downloading a product database BIG PROBLEM

Author Message
Bob 10/22/2003 11:43 pm
I need some high level input on this..


i am trying to download a product database for referencing when i am on the road.

an example:

http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/productdescription.cfm?SKUNumber=094717307231

i am looking to download the entire product database.

the macro idea wont work for a numberical value because there is almost 1 trillion possibilities. I don`t want to go from 1-999,999,999,999 possibilities... Their sku`s range from 4 digits to 12 digits, the only possible way that i can think of is to somehow download their image library and use the file numbers as a reference. If someone with a high level of expierence with this kind of situation could help i would appreciate it.. .


another problem i ran into is that if i just goto download the website level limited it sometimes get stuck in a vicous loop of adding items to cart. (which is not a good thing)

Some help would be appreciated.

thanks
Oleg Chernavin 10/23/2003 10:26 am
Hello,

There are two ways only - to load the whole site or to enumerate all possible SKUs. The first looks to be better. To exclude adding items to the shopping cart, go to the Project Properties dialog | URL Filters | Filenames, select Custom configuration and add:

cart

to the excluded filename keywords list. This will prevent Offline Explorer from following all cart links.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
Bob 10/27/2003 10:30 pm
thanks alot for you input is very appreciated, but one problem i am running into now is that its not saving the product images for some reason

thanks
bob

> Hello,
>
> There are two ways only - to load the whole site or to enumerate all possible SKUs. The first looks to be better. To exclude adding items to the shopping cart, go to the Project Properties dialog | URL Filters | Filenames, select Custom configuration and add:
>
> cart
>
> to the excluded filename keywords list. This will prevent Offline Explorer from following all cart links.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg Chernavin
> MetaProducts corp.
Bob 10/27/2003 11:07 pm
sorry i need to correct myself, for some reason its not downloading the some of the gif images for links. any reason? not all just some.

my settings as follows:

www.bob.com

exclude "cart" for filenames

no level limit

download all files is checked off too.

let me know why i can`t DL the gif images for links. the tab seperation when you are in a product description page.

thanks
bob

> I need some high level input on this..
>
>
> i am trying to download a product database for referencing when i am on the road.
>
> an example:
>
> http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/productdescription.cfm?SKUNumber=094717307231
>
> i am looking to download the entire product database.
>
> the macro idea wont work for a numberical value because there is almost 1 trillion possibilities. I don`t want to go from 1-999,999,999,999 possibilities... Their sku`s range from 4 digits to 12 digits, the only possible way that i can think of is to somehow download their image library and use the file numbers as a reference. If someone with a high level of expierence with this kind of situation could help i would appreciate it.. .
>
>
> another problem i ran into is that if i just goto download the website level limited it sometimes get stuck in a vicous loop of adding items to cart. (which is not a good thing)
>
> Some help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
Oleg Chernavin 10/28/2003 07:12 am
Please open the Project Properties dialog, go to File Filters | Images and select "Load from any site" in the Location box. Click OK button to save changes. Does this help?

Oleg.
Bob 11/04/2003 01:18 pm
> Please open the Project Properties dialog, go to File Filters | Images and select "Load from any site" in the Location box. Click OK button to save changes. Does this help?
>
> Oleg.


still not downloading all the product images. let me know what else to do

thanks
Oleg Chernavin 11/05/2003 04:42 am
Can you please send me your Project settings to support@metaproducts.com ? Simply select the Project, click the Copy button on toolbar and paste to the E-mail message. I will see what can I do.

Oleg.