix references such as show.pl?target=home to show.pl@target=home in the project.

As far as lower case file names, this is a problem when trying to view exported projects on UNIX based systems, but should not pose a problem on Windows based systems. UNIX file and directory names are case sensitive. A link such as:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunBlade150/SunBlade150.html

no longer functions on UNIX systems because the exported project file and directory becomes:

sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/systems/sunblade150/sunblade150.html

This would be a great time to suggest a change in future releases of OEP. Since downloaded projects are stored in the original character case as the site (i.e. SunBlade150 vice sunblade150), this should be maintained in the exported project. Additionally, it would be more practical to reduce the requirement for exporting the file system and let the user choose the format to store the downloaded site in.

Thanks for all your help!!

Gerald

Oleg Chernavin 11/21/2003 03:54 am
Gerald,

Yes, export makes all filenames lowercase. However it also makes all links lowercase in exported files, so links should work well between files in the exported site even on Unix systems.

Or do you mean that some other external HTML files refer to the exported site on your UNIX Web server?

You can also write us directly to support@metaproducts.com to speed up the communication. Thank you.

Oleg.
Gerald 11/22/2003 03:30 pm
Oleg,

I double checked and it appears that links are translated to all lower case. The problem I am having is with the JavaScript portion that produces the menu for equipment selection at the site. Links are in original website character case. This appears to be what is not working. Additionally, links within the JavaScript created list at sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl@target=home and sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/default.htm refer to the link as previously described...

sunsolve.sun.com\pub-cgi\default.htm\Systems\SunBlade150\SunBlade150.html

in the exported project, this should be:

sunsolve.sun.com\handbook_pub\systems\sunblade150\sunblade150.html

Thanks again for all the help!

Gerald
Oleg Chernavin 11/24/2003 09:13 am
I see now. Just fixed that. Do you need the updated version now?

Oleg.