Change windows/temp to other folder?

Gunnar 11/08/2003 05:21 am
It seems OE Pro first downloads to the windows/temp directory, and when the file(s) are done moves (finalizes) the files to to "where they should go".

My problem: My windows/temp (WinMe) is not large enough, I still try to keep C as a 2GB partition.

Q1: is this correct (files first going to the temp directory)
Q2: can I change some setting for OE Pro to use another directory as this temporary directory
Q3: any other solution??

Gunnar

PS Q4 What about a utility to check RealVideo files, that they are "basically correct", the headers, the data-size and especially the INDX chunk at the end?? (which isn`t there if all of the file was not downloaded)

That is, I`m working on a utility like that to additionally compare if two rm-files are the same streams although they are different using a pure binary comparison (the order of the datapackets, the streams, are sometimes in different order) However, I would rather buy a utility like or have it included in OE Pro as an additional final check
Gunnar 11/08/2003 10:15 pm
Anyone with an old WinCrash computer barely has any space left in the WinCrash/temp directory??

Additionally, there seem to be no OE-Pro code of handling the case of when that folder is running out of hard-disk space, the downloads just end without any (easily detected) warning.

My point, lots of, or at least some, potential customers running their C-drive as something barely surviving old win95(and-Bloath) installations on an original max 2GB partition?? (just like me)

Anyway, OE-Pro is great..
Oleg Chernavin 11/09/2003 05:11 pm
Hello,

Yes, all files go to Windows\Temp directory first. This is to protect already downloaded files (when you update an offline site) from partially downloaded files when connection breaks, you stop the download, etc.

Anyway, there is an easy way to change your Temp directory - just open the c:\autoexec.bat in Notepad and add the following line (change the line path if necessary):

TEMP=D:\TEMP

There is a warning when you run of of disk space - you will see the yellow blanking icon on the Status Bar. Clicking on it shows the reason of the warning.

Regarding an utility to check .RM files - sorry, but we do not plan to add it yet. However what Offline Explorer Pro does is it checks the already saved file length (in seconds) and tries to reget the stream from the stop position if the file is incomplete.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff
Gunnar 11/10/2003 10:20 pm
Me badly lost?? that worked with win95, which really booted from DOS, but not after that??

That is, my old autoexec.bat file seems to not have been executed since those days, although I have never taken the time to figure that out .

Gunnar

That is, I thought the more or less evolved version of WinDosCrash did not really,really bother with any config.sys nor autoexec.bat files anymore, or at least in a very discriminitary fashion??
But I have never had a really good reason to test it except for now, and..well.. me badly lost..

There is, anyway, better things to do than keeping up with WinDosCrash...
Gunnar 11/10/2003 10:26 pm
of re-booting and installing, luckily not reformatting.

Is there a Linux OE-Pro version?? (at least is funnier to install)
Oleg Chernavin 11/12/2003 02:28 pm
:-)

Well, if you want, I can make a change that will take the temporary directory setting from Windows Registry. I just don`t want to make it in the Options dialog, because it will only clatter it with no real use for 99.9% of users.

Oleg.
ohan 05/14/2004 03:15 pm
Please make it in the options, this matters to many people, if you want to transfer large files.

>
> Well, if you want, I can make a change that will take the temporary directory setting from Windows Registry. I just don`t want to make it in the Options dialog, because it will only clatter it with no real use for 99.9% of users.
>
> Oleg.
Robert 05/28/2004 03:16 am
> Please make it in the options, this matters to many people, if you want to transfer large files.
>
> >
> > Well, if you want, I can make a change that will take the temporary directory setting from Windows Registry. I just don`t want to make it in the Options dialog, because it will only clatter it with no real use for 99.9% of users.
> >
> > Oleg.

yeah it would be helpful if the temp directory can be changed from an Options menu like most other programs. I have Windows XP.
Oleg Chernavin 05/28/2004 12:18 pm
I decided to make it a Registry-only value. It will be named "TempDirectory". If it exists, Offline Explorer will load it and use as a temporary directory, otherwise the system default temp directory will be used.

I decided not to overload the Options dialog with it, because this setting will be used not by many people. If it works for you, let me know and I will provide you with the updated version.

Oleg.
Roz 05/29/2004 07:10 pm
> I decided to make it a Registry-only value. It will be named "TempDirectory". If it exists, Offline Explorer will load it and use as a temporary directory, otherwise the system default temp directory will be used.

Cool! Thanks Oleg a welcome addition as I`m using small multiboot partitions and large common storage areas on separate data only drives.

> I decided not to overload the Options dialog with it, because this setting will be used not by many people. If it works for you, let me know and I will provide you with the updated version.

Yes please.

However as users can choose to add/remove bar buttons I`d love to see this and other hidden special provided options put together without being properly visible to normal users.
Lots of programs have special "expert" modes/key combo to expand options on demand and hide
again once changes are made.

Roslyn
Oleg Chernavin 06/01/2004 07:40 am
You convinced me. I will add it to the Options dialog soon.

Oleg.
Oleg Chernavin 06/02/2004 08:45 am
Just added. Here is the new oe.exe file:

http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/oep1710.zip

Oleg.
Chip 06/02/2004 12:00 pm
Thanks......

I can use this also... Great idea..

Just love the quick response to issues and problems.. Unheard of for most companies.

You guys are an exception...

Thanks
Chip
Chip 06/02/2004 12:04 pm
Just installed it and my "Incorrect Version" problem went away...

2 fixes in one.... GREAT

Thanks
Chip
Oleg Chernavin 06/03/2004 02:54 am
That`s great to hear!

Thank you!

Oleg.