flash links

mz 09/30/2003 04:48 am
dear oleg

i have been reading this forum for a couple of days and i must say the quality of your tech support is remarkable.

i just startred using your prog and i have a number of general questions, which i rather ask one ISSUE at a time. here goes the first set re FLASH:

if i am not mirroring/cloning a site, i SUPPOSE your prog works by examining a link and following it and downloading it.

- when another page is called from a user action in a flash movie, does your prog see it and load the link?

- as you may now flash uses a method of loading other flash movies into itself, by calling other *.swf to an internal level upon user action, does your prog see that call

(if this is to vague, www.cyan-animatica.com is full of these examples. but it being a simply constructed site, mirroring is obviously the answer. however i need to know how this would work in a more complicated situation)

- finally flash can also request a document through an fscommand set sent to the browser and processed through javascript in the page (at least this is how i understand it), are these requests seen and downloaded?
example:www.dnaftb.org\dnaftb

thank you in advance
Oleg Chernavin 09/30/2003 07:57 am
Hello,

Offline Explorer includes Flash parser. This means that Offline Explorer loads an .swf file, unpacks it (if it is a packed Flash 6 movie) and analyses its structure. It tries to find all links the file contains. Then these links are also loaded and they are converted to offline file locations when necessary.

While Offline Explorer gets most links in Flash files, I already noticed few site examples when links were not retrieved. As I was able to understand, such Flash files calculate links somehow from several parts and therefore it is impossible to follow such links. At least, now.

Anyway, if you will notice that certain links are not followed in Flash files, please let me know particular URLs and I will see what could be done.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MetaProducts corp.
mz 09/30/2003 10:06 am
you wrote:
> While Offline Explorer gets most links in Flash files, I already noticed few site examples when links were not retrieved. As I was able to understand, such Flash files calculate links somehow from several parts and therefore it is impossible to follow such links. At least, now.
>
> Anyway, if you will notice that certain links are not followed in Flash files, please let me know particular URLs and I will see what could be done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.dnaftb.org\dnaftb

if you get a positive result, could you send me the approriate settings

thank you
mz
Oleg Chernavin 10/02/2003 08:51 am
I loaded the site. I used Level=4 and added .swf extension to the File Filters | User Defined section (also make sure that it has "Load from any site" selected in its Location box). This worked well.

Oleg.