Exporting my troubles

Ashwin 10/04/2003 08:02 am

Hi Oleg,

Your expertise with in this matter is greatly appreciated.

The following URLs gleaned form today`s Google news relate to `Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear`.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_825516.html
http://www.itv.com/news/1050524.html
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30500-12809848,00.html

I have set a project named\captioned `Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear` to download only HTML files with a level limit of `0`. OE download`s the three URLs without a problem.

I want to be able to export the project to a directory without creating the original site`s directory structure. I don`t want to mirror the site`s original structure, I want to export using the `Do not create subdirectories` option.

I have checked the `Create contents file` option.

I have clicked the `Customize` button and in the `Contents file entry:` I have chosen

<li><a href="%URL%">%URL%</a><p>

OE exports the three URLs to a folder. The folder contains three files named:

0,,30500-12809848,00.html
1050524.html
sm_825516.html

No problem there.

Here`s where your expertise would be handy.

The contents.htm file in the exported folder only links to the story located at http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_825516.html (i.e. only the first URL).

<ContentsBody> tag only refers to the first URL.

<li><a href="sm_825516.html">sm_825516.html</a><p>

When opened in the browser it views as

Exported Projects:
sm_825516.html

In an effort to know where the story came from, this time I customized the contents.htm Contents file entry to read
<li><a href="%URL%">%OriginalURL%</a><p>

Now when viewed in a browser the contents.htm file displays as:

Exported Projects:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_825516.html
http://www.itv.com/news/1050524.html http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30500-12809848,00.html

The <ContentsBody> tag properly refers to all the URLs.

The three URLs are presented on TWO lines. Now, I know where the stories came from. The problem? Clicking on any link, links only to the sm_825516.html (the first URL in the list i.e. the ananova story in this instance)

So, how do I get the contents file to display the above three URLs on DIFFERENT line whilst LINKING to the THREE files on THREE different lines.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Ashwin

PS - Would it be possible to have a macro for the `Destination directory to copy downloaded Web sites`

I tried this one out! OE creates a folder literally named %Caption%! So that one can, say, export to `c:\exported\%Caption%`. This would have OE to export to a folder named after the caption/project name like `c:\exported\Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear`

For your information `Destination` is misspelt as `Destinaton` in the dialog box.

PPS - The same situation persists if one does not use the `Do not create subdirectories option.

PPPS - How do I get the contents file to display all the URLs on a separate line?

PPPPS - Does export faster option skip existing files? Documentation needed. Why can`t one get the faster export selected automatically. It gets unchecked each time.

PPPPPS - OE overwrites existing files with the same URL. It gives no warning whatsoever!

Oleg Chernavin 10/09/2003 09:07 am
I am sorry, but I cannot come with any good solution here, except separating these 3 URLs by 3 Projects and exporting them altogether.

What do you mean under "macro for the `Destination directory to copy downloaded Web sites`"?

Faster Export doesn`t skip files. It just skips overloaded directories checks and do not correct links in moved files. Since simple sites ae not rare, it really makes the export about 2 times faster.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
Ashwin 10/10/2003 07:00 am

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for your time and attention.

> What do you mean under "macro for the `Destination
> directory to copy downloaded Web sites`"?

Since the above project was title "Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear", I would have liked OE to create and export this project to a sub-folder under "c:\exports" to a sub-folder named after the project. Namely, "c:\export\Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear"

Of course, I can always type the name of the sub-folder and OE would kindly create it. I was wondering if this sub-folder creation named after the project name can be created automatically via a macro.

I understand that for the time being the solution is to "separate these 3 URLs by 3 Projects and exporting them altogether."

Thank you.

I had also tried using the `singleurl=` syntax. I`m curious to know if the `singleurl=` syntax basically downloads a project like a download manager without parsing it. I`m aware that the above will set a project to a level equal to `0`. What I want to know is with the above syntax will the downloaded files be parsed? I can download many URLs with a download manager, but I would not be able to preserve the folder structure of the original site.

Since I`m only interested in downloading lot of URLs whilst preserving their site structure, I`m hoping that they won`t be parsed. This would in effect make OE a lot faster in effect because it won`t be burdened with parsing the file.

All in all, thanks for you timely response.

Ashwin
Oleg Chernavin 10/13/2003 11:03 am
> Thank you for your time and attention.

You are welcome!

> > What do you mean under "macro for the `Destination
> > directory to copy downloaded Web sites`"?
>
> Since the above project was title "Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear", I would have liked OE to create and export this project to a sub-folder under "c:\exports" to a sub-folder named after the project. Namely, "c:\export\Beyonce Loves her Kylie underwear"
>
> Of course, I can always type the name of the sub-folder and OE would kindly create it. I was wondering if this sub-folder creation named after the project name can be created automatically via a macro.

The problem would be when you export several Projects at once (by selecting them all) - Offline Explorer will not know which Project name to use as the folder name.

> I had also tried using the `singleurl=` syntax. I`m curious to know if the `singleurl=` syntax basically downloads a project like a download manager without parsing it. I`m aware that the above will set a project to a level equal to `0`. What I want to know is with the above syntax will the downloaded files be parsed? I can download many URLs with a download manager, but I would not be able to preserve the folder structure of the original site.
>
> Since I`m only interested in downloading lot of URLs whilst preserving their site structure, I`m hoping that they won`t be parsed. This would in effect make OE a lot faster in effect because it won`t be burdened with parsing the file.

I am sorry, but OE decided whether some file should be parsed or not basing on its MIME type and extension. SingleURL was added only to support dropping single URLs from MS IE browser - when such URL is being added to the Project. Such URL gets loaded with Level=0. It is also parsed and linked images get loaded as well.

Oleg.